Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I dropped off my Latitude today at the dealership. Water was getting trapped in the doors. I've seen a few posts on here from a few people with the same issue but haven't found any updates.

I brought mine in this morning and was told they'd be doing some water testing on it. Then around 4pm I'm told they want to keep it overnight and will call me tomorrow with updates.

:( I miss my Jeep.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's been reported in another thread that sometimes the dealer doesn't remove some type of tape from the drain slots on the bottom of the door.
Also, the rubber bumpers in the top corners of the doors weren't installed. Without them is just a hole at the top of the door (for the screw). I remember reading about that on here. The ancillary problem was tape over the bottom drains along the bottom of the doors. I want to say I read that someone's dealer TAPED the doors rather than removing tape in order to help the whistling and/or water issue at hand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My passenger side door collects water between the running board and door. Releases only when door is opened. Chrysler and dealer and star said it is normal. I do not accept this out of a new vehicle. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My passenger side door collects water between the running board and door. Releases only when door is opened. Chrysler and dealer and star said it is normal. I do not accept this out of a new vehicle. Any suggestions?
Did you ask them what happens in the winter when the water freezes and you cannot open your door?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Did you ask them what happens in the winter when the water freezes and you cannot open your door?
The water build up it sounds like they are describing is normal rather than buildup/retention within the door itself. Having it on mine, I do not suspect it will prevent the door from opening come winter.

I do think that come winter there will be an annoyance that comes to light, which is water in the rear spoiler. Given the drainage engineered, the water that gets in it is expected to be there. But it will linger for days if you don't open the gate and let it drain. I can see that becoming a rattle fest come freezing temps. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The water build up it sounds like they are describing is normal rather than buildup/retention within the door itself. Having it on mine, I do not suspect it will prevent the door from opening come winter.

I do think that come winter there will be an annoyance that comes to light, which is water in the rear spoiler. Given the drainage engineered, the water that gets in it is expected to be there. But it will linger for days if you don't open the gate and let it drain. I can see that becoming a rattle fest come freezing temps. We shall see.
I have no idea what any of that means.

·
Registered
149 Posts

As long as it still opens I'm ok with rattling. I've had to accept that my current car doesn't have a trunk in the dead of winter because it gets ice built up where it meets the body and it's impossible to get open.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will ask them that, good question! Also, I suggested they fix it now before any rust down the road. I think they want to wait until my warranty ends. :-( I think they are done with me since they have done about $13,000 worth of warranty work on the vehicle already. I purchased it in March and it has been in for repairs a total of two months. boooo

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will ask them that, good question! Also, I suggested they fix it now before any rust down the road. I think they want to wait until my warranty ends. :-( I think they are done with me since they have done about $13,000 worth of warranty work on the vehicle already. I purchased it in March and it has been in for repairs a total of two months. boooo

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I have no idea what any of that means.
There's been at least two kinds of water build up in the doors discussed.

1) water being retained within the door itself and failing to drain. This is a problem that needs fixing if you have it.

2) that drained water hanging out between the door and the door sill of the car for extended periods of time. This appears normal/intentional as every renegade I have encountered does it. You open the door after a good rain and it squeegees out some water. I suspect if frozen the weather stripping will just ride over the top of it.

During rain, the spoiler gets water in it. Open up the lift gate even days after a storm, water comes running out. This appears to be as designed as there are gutters and drainage paths designed in to ensure this water doesn't get on you, in the car, or pool anywhere.

If you have rain and then a drop to freezing temps, I suspect the first good bump in the road will leave you with a spoiler full of ice chunks. We'll find out come winter unless anyone in the eu who had one really early can tell us about it

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
There's been at least two kinds of water build up in the doors discussed.

1) water being retained within the door itself and failing to drain. This is a problem that needs fixing if you have it.

2) that drained water hanging out between the door and the door sill of the car for extended periods of time. This appears normal/intentional as every renegade I have encountered does it. You open the door after a good rain and it squeegees out some water. I suspect if frozen the weather stripping will just ride over
the top of it.

During rain, the spoiler gets water in it. Open up the lift gate even days after a storm, water comes running out. This appears to be as designed as there are gutters and drainage paths designed in to ensure this water doesn't get on you, in the car, or pool anywhere.

If you have rain and then a drop to freezing temps, I suspect the first good bump in the road will leave you with a spoiler full of ice chunks. We'll find out come winter unless anyone in the eu who had one really early can tell us about it

I assume it will be a good idea to open all the doors regularly even if you are not needing to. Is this something to do with the water fording ability?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I assume it will be a good idea to open all the doors regularly even if you are not needing to. Is this something to do with the water fording ability?
The door drainage holes and double weather stripping are. The wide sills are due to making it very rigid for off roading.

The spoiler is just because? No idea why.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My first trip to the dealership really only diagnosed the problem. They claimed to have fixed it but a week later I was having the same issue. I brought it to another dealership, they seemed way more knowledgeable about renegades. I had to leave my latitude over night as they need to order parts (gaskets) to reinstall all the doors since the first dealership I brought it to installed them wrong.

I haven't noticed any water since then but then again it's only rained a little here.

So, I bought a brand new Jeep that has defective weatherstrips. Is there some type of discount for this? LOL TJ Max is usually really good about taking money off when someone is irregular. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We have some pretty heavy rain since I got my renegade. I have not been aware of any of these issues.
The only thing I have noticed is that water hits the seats when the doors are open when it is actually raining.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
We have some pretty heavy rain since I got my renegade. I have not been aware of any of these issues.
The only thing I have noticed is that water hits the seats when the doors are open when it is actually raining.
Saw this thread pop up. I have a bit more insight after changing out the front door speakers and having a couple of close encounters with the weather stripping.

The weather stripping is perforated to let water drain through it. If you follow it around the edge of the door, you will find there are a couple of spots that do not have the little barbed rubber pokey bits that secure it to the door (I suspect due to the internal structure of the door). These extra long runs of no support/fastening to the door can wiggle. If the bottom one wiggles it can kink the stripping, if it wiggles enough to pop one of the adjoining barbs out, it kinks it a lot. If it kinks, instead of draining rapidly, it just keeps on dripping for days after it gets wet because the stripping drains slowly.

At least that is what appears to be going on. When re-installing my door panel, I knocked one of the barbed bits out of the door on the bottom, and it stopped doing it's usual drying out quickly after rain.

If you do what I did to the unsupported section up to, I suspect you will get water inside the door. IT should still drain out the drainage slots, but that might explain what is causing water entry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.