Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a hilarious run-in out in public that I thought you guys would appreciate.

For the record - the Renegade is my wife's. It's a 2016 Trailhawk and she love this thing. Okay, onto the story:

Me and my wife had to swap cars so I was in the Renegade for the day. I left the office to go grab lunch, and parked far away from the rest of humanity near the restaurant since our Jeep is just a shy over 1,000 miles still. After eating lunch I walked out of the restaurant and caught a car make a dangerously sharp turn right in front of my jeep. After the turn, it quickly stopped and the driver proceeded to get out.

"Oh SH**" I thought, this lady just cut into our brand new jeep and hit it.

The closer I got the woman was staring at the right side of the vehicle. "Yep, she definitely clipped it" I thought to myself.

Once I got within ear shot I shouted over to her "Can I help you?" and pressed the unlock button on the Jeep to grab my insurance info.

The woman turned to me, "Is this your Jeep?" I nodded - then she said "Oh my God, I'm in love with this thing! I want to get one right now, I've never seen one of these before!"

I start laughing after realizing she didn't hit it and tell her, "thanks, it's my wife's she loves it."

Then I turn to see that she's driving a loaded 2015 BMW X5!

We spoke for a bit, and I let her see the interior briefly, which she loved just as much (MySky roof, interior colors, etc). I jokingly tried barbering with her to see if she'd swap her BMW for my Jeep, but I'm pretty sure my wife would have killed me!

I thought you guys would really appreciate this one. Even people driving 60+ thousand dollar BMWs can appreciate the Renegade for what it offers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great story :) Lucky no damages but happiness. Well, you know what? The more I visit Renegade forums, owners group, see who's driving the Renegade in my area and the more I understand that this Jeep was designed for women. Just in my area, I'll be (not yet delivered) the only man to have one. All were ladies driving their Rene !!!!

Should men be shy driving a Rene?

The only Rene men's are most driving is the Trailhawk but I can't afford it.

Like the Minis or Fiat 500, women are crazy about it. Is the Rene the women SUV?

Maybe some ladies or wife members on this forum can tell more about their choice and what they think about men driving it.

Ummm I don't want to be seen as a feminine man which I'm not. The irony is that my wife did like it very much and we always decide together before buying a car (she is the right seat passenger) so she did push me to purchase that silver Renegade.

So I read all these articles on the forum to get my Rene a more masculine looking with vinyl hood, lift, all terrain tires, roof rack with cargo basket... Like to add these but wife will say no for sure :( Help me fellow members !!!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've owned several BMWs and they are fun cars. She could buy 3 Renegades for 1 BMW.

As for it being 'designed for women..." the 1988 white with tan leather E30 M3 was always called 'a girls car'. LOL. Those arses have shut up now. I only wish the wife hadn't made me trade it in for a minivan.

The Suzuki Samuri 4x4 'was a girls car" too. Nobody's saying that now. Also wish i'd kept it.

The Renegade will also develop into a kick-arse 4x very quickly.

Waiting on 200 horses please.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great story :) Lucky no damages but happiness. Well, you know what? The more I visit Renegade forums, owners group, see who's driving the Renegade in my area and the more I understand that this Jeep was designed for women. Just in my area, I'll be (not yet delivered) the only man to have one. All were ladies driving their Rene !!!!

Should men be shy driving a Rene?

The only Rene men's are most driving is the Trailhawk but I can't afford it.

Like the Minis or Fiat 500, women are crazy about it. Is the Rene the women SUV?

Maybe some ladies or wife members on this forum can tell more about their choice and what they think about men driving it.

Ummm I don't want to be seen as a feminine man which I'm not. The irony is that my wife did like it very much and we always decide together before buying a car (she is the right seat passenger) so she did push me to purchase that silver Renegade.

So I read all these articles on the forum to get my Rene a more masculine looking with vinyl hood, lift, all terrain tires, roof rack with cargo basket... Like to add these but wife will say no for sure :( Help me fellow members !!!
In my area I'm seeing mostly teenagers driving it. There's like 3 parked outside the highschool around the corner from me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a woman and I'll chime in as to why I got the Renegade. I was getting tired of driving a large pick up truck around, but never really saw any cars I wanted to trade it in for. I considered the Jeep Wrangler because it looked fun and it still rode higher than most cars, BUT I did not like the back window blocked by the spare tire and a lot of what I read indicated mechanical issues and unreliability. I am in no way a mechanic and frequent visits to the service department did not appeal to me. Then the Renegade came out and it seemed like a happy medium with better gas mileage. Can't say I fell in love with it at first site, but once I started seriously shopping for one I did fall in love with the Trailhawk I got.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My previous car was a 4dr civic, so I have no ego when it comes to vehicles. I like my TrailHawk, especially now that its lifted and am about to put wheels and tires on it. It is a "cute" looking vehicle in stock form, especially in the other models, but that doesn't bother me. I liked the size, comfort & fuel mileage, plus the fact that its pretty offroad capable for when I may need it(or just WANT to use it).

As far as in my area, mostly older people and kids are driving them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can totally relate the attention, being that I'm in Australia and Renegades are rare as hen's teeth, and a yellow Trail Hawk really stands out here. But it's cool, I get looks 24-7, so many people don't know what it is but I think it's really funky compared to all the drab Asian SUVs/4WDs.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The Renegade is a great looking vehicle and appeals to men & women of all ages. Its looks are unique, but still scream Jeep.

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
The Renegade is a great looking vehicle and appeals to men & women of all ages.
Exactly.

Whenever I see the "for girls" or "for boys" posts I feel like I'm back in kindergarten. It's irrelevant unless, for some reason, you have to drive with your genitals.

Drive what *you* like!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I knew this Toyota sales guy that had been selling Toyotas forever. He told me that when the FJ Cruiser first came out, the only people buying them were rich fathers to give to their college girls. Now I know the Renegade will never rank up there with the FJ but it goes to show you how peoples perception changes over time. Small an mini SUV's are very popular now. People are moving away from the big heavy SUV's and the only thing that keeps them going is that the gas prices are low right now but that wont last forever.

·
Registered
79 Posts
tazzel, depending on where you live but mostly in the US, consumers still have faith on big SUV and trucks or cars whatsoever gas price because of comfort, huge miles of roads, large spaces, pride...

In Europe it's different, these renegades are designed for the european & chinese market called sub-compact SUV (small and short) rather than U.S. market (full size SUV) it is a direct competitor to those Asian and some European SUV (Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Renault, Kia, Subaru, Dacia, Fiat...) and that'a one reason you don't see much of these Renegades in town.
By the way, I don't know if you ever seem a parking slot in France and other part of Europe, it's tiny, you won't park a hummer are Lincoln Navigator in it or you could not open the doors if cars around.

For many, the Renegade will be the 1st Jeep (me included) they have purchased because of the affordable price and the JEEP spirit. Others like previous Wrangler or Big cars owners are a minority of people that likes the look, gas economy and fun of the Renegade and buy the more expensive Trailhawker.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have had 3 people stop and talk to me about my TH..all women
My wife and I pick our our own vehicles and this is the first of mine in a long time she really likes and I buy a new car every 2 years

·
Registered
1 Posts
i liked your story! I co worker has a beautiful Wrangler and wants to buy a Renegade! I have the Latitude (loaded) white, black trim, manual transmission, 4wd, my sky. I want to get KCs for my "Rowdy" but don't know how to go about looking, installing etc. Are they out there for Renegades yet?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Today, during a family diner I showed the Renegade catalog (mine not yet delivered) and told my family members that I've order one.
My sister in law just bought a Subaru Forester and my Step father will buy a Subaru XV.

My sister in law said that she went at a Jeep dealer before buying her Forester to check the Cherokee and saw the Renegade too. She and her boy friend said that it was the most awful SUV on the market. Cubic looking..... Then my step parent said it's an ugly car but every people have it's own taste. He also add it doesn't have any class.

They like asian or german style of SUV design and that's exactly what I hate because it's too comon. You see it everyday same style.

What should I reply next time? Maybe : "I'm a RENEGADE" like the X-ambassadors song lyrics:

"And I said hey
Hey, hey, hey
Living like we're renegades
Long live the pioneers
Rebels and mutineers
Go forth and have no fear
Come close and lend an ear"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbk3VD3mrJ4

For me and wife there is no doubt it's our best found SUV, I love the size, design, look, fun... And JEEP is a lifestyle and F*** that class thing!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
My sister in law said that she went at a Jeep dealer before buying her Forester to check the Cherokee and saw the Renegade too. She and her boy friend said that it was the most awful SUV on the market. Cubic looking..... Then my step parent said it's an ugly car but every people have it's own taste. He also add it doesn't have any class.
For me and wife there is no doubt it's our best found SUV, I love the size, design, look, fun... And JEEP is a lifestyle and F*** that class thing!!!
hmm maybe this is why I like my BU..here is one of my old vehicles
[URL=http://s16.photobucket.com/user/eclipt/media/bb/IMG_0613.jpg.html][/URL]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.