Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my sister just got a brand new renegade like two weeks ago and she absolutely loves it. I have a 21 wrangler four-door and I love it but I’m unexpectedly moving and I’m going to be much farther away from work so sadly I think it’s better off if I trade it in and get a smaller vehicle that’s a little bit better on gas lol.

I was looking at a new renegade Trailhawk. It’s in my price range and still has if you call it four-wheel-drive and 4 lock. Which my wrangler doesn’t even have lol. My question is, I’m used to full size wranglers and my trucks having a 21 fuel tank. So I can go 350 to 400 miles on a take no problem but with these having I think a 12 1/2 gallon tank, can you still get good gas range on a tank? like can you only go like 200 or 250 miles on a tank of gas or can you go like 300 or maybe reach 350? I know I’ll be saving on gas no matter what which is great but I don’t wanna have to fill up every 200 miles with a smaller gas tank you know what I mean? Any help thank you

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Renegade Altitude 1.3L 4WD
85 Posts
My best tank to date was 386 miles on 11.6 gallons, so averaged 33.3mpg and mind you this was through Florida "Hill Country" with Cruise set at 72mph. Normally I get about 326 miles per tank hwy which is about 28mpg. I have a 2022 Altitude 4x4 w/ a 1.3L Turbo engine, straight piped, custom cold air intake, GFB Diverter, stock 18" wheels and Tires.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yeah... As you may know, the Renegade (to include Trailhawk) has a fuel capacity of 12.7 gallons. That's pretty small.

Plus, the fuel economy of the 1.3T engine isn't as great as you'd expect.

I do notice, on long trips, that I have to fill up more often than I'm used to. And that I go through fuel pretty fast when crawling offroad, in 4WD. Can't tell you how many miles to the tank, because I never let the tank get more than half empty.

That having been said, it's not an issue for me for every-day around-town driving.

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
2.4L trailhawk. Absolute best gas mileage on a road trip 100% highway driving gas station to gas station with lots of cruise control was 285 miles getting about 27mpg.

Doing heavy city and stop and go, I've never gotten less than 18.7mpg.

With the current state of the frimware in the car and a more balanced commute, 20-21mpg with a 50-50 mix is typical.

250 miles is about the realistic limit for the trailhawk in 2.4l for a fill up and hit the highway situation in actual traffic.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I don't think it's not really helpful to say how much we're getting between fill-ups, unless we also say how much we're putting in. Are we filling up at a half tank? Or when almost empty?

I just checked the latest mileage and fuel usage on my 2021 Trailhawk with the 1.3T engine. Understanding the displayed fuel usage isn't 100% accurate, it's showing 67.7 mi and 25.4 MPG.

That's actually better than I thought. I'd reset the counter at the end of an offroad drive last week, but still on Rampart Range road -- so it was still about 7 miles on a dirt road doing 35 MPH. But the rest of that has been around town in Colorado Springs here. Stop-and-go at red lights, some highway, but no flat-out Interstate driving.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Latitude 2.4 AT, 4x4
25 Posts
Just took trip from Atlanta to Georgia in my 2.4L 4x4. Driving at 70-75 on interstate and filling up with down to range of less than 50 miles, my mpg was 25 - 27 and filling up at 270 - 300 miles. Not sure where this 29 mpg highway came from. Maybe driving at steady 55 mph.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Just took trip from Atlanta to Georgia in my 2.4L 4x4. Driving at 70-75 on interstate and filling up with down to range of less than 50 miles, my mpg was 25 - 27 and filling up at 270 - 300 miles. Not sure where this 29 mpg highway came from. Maybe driving at steady 55 mph.
Well, yeah. :) As others have pointed out, this thing is a bit of an aerodynamic toaster on the highway. And 75 MPH will result in significantly more aerodynamic drag than 55 MPH...

·
Registered
2021 Trailhawk
40 Posts
I don't think it's not really helpful to say how much we're getting between fill-ups, unless we also say how much we're putting in. Are we filling up at a half tank? Or when almost empty?

I just checked the latest mileage and fuel usage on my 2021 Trailhawk with the 1.3T engine. Understanding the displayed fuel usage isn't 100% accurate, it's showing 67.7 mi and 25.4 MPG.

That's actually better than I thought. I'd reset the counter at the end of an offroad drive last week, but still on Rampart Range road -- so it was still about 7 miles on a dirt road doing 35 MPH. But the rest of that has been around town in Colorado Springs here. Stop-and-go at red lights, some highway, but no flat-out Interstate driving.

I am the same, I get anywhere from 25-28 mpgs, with the average at about 26-26.5mpg. ( I use a phone app to track the gallons/odometer reading every fill up) The 28 was a once in a lifetime event and I have been chasing it ever since I bought the TH back in 2021 new. This is country road driving, with a 20 rt commute. Highway might push me towards the 28mpgs if I use cruise control, but I haven't had the opportunity to do any lengthy highway travel to test it out. Of course mpgs depend on alot, how much air is the tires, wind drag, weight inside vehicle, driving style etc. But I feel it'll be better than wrangler mpgs in the long run.

·
Registered
2022 Renegade Altitude-Alpine White
18 Posts
I get 28mpg just about every tank in my 22 altitude.

I typically get 300 miles before I fill up.

My wife drove my renegade for a week because her car was in the body shop. She got 24mpg. But she has a lead foot and doesn’t understand the difference between taking off easy and full throttle.

I don’t drive slow but I try to be efficient with my driving

1 - 13 of 13 Posts