Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the renegade I’m thinking of buying. I’ve done my research. I know of the oil consumption problems and the 4x4 system failures and warnings. I know it’s basically a fiat 500x. And I know Chrysler is known for reliability these days. Certainly much less is compared to Toyota and Honda.

BUT - I’m wondering how I can inspect this renegade when I test drive it for these issues? I’ve read enough reports now to wonder if most Renegade owners are giving up their vehicles? It’s hard to tell how reliable these cars actually are, and I’d like to hear more from you all.

What do you guys think of purchasing a used Renegade? It will be my only vehicle and I’ll be taking it up mountain trials in western Montana and else where a few times a month. I don’t have a daily commute. And there will be some days I won’t drive at all since I work from home a lot.

It’s this renegade or a new Subaru Crosstrek or Outback.

What do you guys think? I’m partial to the Renegade, but I’m not sold yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had to remove the link. Forum wouldn’t let me post otherwise.

Milden burger motors in Hamilton, MT is the dealer.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a used FCA product unless you had an acceptable alternative mode of transportation. That could be another vehicle, your feet, or resources (and a means) to procure transportation.

Fully expect it to leave you stranded someday when you don't want it to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s not encouraging. Are you jesting? You could say that about many used vehicles. Now you’re making a goood case for the new Subaru crosstrek.

My biggest concern is the engine oil burning. Sounds like the fix is to have the manufacturer replace the engine. That seems to happen way below 30k miles for most folks that have reported it.

There’s no way for me to know if this is s problem with this renegade short of seeing maintenance records or driving around for 7k miles myself.

·
Registered
433 Posts
That’s not encouraging. Are you jesting? You could say that about many used vehicles. Now you’re making a goood case for the new Subaru crosstrek.

My biggest concern is the engine oil burning. Sounds like the fix is to have the manufacturer replace the engine. That seems to happen way below 30k miles for most folks that have reported it.

There’s no way for me to know if this is s problem with this renegade short of seeing maintenance records or driving around for 7k miles myself.
I'll be totally honest. I bought my 2017 Latitude in August 2018 used from a Jeep dealership. It was "certified pre-owned" which is supposed to mean something. It was an Avis rental vehicle. I know all the horror stories about buying rental cars because people thrash the snot out of them. But also rental companies maintain their vehicles and all maintenance was done at a Jeep dealership. I bought it with concern but no fears (and a 6 year 120,000 mile bumper to bumper zero deductible warranty from my credit union) because my normal daily driver died and I needed a new ride NOW.

A few days later I excitedly found this site. I read with abject fear about all the issues. My initial love for this Renegade plummeted rapidly. RAPIDLY. Those damn Easter eggs grated on my nerves. Every time I fill up I give that damn Italian spider the finger. I check my oil more often than I mow my yard. My engine doesn't "drink" oil, but I gotta top it off a tad every now and then. Never dropped to the OMG level when I check, but all my previous vehicles used NO oil between changes. This web site has been both a cursing and a blessing.

Is my Jeep one of the "problem child" ? No. It's running great with zero issues. But I wait. It has brought me closer to God, because each morning I say a little prayer before hitting the start button and say a little thank-you every evening when I get home issue free.

So to those thinking about buying a private party sale used Renegade with no warranty I say, "Run hard. Run fast.". You don't know the history of the vehicle and have no recourse when you drive away unless you invest in a hella good aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be totally honest. I bought my 2017 Latitude in August 2018 used from a Jeep dealership. It was "certified pre-owned" which is supposed to mean something. It was an Avis rental vehicle. I know all the horror stories about buying rental cars because people thrash the snot out of them. But also rental companies maintain their vehicles and all maintenance was done at a Jeep dealership. I bought it with concern but no fears (and a 6 year 120,000 mile bumper to bumper zero deductible warranty from my credit union) because my normal daily driver died and I needed a new ride NOW.

A few days later I excitedly found this site. I read with abject fear about all the issues. My initial love for this Renegade plummeted rapidly. RAPIDLY. Those damn Easter eggs grated on my nerves. Every time I fill up I give that damn Italian spider the finger. I check my oil more often than I mow my yard. My engine doesn't "drink" oil, but I gotta top it off a tad every now and then. Never dropped to the OMG level when I check, but all my previous vehicles used NO oil between changes. This web site has been both a cursing and a blessing.

Is my Jeep one of the "problem child" ? No. It's running great with zero issues. But I wait. It has brought me closer to God, because each morning I say a little prayer before hitting the start button and say a little thank-you every evening when I get home issue free.

So to those thinking about buying a private party sale used Renegade with no warranty I say, "Run hard. Run fast.". You don't know the history of the vehicle and have no recourse when you drive away unless you invest in a hella good aftermarket warranty.
Yeah, I have the same mind set. The reality is FCAs aren't as reliable as a modern car should be. Jeep isn't jeep any longer. It's a brand name and that is it. I'm still interested in buying the Renegade, but I don't have want daily driver to die on me despite my taking care of it.

It'll get mostly highway miles, but it will also see trails and perhaps the occasional lite towing.

Subaru's have similar rando problems, but I'm heard less Horror stories about them.

You shouldn't have to cross your fingers when you get into and out of your vehicle. You should be able to trust that will regular maintenance the car will start without issue. And that when something does come up, there is a reliable means for you to have the issue acknowledged and fixed.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
. . . What do you guys think? I’m partial to the Renegade, but I’m not sold yet.
My 2015 has been trouble free since I bought it new in April 2015. however, I don't think I would buy a used 2015 model since there were indeed a few problems in that first year (for the USA; 2014's were sold in Europe).

Models 2016 and newer should be okay. Check every knob, switch, function, etc. to ensure everything works as it should.

·
Registered
132 Posts

could not have said it better

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2015 has been trouble free since I bought it new in April 2015. however, I don't think I would buy a used 2015 model since there were indeed a few problems in that first year (for the USA; 2014's were sold in Europe).

Models 2016 and newer should be okay. Check every knob, switch, function, etc. to ensure everything works as it should.
I test drove the TH I'm considering today. It looks like it is in great shape, no marks on the paint, tires still good shape, nothing missing, no dings. Seems to drive and shift fine, all of the off road modes worked fine.

BUT, I found that the passenger side speaker is crackling (or even cuts out for a second) and the rear wiper fluid ejector doesn't spew out fluid.

The dealer wants $19,995 for it. 2017 TH with 27k miles, still have a wee bit left on the basic factory warranty. Jeep dealer in my area said they should be able to fix those issues under warranty after diagnostics and the service manager felt that price was a bit high for this vehicle. What do you guys think?

I'm asking the dealer to drop it to $18.5k. If not, I'll just get a new TH for just under 24,885k out the door. I don't feel comfortable spending $20k on a used one that has those minors issues. Plus, I think I like the new interior and turbo engine better. I"ll know for sure tomorrow evening when I take one for a spin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would not buy a used Jeep, nor will I buy another Jeep as the reliability for me has not been there. We purchased a new 2018 Jeep Renegade in March 2018 and have had major issues:
1. The Jeep caught on fire at 13,000 miles last November while parked - long back and forth with the dealership, FCA Corporate, etc. and they determined it did so because of a missing engine shield that allowed leaves to ignite and a fire to travel to the underhood area. And no, it was not parked on leaves.... and no one could tell us why the engine shield was missing. Almost $9000 in repairs and 3 months in the shop; thank goodness for car insurance as FCA refused to cover the damages.
2. Problems with the Service Hill Start Assist warning and ESC indicator light issues at 13,200 miles and less than 2 weeks after we finally picked it up from the dealership for the fire repair - warranty repair that includes 3 trips back and forth to the dealer, replacement of the brake switch and the ABS system module, and on the 3rd try, a software update.
3. Numerous rattles on the left front drivers side that no one can seem to pinpoint since last October - not the springs, not the sway bars, etc. We are learning just to ignore it at this point!

So, I have a 2018 Jeep with about 19,000 miles that I purchased 1-1/2 years ago brand new that I am waiting for something else to go wrong. AND, I'll never be able to get a decent price when I go to resale it because it's been on fire. Never again for a FCA product for me -- I should have bought a Subaru or a Honda (which I also considered).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would not buy a used Jeep, nor will I buy another Jeep as the reliability for me has not been there. We purchased a new 2018 Jeep Renegade in March 2018 and have had major issues:
1. The Jeep caught on fire at 13,000 miles last November while parked - long back and forth with the dealership, FCA Corporate, etc. and they determined it did so because of a missing engine shield that allowed leaves to ignite and a fire to travel to the underhood area. And no, it was not parked on leaves.... and no one could tell us why the engine shield was missing. Almost $9000 in repairs and 3 months in the shop; thank goodness for car insurance as FCA refused to cover the damages.
2. Problems with the Service Hill Start Assist warning and ESC indicator light issues at 13,200 miles and less than 2 weeks after we finally picked it up from the dealership for the fire repair - warranty repair that includes 3 trips back and forth to the dealer, replacement of the brake switch and the ABS system module, and on the 3rd try, a software update.
3. Numerous rattles on the left front drivers side that no one can seem to pinpoint since last October - not the springs, not the sway bars, etc. We are learning just to ignore it at this point!

So, I have a 2018 Jeep with about 19,000 miles that I purchased 1-1/2 years ago brand new that I am waiting for something else to go wrong. AND, I'll never be able to get a decent price when I go to resale it because it's been on fire. Never again for a FCA product for me -- I should have bought a Subaru or a Honda (which I also considered).
Eesh! I'd love to know how common issues like this with the Renegade and FCA vehicles in general. From the sounds as if (as I'm learning more) FCA vehicles aren't to be considered nearly as reliable as they should be for a modern vehicle - especially as a daily driver. Ug, I really friggin like the Renegade. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I test drove the TH I'm considering today. It looks like it is in great shape, no marks on the paint, tires still good shape, nothing missing, no dings. Seems to drive and shift fine, all of the off road modes worked fine.

BUT, I found that the passenger side speaker is crackling (or even cuts out for a second) and the rear wiper fluid ejector doesn't spew out fluid.

The dealer wants $19,995 for it. 2017 TH with 27k miles, still have a wee bit left on the basic factory warranty. Jeep dealer in my area said they should be able to fix those issues under warranty after diagnostics and the service manager felt that price was a bit high for this vehicle. What do you guys think?

I'm asking the dealer to drop it to $18.5k. If not, I'll just get a new TH for just under 24,885k out the door. I don't feel comfortable spending $20k on a used one that has those minors issues. Plus, I think I like the new interior and turbo engine better. I"ll know for sure tomorrow evening when I take one for a spin.
For a few thousand more, I'd spring for a brand new one. Speaker/stereo problems can sometimes be hard to find. Sometimes the rear squirter takes five seconds to spray if it hasn't been used in a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll add my two cents. As I've posted elsewhere, we have a 2017 renegade limited. Overall, it's a nice car. A lot of electronic options for the price. In fact, as we've looked to trade it in and look for something else, it's hard to find something in that price range with all the small features that come in the package (heated steering wheel, auto lights, auto wipers, etc). We also wish MPG was a little better (we generally get ave of 24 MPG). We also get the hard shift from 1st to 2nd at times. Mainly, the problem has been the electronics - it's buggy to say the least. I think others would say the same. For our latest problem, a radiator fan / cooling issue (it overheats and the fan issue isn't recalled under 2017), i went by our local dealer to read the CEL code read and when i mentioned we've had a number of glitches, he actually commented that the renegades have been an electrical nightmare. We've had times when the blinkers don't work and then suddenly work. We've had the seat movement not work and then work. We had the battery die and dash go crazy. Naturally, the dealers act like they have never heard of any of these problems. it's a joke. We're out of our of our warranty and just not willing to take a chance given the cost of repairs these days. Again, in many ways, we really like the car. I've owned several other jeeps and still have a Wrangler. So I hate to bash Jeep. I agree with others - if you consider one, make sure you have a warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts