Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am looking to install the suspension lift above, and wanted to know if anyone had issues with it. It says that it comes with everything needed to keep the feel of the "factory ride" but I just want to make sure it isn't going to put too much stress on the trans, rear end, etc. I had an old TJ and to properly lift that suspension it required new CV driveshafts, new transfer case, and more. Can I just install this with 29" tires and be fine?

Forgive me if this has already been posted (I looked but didn't see anything). If it has been, feel free to just copy a link to that other post in the response.

Thanks
BT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone,

I am looking to install the suspension lift above, and wanted to know if anyone had issues with it. It says that it comes with everything needed to keep the feel of the "factory ride" but I just want to make sure it isn't going to put too much stress on the trans, rear end, etc. I had an old TJ and to properly lift that suspension it required new CV driveshafts, new transfer case, and more. Can I just install this with 29" tires and be fine?

Forgive me if this has already been posted (I looked but didn't see anything). If it has been, feel free to just copy a link to that other post in the response.

Thanks
BT
Here is the link to the lift kit online: Rough Country® - 2" Front and Rear Suspension Lift Kit

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks
BT
It is a good kit, you won't/shouldn't have problem with the Rough Country lift kit.
Very straight forward, simple kit.
You will need an alignment after the lift is installed.

You can order it straight from Rough Country, with free shipping.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you finally got this kit?
If so, how’s the handling?
I read too many warnings on their instructions (put a decal to warn drivers about the “unique driving characteristics” and that lifted vehicles have higher center of gravity (duh).
So, are these just typical disclaimer or the handling is noticeable affected to the worse?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey babelhoo, I ordered the kit and I’m in the process of getting it on. I am having a hell of a time getting the front passenger side strut connected to the wheel knuckle with the spacer on. Every other pieces went on pretty easily, but things aren’t lining up right on this side. when it’s completed I’ll post a more detailed list of problems I ran into.

As far as the warnings, they seem pretty typical for a lift kit. I don’t have bigger tires yet so that might make the tipping problem worse. If it is too bad, I might look into wheel spacers to widen the stance a little.
More to come. Hopefully this week...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My initial assessment of the Rough Country kit

Instructions: 10/10
Actual hardware: 8/10
Installation: 5/10
Overall ride and feel: 9/10
Look and functionality: 10/10

So obviously, this is just my experience. You should definitely take it as that. There are lots of other reviews and videos about this kit online so take those into account. I would say I have high moderate mechanical skill and knowledge overall (worked on my old TJ for years). Here is what I experienced.

Instructions: These were some of the best install instructions I have seen for something like this. Super clear and straight forward. Lots of pictures. No guess work on what to do (doing it was a little tricky, more about that in a moment). No complaints at all here.

Actual hardware: There was a lot I loved about the hardware. It was great to get rid of the plastic front sway bar links. The metal ones with this kits are great. I do wish they would have added metal ones for the rear. Also, I had to bore the bolt hole for the body pucks in the back to get the bolts through them. Everything else seemed like good quality which is important since some people the quality of Rough Country (mostly their shocks though). Some of the 1.5” kits come with a spacer to lower the driveline. This one doesn’t and I am not sure why. I have tried to look for just that spacer online but cannot find one. If anyone else can find one, can you post the link here? Thoughts on why this one does not come with one?

Installation: I will try to keep this part short. Most of it was pretty straight forward. There are videos on Youtube of people doing the whole think in 6 hours or so. I can see how that would have been possible if everything went smoothly. Not the case for me. I had a hell of a time getting the front passenger side strut attached to the wheel knuckle with the spacers on. It was a little tricky with the driver side, but it went on with a little effort. The whole back was not a problem really. For some reason, the bolt holes on this knuckle were an inch too far away from the holes on the strut. And there was no way to raise them up because the CV shaft was hitting against the bottom of the strut. I even bought a spring compressor from Harbor Freight, but it made no difference. I finally had to unbolt the lower ball joint, attach the knuckle and then wiggle that lower ball joint into the lower control arm. That alone took hours. I would say I spend as much time on that strut as I did the entire rest of the car. And I have no idea why it was different on that side. Maybe the CV shaft on that side is shorter so the angle with the strut is a little closer? Nobody mentioned any problems with that in the videos I watched so it must be a fluke. I don’t know what it was, but it sucked. Regardless, the 1.5 inch lift kits probably won’t have any of those problems. There is a 4” lift kit out there but I can’t imagine how hard that would be to install.

Overall ride and feel: This is mostly in response to babelhoo and his question about it. I have put 150 miles on it so far, highway and in town, and it feels great. It definitely needed an alignment and was scary to drive to the shop for that. Afterward, it feels great. Maybe a little top heavy but I haven’t been taking turns crazy. It probably also helps that I have the premium wheel package (17”, wider tires). If you have skinny 16” tires, it might suck. The next purchase for me are 1.5” wheel spacers. Not just for looks (my wheels look like they are tucked under the car) but also to help with the handling. These are pretty new tires so after I drive the tread off them, I’ll get bigger and better All Terrains. There is an odd rattling now coming from the passenger side front. I likely damaged something on the install, but I will take a closer look when I install the spacers.

Look and functionality: It looks great. Once this COVID lockdown is over I am going to take it on more rocky trails, but it will surely be easier on that. I am going to get some more armor and skid plates for underneath, though.

I think that covers my experience. I would strongly recommend having a friend help you with the install—particularly with the struts (front and rear). Overall, it is great kit and I would recommend it if you want to get the most out of the Renegade without making crazy modifications.

I welcome any feedback.
BT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah yes, how could I forget the pictures! Probably because I am awful at taking pictures. I tried to get a couple of angles to show the height increase. Difficult to tell, but you can see much more of the control arms from the back. I took a picture of the new sway bar link. You can much more of the strut in the front. And the pictures at Trader Joe’s shows how much the tires are tucked underneath.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great write up! thank you for taking the time to do this. So the main issue seems to be installing the front struts with the spacers in place, also, not great that you had to bore some bolt holes, seems such a big oversight from the manufacturer. The final result looks very good.
thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you babelhoo. Your summary is correct, attaching the struts were by far the hardest part for me. Who knows what happened with the spacer holes. Everything else in the kit seemed solid.

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts

and enjoy the forum! Christa,
No lift Just pinch seam removed 30mm spacer with 235 65 17 AT.
All the stuff we did to our little Jeep is @ MrsSig Little Jeep Click Me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just ordered this for my trailhawk. What size tires are y’all running?
thanks in advance
I just have the 255/55 18s that came with it. Likely getting bigger, more aggressive 17s when the summer ends. I highly recommend the spacers too.
An update to the rattling noise I heard after I installed the kit. I forgot to tighten one of the bolts on the sway bar link (yep, I’m an idiot). I was just so happy to get that stupid strut back on that I forgot. All tight now and no noise.

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
I just have the 255/55 18s that came with it. Likely getting bigger, more aggressive 17s when the summer ends. I highly recommend the spacers too.
An update to the rattling noise I heard after I installed the kit. I forgot to tighten one of the bolts on the sway bar link (yep, I’m an idiot). I was just so happy to get that stupid strut back on that I forgot. All tight now and no noise.
You meant 225 55 18 correct?
Glad you got it fixed & tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My stock is 215/65r17 so I’m thinking of going to a 235/65r17 (which is the recommended size according to rough country) and I already ordered 1.5” spacers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts