Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that when I go over sharp bumps, I can hear a plasticky type of thud/rattle sound coming from below the gas pedal area. The thud is heavy...kind of like if my front sway bar is loose and it resonates when hitting a sharp bump (not a metal sound). When I go over rolling bumps, there's no sound. Anyone have this issue? I haven't had the chance to check the underside, but will do it this week. I had noticed the sound months ago (April) after I went off roading at Gorman, but the sound is more pronounced now. I had noticed it after July 4th weekend when I took it to White Mountain Peak (dirt road all the way up 11,000 feet), then to Titus Canyon Road in Death Valley. A couple of weeks after that, I took it up Rowher Trail in Santa Clarita. The car drives straight and there's no play on the steering wheel when it hits a bump.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to follow through with this threat - some may have the same annoyance. I changed oil two days ago and I had a chance to go under the car and try to figure where the sound is coming from.

Imagine going over a sharp bump on the road and the exhaust moves up and down creating a resounding, heavy, thud - it's a hard plastic/rubber kind of sound, like the sound is coming from that rubber piece holding the exhaust (see video). Again, this sound recreates over sharp bumps - rolling bumps are ok. The exhaust system has never been hit. No markings and no awkward bends.

Any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/MRauNvKL9tc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Trailhawk does the same thing. It wasn't too long after I had the car as well. I've been to lazy to look at it in depth. I do a good amount a offroading though, but it started happening after some easy offroading. Nothing hitting under the car.

I assume its the exhaust/cat banging around due to the rubber hangers being broken in. The heat/vibration has soften/loosened up the rubber hangers allowing for the extra movement.

Or it could be a hanger broke or a rubber hanger came off. I don't know for sure... too lazy lately.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I assume it's the rubber hangers allowing more movement. It's not a metal sound, more rubbery sound. I go off-road, as well, and I noticed it after the 2nd or 3rd time on easy dirt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.