Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of Thule Aeroblade Edge 7503 load bars for our new 2021 Trailhawk.

Except in black.

Extremely hard to find; not available through Thule, and I seem to have gotten the last pair available from REI.

Not cheap, but the Thule WingBar Evo bars aren't available at all. And I like the integrated look of the Aeroblade Edge.

Wanted to stick with Thule since I've had Thule ski carriers with t-bolt mounts for many years.

Just test-fitted the bars on the Trailhawk, and they seem really solid. Only thing I think I'll do is get some spare neoprene straps that secure the bars to the roof rails. The straps seem really tough, but if one's damaged or dry-rotted there's nothing else securing the bar.

So the fine graphic Thule instructions :cautious: say not to have them on while going through a car wash, for obvious reasons. Any one have these, and in defiance of instructions used an automated car wash?

Instructions say not to open a sunroof either with the load bars on, but the Trailhawk's sunroof works just fine with them...

·
Super Moderator
4,243 Posts
Waiting on photos of them on your Jeep!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, OK. Here's how just the load bars alone look on the Trailhawk:

Pretty unobtrusive, but that was the whole idea.

Here's how they secure to the rails:

I thought at first that perforated strap that tightens round the rail was rubber, and I was afraid of it failing. But it's actually a thin steel strap, covered in thick molded rubber. It's not going to break.

Here's how the old Thule ski attachment looks with one pair of skis. Not too bad:

There's just the two of us now, and two pairs will fit flat. If our kids visit, four pairs will fit bottom-to-bottom.

These are my old K2s, longer than my wife's; and they're well short of the antenna. The liftgate has a lot of clearance too.

The only challenge is how high the roof is particularly on this Trailhawk. Getting the load bars on and off isn't easy (remembering that I can't go through carwashes with them); neither is getting the skis on. The dual-pane sunroof (not MySky) slides back without problem, but it only goes halfway back. I might be able to get my wife to stand on the front seat and poke up through the sunroof to make sure everything is secured. Or I'll need a stepstool...

Wait... I just realized the convention is to mount a ski attachment to the passenger side of the car, so skis can be loaded and unloaded from the curb. I'll have to run out and reverse things... 🙄

...Done. The other thing to realize is, the roof rails aren't quite parallel; they narrow a bit toward the rear. At the positions where I've got the load bars, the rails are about 3/4" narrower at the rear than the front. So I have to position the front ski carrier about 3/8" farther over from the rail, to make sure the skis are lined up parallel to the vehicle's center line. Because I'm just that way.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Thule pictorial instruction brochure says not to go through a car wash with these load bars, for obvious reasons.

But then again, it also says not to open a sunroof with the bars on.

Anyone routinely go through car washes (with rotary brushes) with these or similar load bars? They're a bit of a pain to put on and take off, and I'm washing the Trailhawk a lot since it's new... :)

Also, do you guys and gals remove the rubber flex antenna when doing a car wash? I have so far, but...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts