Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Latitude w/High altitude package and I'm getting a ticking sound when I'm in forward motion. There's 30,000 miles on it and mostly highway.. The sound is faint and only when moving. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
932 Posts
There are probably many things it could be, but my first thought is one of the CV joints may be failing. Check the rubber boots on the drive shafts for tears or evidence of grease being flung around the surrounding area.

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
175 Posts
Does the clicking sound get faster with increased speed? If it does, rsanges might be on to something. A good indicator that the CV joint needs attention can be done in a parking lot (or any other wide-open spot) by slowly driving and turning your steering wheel all the way to the left, then turn all the way in the opposite direction. This slow "S" turn will produce a clicking sound if the CV joints are bad. The sound will be louder at full turn. Also, things to check would be anything stuck in the tire treads or around any moving parts under the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does the clicking sound get faster with increased speed? If it does, rsanges might be on to something. A good indicator that the CV joint needs attention can be done in a parking lot (or any other wide-open spot) by slowly driving and turning your steering wheel all the way to the left, then turn all the way in the opposite direction. This slow "S" turn will produce a clicking sound if the CV joints are bad. The sound will be louder at full turn. Also, things to check would be anything stuck in the tire treads or around any moving parts under the vehicle.
Yes, it does and yesterday I noticed excessive wear on the right front tire where the tread meets the sidewall. I'll have to get a used tire for safety and take it inn next week. funny though, it still tracks nice and straight. No pulling left or right at all. It's like it is cambered out by the looks of the tread. Tires still have another 20,000 miles on the guarantee and so does the Renegade.
The best thing to do is bring it in and have it checked out.
Yes, that is ultimately what I will have to do. Just wanted to get a bead on what the issue was and if it might be something simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts