Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like a diesel to me. Is it a petrol (gas) engine or do the Altitudes only come in diesel flavour?

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
That's the multi-air system. It sounds very diesel like. I'ts the hydraulically activated valves. They alter the timing based on oil pressure and use a solenoid to control the level of oil pressure seen by the bit linking the cam and the valve. The solenoid is activated per rotation per cylinder and sounds a bit like a diesel drive train.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's the multi-air system. It sounds very diesel like. I'ts the hydraulically activated valves. They alter the timing based on oil pressure and use a solenoid to control the level of oil pressure seen by the bit linking the cam and the valve. The solenoid is activated per rotation per cylinder and sounds a bit like a diesel drive train.
Thanks for sharing! I was thinking it sounded a bit like a diesel the other day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought mine in November and I have the same problem. It did not do it when I first bought it and now it does it no matter how long on short my drive is.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just bought mine in November and I have the same problem. It did not do it when I first bought it and now it does it no matter how long on short my drive is.
it's like a small dog that barks a lot to compensate her size and show others how big she is :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure if its just the video but my multiair doesn't tick anywhere near that much. If it did I would bring it in if still under warranty.

I understand lifter tick and I understand some injectors make a ticking sound. That is a little overboard to me on a stock engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That sounds louder than I would expect. Mine does this a little but, having had a Fiat 500 Sport and an Abarth, I know it's likely normal for the engine style (all be it, this engine is a bit larger). I would take it in and have em look at it. I'm probably going to take mine in too, just to make sure. Just got mine used with 19k on it. "Jeep Certified" - whatever that means. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine seems to have gotten a bit louder so I am taking it in on Monday. I will fill ya in on what they say.

Also started a thread on the topic. Mine sounds a little less like tapping and more like something else to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem at idle. Just bought the renegade. It is a 2018 with 15 miles on it. I also have my own thread going as well. My appointment is on Monday June 17, 2019 at Posner jeep in Davenport Florida. Yes the engine does sound like a diesel. LOL but that ticking is loud.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts