Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just went from the 1.4 turbo to the 2.4. First observations? It's clear this engine has plenty of power that's mostly hidden away. But it gives me the impression that it can tow pretty well for a 4-banger. The 9-speed definitely keeps the RPMs low, therefore the power output down. But the Renegade has never been a fast car, I wasn't really expecting speed.

The manual was fun to wind up, but the rubber band effect of such a small engine in a heavy modern CUV was significant. The 1.4 was working a lot harder during day to day driving, and given the cheap construction of the turbo hoses and such (my EVAP hose connector snapped under very little stress) I feel a little more comfortable with the longterm reliability of the 2.4, if a little leary of that 9-speed.

If you actually can get the 2.4 revved up, it sounds cool! A bit like a small tractor, which doesn't sound bad for a 4WD compact SUV.
Yep, MADness have a GOpedal to get the TigerShark to rev & a chip flash so the ZF Transaxle will allow it.

BUT sadly FCA has dropped the 2.4L TigerShark for a 2019 1.3L Direct Injected Turbo!

Who wants to take that OFF ROAD?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yep, MADness have a GOpedal to get the TigerShark to rev & a chip flash so the ZF Transaxle will allow it.

BUT sadly FCA has dropped the 2.4L TigerShark for a 2019 1.3L Direct Injected Turbo!

Who wants to take that OFF ROAD?
Isn't the Tigershark still available, now the basic trim level? I know it's still a 2.4 NA engine with the same power output, though they do call it slightly different.

The 1.3t sounds like some interesting engineering, being higher HP than the 1.4t while even smaller. Wish they would bring a manual back and tie it to a 2.4 though!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Isn't the Tigershark still available, now the basic trim level? I know it's still a 2.4 NA engine with the same power output, though they do call it slightly different.

The 1.3t sounds like some interesting engineering, being higher HP than the 1.4t while even smaller. Wish they would bring a manual back and tie it to a 2.4 though!
Yep, I should have said TrailHawk.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have to preface this by saying I have never owned a performance car, only Jeeps ('94 wrangler, 2001 Cherokee, 2005 Liberty) and they all feel like your driving a brick down the road so my feel for performance and sportiness is skewed at best. That being said, I rather think the 2.4 is a quick little engine. Especially when its having a good day and the trans isn't acting as confused as vegan at a Texas BBQ. For me its the sportiest, most fun car to drive i have ever owned.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm with you Sean. It may not set any records in the quarter mile, but for how I drive and what I need, it find the performance of the 2.4L / 9 speed combo to be quite spritely. Has a little intake growl, which I like. I don't enjoy little engines that are like a Singer sewing machine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm still very confused when everyone keeps pointing to the 9 speed transmission as a way to increase the fuel economy. We have some of the worst in class economy... you telling me it could really be that much worse with a 6 or 7 speed?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a '15 TH with the 2.4 tiger and I'm in the '19 TH with the 1.3T.I feel like the 1.3T has more pickup than the tiger and like it a lot more. I came from a GT86 to the Renegades... I miss the GT86 every day however for what the Renegade TH is I agree that it is plenty peppy and sporty. They are no go carts like the GT86 but when I want to drop it on a back road and go it is sufficient enough.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I am glad you are liking the 1.3T. Do you go off road? If you do, do you notice a difference with the more torque of the 1.3T? A dealer near me has a 19 TH that caught my eye. It is tempting.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
... A dealer near me has a 19 TH that caught my eye. It is tempting.
What, an upgrade?
I am waiting (hoping) for the 2.0 turbo (gas) that they are running in the Cherokee to come out in the Renegade. If they do, I might consider an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
What, an upgrade?
I am waiting (hoping) for the 2.0 turbo (gas) that they are running in the Cherokee to come out in the Renegade. If they do, I might consider an upgrade.
It is tempting but I am enjoying my Latitude and it handles the modest off road that I do (beach and some beat up dirt roads when fishing) just fine. The biggest thing for an upgrade to me would be recovery points, which the Latitude severely lacks. The Upland model would do nicely as well as an Avid bumper. I do like the Contour bumper from Avid. The Renegade is a long way from my first 4x4, 1973 Toyota FJ40, just point it and go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Torque my friend. Ratio of torque against horse power! You look at all the small SUV HP/Torque and you will understand what sciond is talking about.
I’ll take a naturally aspirated engine over a turbo charge engine any day. Unless you are into racing you are better off with a naturally aspirated engine. More space to work with and less parts that may break.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I’ll take a naturally aspirated engine over a turbo charge engine any day. Unless you are into racing you are better off with a naturally aspirated engine. More space to work with and less parts that may break.
Evidence and pictures to support your comment is appreciated :eek: (y)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts