Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I placed an order for a Renegade Trailhawk and had two questions I'm waiting for Chrysler to get back to me about.
1. Can I put have an engine block heater installed in the 2.4L Tigershark w/o voiding the warranty
and
2. Can I have the 2.4L Tigershark PZEV variant installed?

anyone have any insights?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
So I placed an order for a Renegade Trailhawk and had two questions I'm waiting for Chrysler to get back to me about.
1. Can I put have an engine block heater installed in the 2.4L Tigershark w/o voiding the warranty
and
2. Can I have the 2.4L Tigershark PZEV variant installed?

anyone have any insights?
1) Depends on the type of heater I suspect. I'll bet there's an officially approved mopar part if you call the dealer.

2) Uhm you'd have to buy the engine, pay for the labor to swap it and you'd have essentially zero warranty. Why would you do this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't do this
I discounted that option immediately
I would like a factory installed not on the menu engine that is exactly the same as the 2.4 but better for environment.
I'll just wait to hear from Jeep.
thanks anyway

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've always been bothered by the term "partial zero" in reference to emissions. Isn't it mathematically impossible for something to be partially zero? If they mean that its a zero emission vehicle when the engine is off then I guess mine becomes one every time I park it...

-Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PZEVs have their own administrative category within the state of California for low emission vehicles.
This vehicle category was created as part of a bargain with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), so that the automobile manufacturers could postpone producing mandated zero emission vehicles (ZEVs), which will require the production of electric vehicles or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
The vehicles constructed to meet the PZEV requirements must achieve both SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) exhaust emissions and zero evaporative (fuel system) emissions. The SULEV standard is designed to be even more rigorous than the Ultra standard or low-emission vehicle standard. Various techniques are used to reduce pollution in these vehicles. All emissions-related components must be warrantied for 15-years or 150,000-miles.
-Wikipedia
also here's a link to a YouTube video explaining more about the engine I'm talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVUQXiPjHkk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah,
I know Jason. Your comment was perfect.
but I can't get away from wanting one.
hard to explain. Lived in a city my whole life, current car has moved to the countryside from the rust belt, used to live in an industrial section of Cleveland. I remember when i was a kid the Cuyahoga river caught fire. Now my car leaks gas, too rusted to be repaired. The head's slightly warped and I leak antifreeze into my oil and vice versa.
I guess no that I'm surrounded by trees and grass I'm just tire of polluting things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me ask you a question.

I have read posts by people wanting diesel engines, rear mount tires lights snorkels land lift kits
Renegade is not available with any of these options.
Have you suggested to any of these people that they select a different vehicle.
Perhaps you should consider selecting another forum to moderate

·
Registered
430 Posts
Let me ask you a question.

I have read posts by people wanting diesel engines, rear mount tires lights snorkels land lift kits
Renegade is not available with any of these options.
Have you suggested to any of these people that they select a different vehicle.
Perhaps you should consider selecting another forum to moderate
There is a big difference between what can be added later to a vehicle and what is actually available. FCA doesn't make a PZEV Renegade. If you are more interested in emissions than anything else, get a Subaru.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't get RAZ-0 to print my reply

which is:
I have read where people talk about wanting
rear spare tire add-ons, turbo, snorkels, lift kits, and diesel engines, all of which are non standard, and most of which would void their warranty. Why then haven't you recommended they buy a different car?
May I recommend you moderate some other forum?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

which is:
rear spare tire add-ons, turbo, snorkels, lift kits, and diesel engines, all of which are non standard, and most of which would void their warranty. Why then haven't you recommended they buy a different car?
What does that mean?
We all saw your reply.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts

which is:
Because those things don't involve engine control computers that don't exist and don't require an investment well into five figures on top of the purchase cost of a renegade to get everything but those non-existent parts.

Turbos are a standard option. Diesels aren't in the us. I've told those folks if they really want a diesel, they'll have to buy something else.

If your primary concern is pollution, buy a different car. There is simply no existing option that will make the renegade a pzev vehicle without essentially turning it into a rolling she'll.

You want a pzev small such get a forester. You want a pzev renegade with awd, literally the most likely option is to gut the chassis and fit the powertrain of that forester, and even then stability control would be wrong.

There just way too much system integration and software. Nobody is fixing that, unless you are going to do it.

Also, strictly speaking would pzev vs. stock save more emissions than tossing all that stuff produces in manufacturing. Probably not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Raz 0
deleted my comment once and refused to post my comment so once again.....
people on this forum have discussed :
turbo charging, after market lift kits, snorkels, rear spare tire kits, and diesel engines, and my question was answered by suggesting I select a different car
Perhaps you should really consider Super Moderating another forum

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry
thought you refused to reply and deleted my post. So I reposted.
The 2.4 can't take turbo because the engine walls are too thin.
How did you get five figures?
I don't see a system integration issue.
I'm going to let this run it's course at my dealer and I'll let you know if you're right.
If it would help please delete my account

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
FYI

1-There haven't been any posts that were deleted, or hidden (moderated) from view in this thread. Each and every post you have made is shown as well as the reposts where you state/suggest that he moderate another forum.(something that is grounds for post removal btw and yet the posts stayed.)
2-If you want to be part of this community and ask questions, cool, that is why we are here for. To learn all there is to learn. But telling a staff member that they should moderate another forum because you think your posts were removed by him or that the reply is not to your liking or he didn't replied back quickly is really uncalled for.

As for deleting your account, if that is still your wish, then send anyone on staff a PM, otherwise feel free to continue being a member but do play nicely.

TS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First, that was my error. I assumed that posts would update without my refreshing my screen. For that I apologize. BTW I think you meant to say "what we are here for" and " didn't reply back quickly""
Second. From the beginning of my asking a simple question your moderator responded with
"2) Uhm you'd have to buy the engine, pay for the labor to swap it and you'd have essentially zero warranty. Why would you do this? "
so when I tried to explain myself the reply I was given was,
"Then why not buy a different car"

To me your moderator's first answer was condescending, the second answer not helpful advice, rather it was dismissive. I am looking foreword to my Jeep as much as anyone in this forum. In fact I've never actually owned a new car in my life and I came here to learn just like everyone else. In short I didn't care for your moderator's attitude. If this was a bit thin skinned of me for that I also apologize. But I was not going to let the matter pass quietly. For that I have no regrets and believe my actions justified. Why? because I couldn't get what I considered a respectful answer from raz 0 until I developed an attitude. Something I don't regret but consider unfortunate.

I will take everything you have said to heart but remember playing nice has to sides.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Sorry
thought you refused to reply and deleted my post. So I reposted.
The 2.4 can't take turbo because the engine walls are too thin.
How did you get five figures?
I don't see a system integration issue.
I'm going to let this run it's course at my dealer and I'll let you know if you're right.
If it would help please delete my account

Uhh the hurricane is the same bottom end with a new head design. It's going to be turbo charged.

Five figures was ball parking it.

But there's two possibilities. 1) all the 2015 2.4 engines a pzev designs as indicated by allpar. In which case the discussion is moot as the renegade is as pzev as it is going to get. (Part of pzev is about warranties you will never have with a swap, so you'll never be fully compliant.)

2) they aren't. This means you need a pzev engine. Just a short block and unpopulated head are $2k before freight. Add in all the bits you need to make it an engine and you add another $1-2k. Then making it an engine takes skilled labor. Installing it takes labor. Then you have all the multiple computer's that interact and expect specific behavior. At least two. Figure $1200 installed each. Now you need a new dash display and head unit to talk to them. More more money, more labor.

Then you need to figure out how to handle emissions inspection for an engine swap.

I will point out that at least one person here got there firmware in a mismatched state on the board, the dealer tried to figure out how to undo it, and in the end fca said screw it we'll give you a new one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.