Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Tigershark options

10K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  raz-0 
So I placed an order for a Renegade Trailhawk and had two questions I'm waiting for Chrysler to get back to me about.
1. Can I put have an engine block heater installed in the 2.4L Tigershark w/o voiding the warranty
and
2. Can I have the 2.4L Tigershark PZEV variant installed?

anyone have any insights?
1) Depends on the type of heater I suspect. I'll bet there's an officially approved mopar part if you call the dealer.

2) Uhm you'd have to buy the engine, pay for the labor to swap it and you'd have essentially zero warranty. Why would you do this?

I couldn't get RAZ-0 to print my reply

which is:
I have read where people talk about wanting
rear spare tire add-ons, turbo, snorkels, lift kits, and diesel engines, all of which are non standard, and most of which would void their warranty. Why then haven't you recommended they buy a different car?
May I recommend you moderate some other forum?
Because those things don't involve engine control computers that don't exist and don't require an investment well into five figures on top of the purchase cost of a renegade to get everything but those non-existent parts.

Turbos are a standard option. Diesels aren't in the us. I've told those folks if they really want a diesel, they'll have to buy something else.

If your primary concern is pollution, buy a different car. There is simply no existing option that will make the renegade a pzev vehicle without essentially turning it into a rolling she'll.

You want a pzev small such get a forester. You want a pzev renegade with awd, literally the most likely option is to gut the chassis and fit the powertrain of that forester, and even then stability control would be wrong.

There just way too much system integration and software. Nobody is fixing that, unless you are going to do it.

Also, strictly speaking would pzev vs. stock save more emissions than tossing all that stuff produces in manufacturing. Probably not.

Sorry
thought you refused to reply and deleted my post. So I reposted.
The 2.4 can't take turbo because the engine walls are too thin.
How did you get five figures?
I don't see a system integration issue.
I'm going to let this run it's course at my dealer and I'll let you know if you're right.
If it would help please delete my account

Uhh the hurricane is the same bottom end with a new head design. It's going to be turbo charged.

Five figures was ball parking it.

But there's two possibilities. 1) all the 2015 2.4 engines a pzev designs as indicated by allpar. In which case the discussion is moot as the renegade is as pzev as it is going to get. (Part of pzev is about warranties you will never have with a swap, so you'll never be fully compliant.)

2) they aren't. This means you need a pzev engine. Just a short block and unpopulated head are $2k before freight. Add in all the bits you need to make it an engine and you add another $1-2k. Then making it an engine takes skilled labor. Installing it takes labor. Then you have all the multiple computer's that interact and expect specific behavior. At least two. Figure $1200 installed each. Now you need a new dash display and head unit to talk to them. More more money, more labor.

Then you need to figure out how to handle emissions inspection for an engine swap.

I will point out that at least one person here got there firmware in a mismatched state on the board, the dealer tried to figure out how to undo it, and in the end fca said screw it we'll give you a new one.

Man Willy, they really are beating on you here. I'm in a similar boat in that I wanted a TrailHawk with a manual. I picked up a Latitude but will realistically be spending close to $2k to add the TrailHawk skid plates, tow hooks and bumpers to it to get what I want. No one has criticized that idea to nearly the level that you've received here. All you're asking is to see if an existing version of an engine that already comes in Renegade could be somehow adapted. I'd suspect that most of what makes it pzev is tuning, programming and intake related; in other words things that would not require replacing the whole engine. I'd say its doable but will cost in at least the four figure level.

My other car is a 1994 Miata that I've swapped a 5.4 liter Ford V8 into. Miata boards can be like this as well. People sometimes lock their minds into thinking it's their way or no way and forget that whatever their beloved car (or "Jeep"...let's not get into that again) is to them it is something completely different for someone else. Seeing a perfectly running new car as a "starting point" is your right.

-Jason
I've done more looking into it, I'm pretty sure the engine is PZEV capable. However, I'm not sure the fueling system is, and as far as I can tell there is no PZEV renegade. The frist doc below is the CARB executive order that permits sales for the 2.4. The second is for the 1.4t, both are ULEV, rather than SULEV. PZEV is basically SULEV + zero evaporative emissions from the fueling system. There's no note on the 2.4 and the 1.4 says the fueling system only meets LEV2 for that. To make SULEV, and PZEV, special catalytic converters with more surface area, and often multiples, are used. Renegade may just not have the space for such.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2015/chrysler_pc-ldt_a0091239r1_2d0-2d4_b4u2.pdf

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2015/chrysler_pc-ldt_a0091233_1d4_u3-125.pdf

So you might need a whole new fueling system that meets PZEV zero evaporation requirements. If FCA doesn't make such, nobody does, as it simply isn't something the aftermarket bothers to make. You might also need cats that nobody makes for the vehicle. And that is before you go down the rat hole of software to work with such things. I don't think trying to cram a dodge dart's PZEV compliant system in a renegade is going to work short of gutting the renegade, ditching the AWD system, and then shoehorning in all the dart PZEV gear into the now FWD only vehicle including dash, head unit, etc. And paying for fabrication to make it fit.

Modding a new car is fine, but, if you have to ask who can do it for me, there are certain things you shouldn't do, or at least not be the first to do without heaping piles of cash on hand. If you STILL want to pay someone to do it, you better have the resources to pay cash for the vehicle multiple times over and not need the car in a time frame most people would describe as "soon".

Much like the people that want a diesel in the US, it's not happening unless FCA changes their mind. Same with PZEV. The difference is that if you want PZEV on a vehicle good for some light off roading, you can go buy a subaru forester, put on a lift, some new tires, and some skid plates and guess what you have. Want it even higher than the renegade? You can do that too, but you will be replacing CV joints regularly. Good news is that if you learn to DIY, the parts are cheap. A couple hundred bucks every year or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.