Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I am a newby Jeep owner and need assistance with my tire sensors.

I recently changed my spare wheel tire sensor with the left front wheel sensor, ran a diagnostic to reset my computer, but the sensor still does not want to pick up my tire pressure.

Any advice on how to get this working?

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts

and enjoy the forum!
Dose your spare have a sensor in it? If it dose then it is dealer time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome!

Well, I'm confused. Yes, at least in North America, if you have a spare tire, it doesn't have a TPMS sensor.

Yet you wrote that you "recently changed my spare wheel tire sensor with the left front wheel sensor." See my confusion? :)
Yes, so to give the complete story to avoid any further confusion. I drove through a pothole with my front left tyre and when I took the tyre for replacement the technician gave me the broken sensor which originally was on my front left and said he replaced it with the sensor on the spare tyre. To my knowledge my car does not need five sensors, only four. So I have sensors on all four tyres but my car does not pick up the tyre pressure.

I hope this provides a bit more clarity :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I hope this provides a bit more clarity :)
Yes, it does.

Again, as far as I know, and at least in the U.S. market (and I'd bet all others), the spare tire -- on Renegades that have one -- does not have a TPMS sensor. That's because the spare tire is considered to be a piece of emergency equipment only, and not intended for everyday driving. And that, in turn, is because the spare tire and wheel are most-times different than the other tires and wheels -- the wheel is often steel, rather than alloy; and/or the tire, over time, is a different brand.

So your technician couldn't have switched the spare-tire TPMS sensor into your left-front tire.

I suspect what he may have done is change the spare tire's normal valve (which wouldn't have a sensor) to fix the broken sensor. And, I assume, install another normal valve (no sensor) in the spare tire.

And that would explain why the pressures of only three tires are showing up.

The way to tell is to examine the valve stem sticking out of the wheel. If it's rigid, then it's on a TPMS sensor. If it's just rubber and at all flexible, then it's a normal valve without a sensor.

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
Welcome!

Well, I'm confused. Yes, at least in North America, if you have a spare tire, it doesn't have a TPMS sensor.

Yet you wrote that you "recently changed my spare wheel tire sensor with the left front wheel sensor." See my confusion? :)
I have a 2015 trailhawk. Full sized spare and it has a tire sensor. (it's also the spare with matching alloy rather than a steel rim) US market. If both had a sensor, I'm not sure why one would swap it as the system will pick up the change after some driving.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2015 trailhawk. Full sized spare and it has a tire sensor. (it's also the spare with matching alloy rather than a steel rim) US market. If both had a sensor, I'm not sure why one would swap it as the system will pick up the change after some driving.
I was going to say that on the trailhawks at least mine has the full size spare and that it does have a TPMS in the tire. I know this cause when the dealership was swapping around rims on mine they broke it and replaced it no charge to me.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have a 2015 trailhawk. Full sized spare and it has a tire sensor. (it's also the spare with matching alloy rather than a steel rim) US market.
Oh, that's right. Earlier Traihawks had alloy spare wheels, and would have had TPMS sensors so you could do a five-wheel rotation. And yes, in that case, the computer would immediately pick up that a different sensor is now rotating with the tire.

The later Trailhawks (like my 2021) come with a steel spare wheel, and no TPMS sensor there. (I bought a fifth alloy wheel with TPMS sensor to do a five-tire rotation.)

So the question for OP still is, did his original spare tire have a TPMS sensor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts