Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Renegade Sport 4x4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so forum search didn't come up with a whole lot for me to make an informed decision, and the tire calculators aren't like howitzer shooting tables, so it's a bit confusing when you add in recommended spacer, back spacing and other mumbo jumbo numbers. So I humbly ask the gurus of this forum.

I have the 2 inch rough country lift kit, and I have 2 real options for a tire. One is the Kumho AT51 which is on a lengthy backorder or the Goodyear Duratrac both in the 225 75R16 size. Both are pretty much the same cost and roughly the same size in diameter roughly 0.3 of an inch difference in size. What should I look out for when trying the wranglers out? The tire dude isn't 100% sure on if they will rub anywhere. As I don't really have the cabbage in the garden to buy new rims as of yet, I have to go with the 16 rims it came with. We have been bouncing this one around for a few days now trying to figure something out. But without the tires instore and me needing the vehicle to get around on base (yes, I'm a lazy soldier and drive everywhere on base for now) it's kind of hard to figure out. I do plan on leaving the vehicle with the installer for the day when the tires show up and can forward any info and photos when it is complete.

So I humbly await your sage advice in the shadows of email notifications.

Ubique

·
Registered
2016 Renegade Sport 4x4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I now have the lift kit and the tires installed. I will have to reconfirm the tire size, but they would not fit without the lift. They do fit without a spacer, but it's REALLY close. Here's a photo of the new skins and after the lift install

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Sky Window Wheel

·
Registered
2016 Longitude 4x4
18 Posts
Liking the look with the stock wheels! The black really looks good with those more aggressive side walls. Just keep an eye on your CV joints...
I bet I'm not the only one who loves seeing how everyone else sets up their little Jeeps. Thanks for updating!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Liking the look with the stock wheels! The black really looks good with those more aggressive side walls. Just keep an eye on your CV joints...
I bet I'm not the only one who loves seeing how everyone else sets up their little Jeeps. Thanks for updating!
Haven't heard one user complain about CV joint wear after increasing their ride height and tires. Several owners have the 2" lift and 225/65R17 K02's with several thousand miles, including trails, with no issues at all. Don't think it's quite extreme enough of a geometry change to really have a negative effect.

·
Registered
2016 Longitude 4x4
18 Posts
That's good to hear- I thought I'd seen one or two comments about CVs when going higher than 1.5"- not that I'll be lifting mine until I've had my money's worth out of my current tyres! Either way @Kpearson it looks great!

·
Registered
2016 Renegade Sport 4x4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ! The tire size I went with was 225/75R16. There's about 1/16 of an inch between the bottom spring perch and the tread of the tire. So just to be on the safe side, I will be getting spacers. With the cost of the tires I'd rather a bit of insurance rather than the hope nothing bad would happen. Next time I think I will be going with a 225/70. I did have to take it back this morning to have then check the sway bar links as the passenger side was pretty noisy. Since they replaced the nuts and used loctite there hasn't been a single sound yet. And we have one bumpy road that goes the perimeter of the base that's used for LAV6 and heavy transports.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts