Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2017 Renegade Latitude 4x4, 2.4 ltr
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual on my 2017 latitude 4x4 says for the tire rotation to have the rear tires go straight to the front and the front tires cross over to the back.
I took it in for the 3rd rotation since new tires and I showed the lady a copy of what the manual has. She showed me the choices they have in their tablet for the work order and the closest they had was a cross over for all 4 tires. She took my copy from the manual and showed the guy in the shop and he said he would do it that way.
I wonder the first 2 times I had them rotated they must have just selected the cross over for all 4 tires because no one ever showed me their choices or questioned it.
So does it really matter that much if they just crossed all 4 tires instead of moving back ones straight up to the front?
Thanks

· Registered
2015 Trailhawk
995 Posts
The idea is that after 3 rotations all the tires will have been on all 4 corners, thus evening out the wear as best you can. If you repeatedly just do a cross pattern rotation, individual tires will only ever be in two locations. The rotation you mention from the manual is quite common. I would find a different tire service center if they have never heard of it. Google it and you'll see some options.

BTW, I do a 5 tire rotation with my matching OE spare (I like to get that dig in whenever I can).

Reactions: XFiber

· Registered
2,444 Posts
BTW, I do a 5 tire rotation with my matching OE spare (I like to get that dig in whenever I can).
Yup. My 2021 Trailhawk came standard with a full-size spare, but on a steel wheel. After a lot of consideration, I decided to do a 5-tire rotation, but needed to get a fifth alloy wheel first.

I made up a modification of the tire-rotation diagram from my Owner's Manual, adding the spare; to show the dealer or shop exactly what I want done -- and to make sure the rotations are consistent:
Font Parallel Diagram Auto part Triangle

· Super Moderator
5,003 Posts
We are on our 3rd set of tires but only do the 4 tire cross our spare is full size 235 65 17 but on a steel rim.
On our wrangler with 35" tires we do the 4 tire cross too. It dose have a 35" spare. We rotate & balance every 3000 miles on both Jeeps.

· Registered
2015 Trailhawk
995 Posts
...We rotate & balance every 3000 miles on both Jeeps.
I've never found a need to re-balance on a schedule. I guess it can't hurt (except for the shop gorillas that pry the old weights off with a crowbar). What prompted you to start doing proactive balancing?

Also, I'm curious if the Renegade full-size spares have the TPM sensors from the factory. My 2015 came with all 5 tires with sensors.
I just received a 2022 Ford Transit and it has a full-size, matching (steel) spare, but no TPM sensor in it. You can't do a 5 tire rotation without adding a sensor or ignoring the fault light. Silly. Having a perfectly useable wheel and tire just rot as a spare makes no sense to me. On my last van (2008 Econoline), at about year 12, I needed to put the spare on to get me through a trip. The spare wheel looked like it had been used as a boat anchor for 10 years. Luckily, I had all the necessary implements with me to get the rust off so it would mount to the hub.

· Registered
2022 Renegade Altitude-Alpine White
18 Posts
I’ve always rotated front to back. But the last 2 vehicles I’ve owned had directional tires. So a cross wouldn’t be possible.

as long as they are rotated and non directional I’m not sure it even matters.

I’ve never included a spare in my rotation. But it’s pretty rare for me to keep a vehicle longer than 5 years. I’ve kept a 99 ford ranger for 20 but it’s never been a daily driver. Just a basic truck to move stuff.

· Registered
2,444 Posts
I've never found a need to re-balance on a schedule.
I don't balance on a schedule, as such; but I try to have it done at least every couple years or so. Otherwise I'm afraid the tires will start to wear unevenly before I even notice they're out-of-balance.

Also, I'm curious if the Renegade full-size spares have the TPM sensors from the factory. My 2015 came with all 5 tires with sensors.
Currently the only model that comes with a full-size spare, I think, is the Traihawk.

They used to come on an alloy wheel -- I have no idea if the spare had a TPMS sensor -- I suspect it did.

But by 2021 (my model year), the Trailhawk's full-size spare was on a steel wheel, with no TPMS sensor. I had the dealer install a fifth sensor when I had the spare re-mounted on the alloy wheel I'd bought, in order to do a five-tire rotation.

· Super Moderator
5,003 Posts
I've never found a need to re-balance on a schedule. I guess it can't hurt (except for the shop gorillas that pry the old weights off with a crowbar). What prompted you to start doing proactive balancing?

I just received a 2022 Ford Transit and it has a full-size, matching (steel) spare, but no TPM sensor in it. You can't do a 5 tire rotation without adding a sensor or ignoring the fault light. Silly. Having a perfectly useable wheel and tire just rot as a spare makes no sense to me. On my last van (2008 Econoline), at about year 12, I needed to put the spare on to get me through a trip. The spare wheel looked like it had been used as a boat anchor for 10 years. Luckily, I had all the necessary implements with me to get the rust off so it would mount to the hub.
I only let them use the stick on weights not the clip on ones. So the rims never get scraped.

· Registered
2015 Trailhawk
995 Posts
Apparently you haven't seen pictures of wheels where some tire technician has used a metal scraper to scrape off the stick on weights (and gouge the wheels and scrape the paint in the process).
That would be a photo of my wheels - all my wheels.

· Super Moderator
5,003 Posts
The Tire Plus I go to use a plastic scraper and clean the wheels before they put the weights on. You all need to find a better tire place. They have been taking care of our club members since 2008.

· Registered
2017 Renegade Latitude 4x4, 2.4 ltr
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve always rotated front to back. But the last 2 vehicles I’ve owned had directional tires. So a cross wouldn’t be possible.

as long as they are rotated and non directional I’m not sure it even matters.

I’ve never included a spare in my rotation. But it’s pretty rare for me to keep a vehicle longer than 5 years. I’ve kept a 99 ford ranger for 20 but it’s never been a daily driver. Just a basic truck to move stuff.
How do I tell if my tires are directional?
I have Pirelli All Terrain Plus 225/65R17.
Thanks

· Registered
2,444 Posts
How do I tell if my tires are directional?
Directional tires have a V-shaped tread pattern, like these:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Rim

The V should point towards the ground when looking at the from the front. The idea is clear mud and water toward the outside when they're turning and moving forward.

Not incidentally, older tank tracks with a V pattern on their pads need to have the same orientation, to shed mud:
Land vehicle Self-propelled artillery Vehicle Combat vehicle Motor vehicle

Directional tires will also be marked with a prominent arrow on their sidewalls, to show which direction they need to be rotating when they're mounted.

Since they should only rotate in one direction, they need to stay on the same side when they're rotated -- that is, front-to-back only.

Your Pirellis are not directional...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

...so tread-wise they can be rotated to any corner of the vehicle.

· Registered
2,444 Posts
You're welcome.

Conversely, there are other tires that have different tread or rubber compounds on their inside vs. their outside edges. Like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires we've got on our two VWs.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

You can see that the tread isn't at all symmetrical from one side to the other:

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

That's supposedly to help with cornering forces. Does it work? I don't know. I just think these are excellent high-performance all-season tires.

These are always marked on the sidewall with which way they need to be mounted on the wheels.

Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Once they're mounted correctly, they can be rotated to any corner of the vehicle.

Most tires, though, are nether directional nor inside/outside. So they can be mounted any way, and go on any corner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts