Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Tire size for off road, 215x60x17 or 225x55x18?

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ManEater666 
#1 ·
hello all,
this is a question for off road professionals, :)
I'll have have best off road performance with 215X60 R17 tires or with 225X55 R18 tires?
I'll be mostly involved in snow and fluffy sand drive, in the past I had no problems with my old isuzu amigo with 245X70 R15, but now I'm planning to buy a second set of tires for my renegade, I'm oriented on Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S and I don't know which size will be better for my needs (obviously I'll change eventually the rims).

#2 ·
Well, fluffy sugar sand is best handled with the wider tire.. the snow , the slimmer 215x60-17 for sure. I think if it were me, I would get some Nokian WRG3 SUV tires in 215-60-17 and don't look back. The 18's would work fine as well.. but the 17's would have a marginally better ride, and price and best traction in the snow. Hope that helps

Tim

#4 ·
Thanks Tim, I was oriented to 215x60 R17 too, but I'd want more Opinions. Sincerely my attention has been always focused on fluffy sand, always worried me during my drive. With snow, 4WD LOW engaged and extreme caution and never had problems.
In addition I think that a profile of 60 is a bit more comfortable of 55.
I'll give a look at nokian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.