Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, time to buy tires again and Im having to make that big decision again, what tires do I buy? This is one reason I miss my old truck, I would just find a set of whatever with some decent tread and go but with a newer vehicle, kids and overall safety to consider I have to be more practical. So, my plan is to put on a Teraflex 1.5" lift and 1" wheel spacers before tires. But for tires Im torn, if I keep my factory 17" rims then I can get a set of 235/70R17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport (not the 4s or XLTs, the middle of the road); or I can get a set of 16" steel rims and go with a set of General Grabber ATPs in 235/70R16s. Im open to thoughts or suggestions, personally I like the look of the ATPs but if anyone has experience with either one, I will take it. FYI I dont do any serious off roading but messing around the local lakes and dirt roads is always a good time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Falken AT3W are available in 215/65/17 size. No lift, spacers, etc needed and are excellent AT tires.

·
Registered
358 Posts
225/65R17 is a 28.5" tire. It will fit without lift but I used a 1.0" spacers. but, the tire has touch the plastic fender liner (without pinch weld modification) off road in a slight corner.

235/70R17 is a 30" tire. Requires 4" lift, 1.5" spacers and pinch weld modification, and still may rub the plastic fender liner occasionally.

235/70R16 is a 29" tire. Requires 4" lift, 1.5" spacers and pinch weld modification, and still may rub the plastic fender liner occasionally.

For example: My next set of tires will be 245/65R17; a 29.5" tire. But I also have a 4" lift, 1.5" spacers, pinch weld modification and additional modifications to the plastic fender liners.

Watch your Overall Diameter. You will want to probably stay under 28.5 inches. Or, plan on making a few more modifications...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reminding me, I thought I checked that before, I was wrong. The Grabbers are a 29", the Discoverers are a 30". So I guess I know which way Im going. I have a Deserthawk so I have the same height as a Trailhawk, and Im running some old 225/65R17 snow tires, just to finish them off, with no rubbing issues. The extra 0.5" of the Grabbers shouldnt be too much of an issue.

As far as the pinch mod, I can do that pretty easily, I do Autobody work for a living. A little slice, hammer and seam sealer is nothing new for me, lol.

I will post pics once everything is done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
225/65R17 is a 28.5" tire. It will fit without lift but I used a 1.0" spacers. but, the tire has touch the plastic fender liner (without pinch weld modification) off road in a slight corner.

235/70R17 is a 30" tire. Requires 4" lift, 1.5" spacers and pinch weld modification, and still may rub the plastic fender liner occasionally.

235/70R16 is a 29" tire. Requires 4" lift, 1.5" spacers and pinch weld modification, and still may rub the plastic fender liner occasionally.

For example: My next set of tires will be 245/65R17; a 29.5" tire. But I also have a 4" lift, 1.5" spacers, pinch weld modification and additional modifications to the plastic fender liners.

Watch your Overall Diameter. You will want to probably stay under 28.5 inches. Or, plan on making a few more modifications...
I was told by Costco that 225/65R17's would fit in a KO2. I am doubting it? Would you know?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts