Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a rather mild, bright and sunny but cold day in West of Scotland and I was bored. My car has not been cleaned on the outside for at least 2 months and I hate seeing it all dirty and grimy. Just like a woman my Renegade was going to get a manly wash and lots of lovely gentle caresses across it's exterior. Though I was bored and the jetwash with the hosereel was in the garden shed alongside the electrical extension it meant setting it all up. Then all the different attachments were needing, lance, snow foam, foam bottles etc My mind raced with another option.

Why not spend 45 mins and do the job differently. In the boot is a pack of new microfibre cloths, a bottle of "waterless wash and wax" and nothing else required but a little bit of kneeling down. I came across waterless wash and wax on one of the TV programmes and was sceptical that anyone can spray the liquid onto a really filthy car and moments later merely wipe it off and allow it dry over a couple minutes. Thereafter its a quick buff with a clean cloth and it's now finished.

I have used this method now on my last 4 cars and the Renegade gets a clean up like this all the time. Jetwash? pfft thats for doing the driveway.

Below should be the results in picture form if I do this correctly. Look at the pictures and you will see heavy dirt around the window frames wings etc. I quite literally sprayed, waited, wiped and buffed.

Finally a little bit of bumper shine was rubbed on and buffed dry. The final picture shows the rainwater beading on the bonnet after a 10 minure drive.

Has anyone NEVER tried this method?

·
Registered
460 Posts
While my concerns may be unfounded, I've always had concerns about "waterless" cleansers. It is my belief that applying water, under pressure, will initially "blast" off the larger bits of dirt and grime, and the gentle application of car wash soap (NOT household soap), then rinsed, again with a blast of water, will remove what is stuck on the vehicle. This prevents/reduces swirl marks on the paint. I think rubbing a slightly wet (waterless) vehicle with a towel is grinding the grime into the paint. Yes, it'll remove the dirt, but so will just rubbing it with your hand.

Does using waterless cleansers harm your paint ? I honestly have no idea because I don't use them. I mistrust the claims of the manufacturers that state "guaranteed not to scratch your paint !". Why would they state otherwise ? Before I even wax my vehicles, I go over them, after being thoroughly washed, with a clay bar to further remove any stuck on contaminants the soap missed. No need to "wax in" little bits of crap into my paint.

Like I said, this theory is my own, I have no idea of it's validity. But it makes me feel better in the care of my vehicles. But it does take quite a few hours of my day to do properly.

·
Registered
804 Posts
@Mud Pie , your theory is solid.

I have to admit to using a "waterless wash and wax" , but I cheated. Because of my fears with scratching the finish. I would wash the car first with water and soap (conventional method), and then use the "waterless wash and wax" as a detailing spray with benefits. lol

Spray it on, buff to a haze, allow to dry and wipe off. It works really good that way. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MudPie, I hoped someone would raise the concerns you have. That's exactly why I put up this post having searched and found nothing on the forum. It becomes a great chat based upon personal experience.

My car has never been through a carwash and it's not got any scratch marks or swirls. I watched in disbelief as the guy literally plastered mud on the car and then wiped it off.

Like you I was extremely sceptical as to the reasons why anyone would be so lazy as to use this method. My thoughts, like you bordered on "OMG it will scratch it, WTF are they doing to a brand new car, are they mad? No, this is just a gimmick etc"

Unknown to me the Wife ordered up a couple of bottles for myself and the boys. They immediately said, "No way, you first". At the time I was ready to trade in an older Peugeot 406 and had agreed the price with a garage. What better chance than that to try it could there be?

I did as instructed and rather than write about it, I will let the pictures talk instead. It is imperative that I use microfibre cloths to trap the dirt as is visible in one of the pics. Never use the same part of the dirty cloth but merely refold it. One cloth per panel and maybe another to buff it all up. Then wash the cloths in the wifes washing machine and tumble dry them for the next time:ROFLMAO:

Now here is a more interesting experience:
I used the expensive one at around £15 a litre and believe me I thought it really was wonderful. As the years passed and all manner of companies were now mass producing or at least mass bottling the liquid under different names I found a cheap version that works even better.

Our local "cheap store" Called ALDI (maybe the same as Walmart) was doing it around £2.99 a litre. I swear by this cheaper brand as opposed to the expensive one.

Please take it from me that I have been using the washless wax on all my cars and this is my 5th car since I found the liquid. My boys have used it on 4 cars. That's 9 cars with no damage.

If the car is absolutely manky and bogging (dirty) then without any hesitation it's getting jet washed with snow foam. repeated and hand washed with micro fibre mitts and hot soapy water. Jetwash rinsed, chamois dried and then a spray protector to make the water bead up as can be seen inthe last picture.

This Summer I will use the electric buff for the first time since new. Not bad for 37K miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
maguiare's soap, water & maguiare's wax!
done this to all of my Jeeps & 4x4s for decades. For scratches maguiare's cleaner wax. Done!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mudpie uses a clay bar the same as my Son.

Is that acting in the same manner as T-cut or G3 as a cutting compound?
I don't consider a clay bar in the same class as a cutting compound. The clay bar of my choice is either "Mother's" or "Maguire's" brand, each comes with a bottle of spray lubricant to allow the clay bar to glide over your paint, otherwise that bar ain't going nowhere, you'll learn quickly when you hit a dry spot... I have used a spray bottle of water with 3 drops of baby shampoo; does the same thing (the ol' applying decals lubricant trick).

It may seem like hokum to some to clay bar your car, but slowly run your hand over your just-cleaned hood and you can feel little bits under your fingers. You can't see them but you can feel them. Clay bar it then do it again. It's amazing how well it works (and you can see the nasties in the clay bar after your done).

Apply wax/buff when done and step back and gaze at your shiny paint !!

Then glance upwards and see the birds in the trees above your vehicle snickering, waiting for you to go inside.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It may seem like hokum to some to clay bar your car, but slowly run your hand over your just-cleaned hood and you can feel little bits under your fingers. You can't see them but you can feel them. Clay bar it then do it again. It's amazing how well it works (and you can see the nasties in the clay bar after your done).
Slip a plastic bag over your hand, and it amplifies the effect. It IS amazing what that bar removes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Occasional plain cold hose water and a soft brush on the worst of the mud is all any Renegade needs.
You keep believing that and I will believe you have no sense of pride in keeping anything clean and tidy.

There is nothing quite comparable to a beautiful clean and shiny car sitting beside the same model that is looking old, manky and tatty.

A good wash does everything the world of good. Do you even use soap?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally, yes, every day, and I do look old and tatty, but manky? No.
If you meant on the Renegade, of course not, it's a Jeep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts