Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
I was forced up the kerb just the other day as an idiot tried to pull in front of me whilst he was in a right turn ONLY lane and I was in the correct one for going straight ahead. He had almost 1/4 mile to change lanes but waited literally till the last 5 seconds.

There was only a short distance between the car in front and myself who were slowing down for a red, stop light as this idiotic driver tried to change lanes.

The car in front jumped the red light as Mr idiot managed to get in front of me. What to do had been my concern. allow him to ram me and let the Insurance deal with it or brake hard and prevent it. Needless to say I prevented it but gave him quite a few choice words. His reply was, "You need to learn some manners and allow me to change lanes when I put an indicator on". I am sure you can imagine my choice of words.

I even invited him to accompany 500 yards into the local Cop Shop to review my camera video in front of Mr Plod. He sh1t himself a brick and drove off quickly and jumped the next red light (all on camera again)

It just seems that too many people out there are causing accidents and at the same time believing that we are all to blame for their stupidity. 馃が馃が馃が

Registered
Sheesh. Glad you're ok... can't tell ya how many accidents I've barely avoided, because someone flies through an intersection.

Reminder: even once it's repaired, and you've verified that you're ok.. be sure to hit up her insurance for a "diminished value" claim. Basically, it's you saying: 'Hey, since this vehicle is going to be recorded as being in an accident, I won't get as much trade in value for it'. You can likely pocket a few extra k for that.

Also, make sure you have your estimates done by an official OEM (Jeep Dealer) shop... make them check EVERYTHING. I've been in accidents, where things don't manifest for months after I've had the vehicle repaired. Had a ScionXB that was rear ended, they repaired it.. and it started tearing through tires, after the repairs... took nearly 6 months for the tire dealer to ask if I'd been in an accident or something.

Registered
QFT Caspien qft my friend and that is not insurance fraud so don't ever be afraid to seek the true value of repairs as opposed to a visible repair (y)(y)(y)
What amazes me, is the value discrepancy on some vehicles, after a repair is done. With my old Mitsubishi Eclipse, it was about 2k difference for a pretty ugly side swipe by another person, but the Scion xB was nearly 7k difference, and considering I only paid $18k for it, brand new.. AND they had it for 2 months repairing it, which included 2 months of a rental..AND they dropped 19k on the repairs... I really think some insurance companies need to rethink how they do business. (total estimated repair costs to State Farm, was $19k in repairs, nearly 2k in rental costs, and 7k in diminished value (I had to get a local dealership to write me out a letter indicating it)...so.. $27k.. to repair a car that cost 18k...I tried telling them, the dealership tried telling them, and the body shop tried telling them.. just to total it out, and buy me another new one, same make/model/year... but apparently no one department wanted to take the full hit for the full vehicle...shrug

That reminds me, make sure if you want a diminished value claim, that you get a local dealershop to give you the written difference, in their opinion...make sure they're honest.. :)

~ Casp

Registered
What amazes me, is the value discrepancy on some vehicles, after a repair is done. With my old Mitsubishi Eclipse, it was about 2k difference for a pretty ugly side swipe by another person, but the Scion xB was nearly 7k difference, and considering I only paid $18k for it, brand new.. AND they had it for 2 months repairing it, which included 2 months of a rental..AND they dropped 19k on the repairs... I really think some insurance companies need to rethink how they do business. (total estimated repair costs to State Farm, was $19k in repairs, nearly 2k in rental costs, and 7k in diminished value (I had to get a local dealership to write me out a letter indicating it)...so.. $27k.. to repair a car that cost 18k...I tried telling them, the dealership tried telling them, and the body shop tried telling them.. just to total it out, and buy me another new one, same make/model/year... but apparently no one department wanted to take the full hit for the full vehicle...shrug

That reminds me, make sure if you want a diminished value claim, that you get a local dealershop to give you the written difference, in their opinion...make sure they're honest.. :)

~ Casp
Easy to explain; precedent. If they buy you a new car, then they have set a precedent to have to buy for others. They don't want that. I was once involved in a lawsuit where a lady said she informed me she got hurt in a elevator and I ignored her (never happened). She sued me, the building management, the building owner and Otis Elevators. She wasn't asking for all that much cash. The Otis rep told me they would spend 200,000 dollars to not pay 2,000 (just an example amount) because a precedent would be set.

When a Judge reviewed her case before trial, he threw it out, never went to trial. Turns out she was a "slip and fall" con artist that has done this act before. She was probably thinking all these big money companies would pay out instead of going to trial. She was wrong.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks guys for all the advice. Right now the damage is sitting at $3200.00 for body damage. They haven't looked at the undercarriage yet.
I did not take it to the Jeep dealership for repair. I will never use them again for anything. They told me I didn't need to bring it in for the 1st 10,000 mile checkup as I do my oil changes myself. Then they have avoided the issue with the infamous missing tow hooks. Jeep Cares sucks too. They told me I needed to talk to the dealer about the missing tow hooks after I carefully explained they wouldn't answer my voice mail message or come to the phone when paged.

Registered
Thanks guys for all the advice. Right now the damage is sitting at $3200.00 for body damage. They haven't looked at the undercarriage yet.
I did not take it to the Jeep dealership for repair. I will never use them again for anything. They told me I didn't need to bring it in for the 1st 10,000 mile checkup as I do my oil changes myself. Then they have avoided the issue with the infamous missing tow hooks. Jeep Cares sucks too. They told me I needed to talk to the dealer about the missing tow hooks after I carefully explained they wouldn't answer my voice mail message or come to the phone when paged.
I'd find another dealer. The 10,000 mile checkup involves a lot more than just changing the oil. Either they are a lazy dealership or just don't want the business.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
It seems they prefer to do the easy stuff and overcharge for that too.
This was the first new Jeep product I've owned. I have owned several GM cars and trucks and they always provided quality service even if it was a warranty repair. That was the 'old' GM however. My last new vehicle purchase was 2002.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32

~ Casp
Thanks Casp for the info on the diminished value claim. I had no idea it even existed. My last accident was in 1982 at the ripe old age of 20. LOL. I totaled a 1980 Toyota Celica TX22 Sunchaser. I'm going to contact a certified diminished value claim company here in Georgia when the final estimate is done.
Thanks again for all the well wishes and advice from all of you here on the forum. There may have been someone I missed posting thanks to individually. I'm new to this!

Registered
RJ great to hear from you again. :D

The Jeep is looking good and I trust the repairs are up to an excellent standard that you are happy with as that's the main concern when we receive a repaired vehicle (y)(y)(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
RJ great to hear from you again. :D

The Jeep is looking good and I trust the repairs are up to an excellent standard that you are happy with as that's the main concern when we receive a repaired vehicle (y)(y)(y)
Thanks
Yes, the body shop did an excellent job with all the work they did. I have to get a piece of door trim pushed down a little, but that's all I have been able to spot. Total for the repairs was $6,848.00. I got a diminished claim estimate yesterday from a company here in GA. Their estimate is $3000.00 loss in value. Will see what the Insurance Company offers.
I didn't know how bad I missed driving it til I started home from the body shop!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts