Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at the Renegade and was going to take some things apart to look at and I realized that a lot of bolts, nuts, and screws on the car are torx (star). So I went ahead and purchased a full size run of both male and female torx set.

For the male and female torx sizes I purchased size T10-T20. Some sets I was looking at did not have size T20. For the male set I got the impact and tamper style. The Renegade don't use tamper torx, but other things I work on might require it. The impact torx aren't necessary and I wouldn't use them on my air tools, but it's good to know I can and that they are made stronger.

I purchased a extra set of micro or miniature set of male torx screw drivers. These consist of sizes T3-T10. These are less commonly used so they are more expensive than the larger size sets. I found out I needed these smaller ones for the area I was working with on the Renegade.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
. . . I have to ask. What are the spoons for?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
. . . I have to ask. What are the spoons for?

Spoons are usually for eating... Sorry I couldn't resist.

The picture was for my other post. I just recycled it for this one. I'm still waiting for the last set of torx male set to come in. I'll upload that picture when I get them.

I used the spoons to remove the needles off the gauge cluster.

Reactions: bwbike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've personally never seen external torx in my "tenure" as a mechanical-type guy. Do you or anyone have opinions on getting a good set of spline drive or perhaps a specific 12-point socket set to be more versatile or would you suggest a dedicated set for the few times you'll need them?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've personally never seen external torx in my "tenure" as a mechanical-type guy. Do you or anyone have opinions on getting a good set of spline drive or perhaps a specific 12-point socket set to be more versatile or would you suggest a dedicated set for the few times you'll need them?

I work on a lot of Japanese cars. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mitsubishi. I have all the tools needed to completely tear these cars apart down to the crank shaft and rebuild them. I've only ran into a handful of bolts/screws that required torx heads. I'm thinking steering wheel used a T10 screws, flywheel used a T12 nut (which I was able to use a multi point 12mm socket), and inside the differential.

So the torx style tools are new too me. I just purchase a cheap set from ebay and Amazon and tried to get the widest range in sizes I could. I work on cars enough that I know I needed a full set for the Jeep. But as for what sizes I needed, I don't know until I start working on the Jeep. From what I'm looking at so far all the normal places a Japanese car would use a size 10mm or 12mm nut/bolt, Jeep has used the torx equivalent size.

With all the mods I plan to do to the Renegade, I went ahead a purchased a standard range of sizes for the basic things. Anything bigger or smaller will require special sizes and I'll purchase them as I run into them. Like the miniature sizes I needed for the dash cluster. The standard sizes will probably get me through most of things I will work on. I just don't want to run into easy bits and not have the standard sizes on hand. All my local hardware stores don't carry torx tools on hand, so I would have to order them and wait for shipping.

As for what brands to get. I wouldn't know. I'll find out how these hold up and then go with a different brand if needed. I've worked with cheap tools before and they all work out fine. Over time they will wear out faster and not fit as well afterwards. Which will damage the nuts/bolts. If they break on you, you are using it wrong or should be using a strong quality tool in the first place. Hence the impact tools.

Craftsman use to be my tool of choice back when it was made in the USA, but now it's made in China and I don't swear by it anymore. They still have the lifetime warranty on there tools though. I still use them a lot and will purchase from them because they make great tools, but I can tell the quality from my Dad's old USA made ones and the current China made ones. I've been using cheaper brand tools recently because I like to keep a small set in all of my cars and advise all of my brothers to do the same. And it's better to keep cheap tools in all of these cars to keep cost down and if someone steals it, it's not a big deal. My main tool set in the garage are the expensive ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.