Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Totalled

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady slammed into my parked renegade. She pushed my jeep about 20 feet and pushed it up onto the sidewalk. Do you think it can be repaired or are they going to total it out?
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
I would guess it depend on whether the rear drive axel module has been damaged.

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Going to likely need a new hatch. The unibody in the rear is likely crushed in that rear quarter area. Rear quarter and trim, full bumper assy and cover. This is probably a good 6-8k repair at a certified Jeep body shop. If anything with the drivetrain or suspension is damaged, you can almost bet on this being totaled. That sucks, I hope the other driver has coverage.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
Going to likely need a new hatch. The unibody in the rear is likely crushed in that rear quarter area. Rear quarter and trim, full bumper assy and cover. This is probably a good 6-8k repair at a certified Jeep body shop. If anything with the drivetrain or suspension is damaged, you can almost bet on this being totaled. That sucks, I hope the other driver has coverage.
This is a realistic take... in normal times. Damage some of the suspension and you are in the 10k-12k territory. So if it is new enough they'll fix it, but also used car prices are through the roof. Right now it will take more damage to total a vehicle than it normally would as current market price is used to determine if compensation is cheaper than repair.

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is a realistic take... in normal times. Damage some of the suspension and you are in the 10k-12k territory. So if it is new enough they'll fix it, but also used car prices are through the roof. Right now it will take more damage to total a vehicle than it normally would as current market price is used to determine if compensation is cheaper than repair.
Yep, that was my thought exactly. Also add in another 1k for exhaust work... It rolls up FAST. I got rear-ended when I owned my Chevy Equinox. The damage looked superficial, they were able to repair the hatch. A new bumper and some paint was over $1700.

Private party value for a '17 Latitude with 50k miles (just used this as a baseline) is looking around $18-21k, so that has come up with the market. If you get near 75-80% of market value in damages... it could very well be scrap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a 2017

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Other driver had no license let alone insurance 😒 so far all I've gotten out of the dealer shop us that it's a lot of damage and he mentioned the rear quarter panel and my driver side rail frame. He said he's taking his time bc he doesn't want to miss anything. It's been a week and they're still taking it apart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If that were in the U.K. it would definitely be totalled. There will be dents and (or) creasing on the floor pan, that would make it costly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our son's 2018 Rene was rear ended in late May... $8k in damages, but was fixable. The problem was that parts were not available so it was in the shop from May to mid December. The insurance for the driver who rear ended him paid for a rental car from May to December -- those costs alone made them wish they had totalled it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our son's 2018 Rene was rear ended in late May... $8k in damages, but was fixable. The problem was that parts were not available so it was in the shop from May to mid December. The insurance for the driver who rear ended him paid for a rental car from May to December -- those costs alone made them wish they had totalled it.
Driver had no insurance and mine only covers up to 1500 in rental service

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Latitude 2.4 AT, 4x4
10 Posts
Hope you are okay - first thing. Will depend upon whether the alignment of body panels on that driver side are still good (essentially did the unibody get pushed out of square).

My '17 Altidude (? Altitude package) that I just bought at auction was totalled due to hail damage estimated at $11k. Bought it for $8k. Had to replace the rear brake light and windshield (and the rest of the car looks like crap). Hard to tell what your insurance will do. I would speak to the adjuster when they view it (or the body shop advisor) to see what they think.

Ted

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm glad so far your without known injury. State of Ohio lets you keep the medicals open for two years so please don't sign off for 30 days. You'd be surprised what a rear-ender can do to injure you. Sorry she had NOTHING. Surprised she didn't try to cut and run. I know the area and she qualifies for Mayor. She's like 1-in-5 there. State's Atty will likely not prosecute. Call it a "civil matter".

I hope they total your Rene. You deserve new. I don't say that often.

Reactions: tbearenegade

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm glad so far your without known injury. State of Ohio lets you keep the medicals open for two years so please don't sign off for 30 days. You'd be surprised what a rear-ender can do to injure you. Sorry she had NOTHING. Surprised she didn't try to cut and run. I know the area and she qualifies for Mayor. She's like 1-in-5 there. State's Atty will likely not prosecute. Call it a "civil matter".

I hope they total your Rene. You deserve new. I don't say that often.
I wasn't in the car. It was parked. Thanks for the info though. I still haven't heard from them about my car. It's been a week.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts