Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing my 2004 Liberty with a Trailhawk. I'm considering the Uconnect 6.5AN Radio. I like the idea of bigger screen with navigation, but have no interest in subscribing to Sirius or Uconnect. I'm confused by how long the free trial subscriptions last and what happens when they expire. Looking at interior options here under the details fine print for Navigation/Sirius XM Satellite Radio, it says Sirius XM traffic is a 5 year service, integrated with Uconnect and one year of Sirius XM traffic is included? So, it's a five year service, but only one year is included? Huh? (One year of Uconnect is included, right?) So, if I want traffic updates with navigation, after one year, I have to subscribe to both Uconnect and Sirius XM Traffic? What happens if I let those subscriptions expire? Do I still get GPS navigation and maps, but no traffic alerts? How would I update the maps and how much would that cost? Anybody know?

Another option would be to go with Uconnect 5.0 and replace the head unit with an aftermarket CarPlay unit, maybe when the 2nd gen ones come out. But can you even use a different one? I've read that some of the car functions are part of the head unit?

Funny how I'm obsessing over details that may not matter, I'll probably take whatever radio is installed if I like the other options. We saw a group of Renegades on the Long Canyon Trail in Moab last summer (we were in a lifted JK, not the Liberty) and I think they're pretty great.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My understanding is that some of the car functions are controlled thru the U-Connect units so I would doubt that you could simply replace it with another. It also displays the parkview backup camera on it's screen. I don't have my Renegade but that's what I found in a quick read of the manual.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm thinking about replacing my 2004 Liberty with a Trailhawk. I'm considering the Uconnect 6.5AN Radio. I like the idea of bigger screen with navigation, but have no interest in subscribing to Sirius or Uconnect. I'm confused by how long the free trial subscriptions last and what happens when they expire. Looking at interior options here under the details fine print for Navigation/Sirius XM Satellite Radio, it says Sirius XM traffic is a 5 year service, integrated with Uconnect and one year of Sirius XM traffic is included? So, it's a five year service, but only one year is included? Huh? (One year of Uconnect is included, right?) So, if I want traffic updates with navigation, after one year, I have to subscribe to both Uconnect and Sirius XM Traffic? What happens if I let those subscriptions expire? Do I still get GPS navigation and maps, but no traffic alerts? How would I update the maps and how much would that cost? Anybody know?

Another option would be to go with Uconnect 5.0 and replace the head unit with an aftermarket CarPlay unit, maybe when the 2nd gen ones come out. But can you even use a different one? I've read that some of the car functions are part of the head unit?

Funny how I'm obsessing over details that may not matter, I'll probably take whatever radio is installed if I like the other options. We saw a group of Renegades on the Long Canyon Trail in Moab last summer (we were in a lifted JK, not the Liberty) and I think they're pretty great.
I had the same exact questions last night when reading the brochure I got in the mail. Someone out there with all this already,:x please kindly answer! Much appreciation in advance

·
Registered
285 Posts
I purchased my Renegade on 7/25/15 and registered with SiriusXM.
From what I understand you will lose the SiriusXM radio service after one-year if you choose not to renew. After five years you'll lose all travel/weather/911/Traffic/Assist services.
The navigation system is managed by Mopar Uconnect. I've been trying myself to find out how much new maps would cost, but the Renegade is not listed on the Uconnect update website... yet.
See attached pic for my SiriusXm subscription info and a screen capture of the Uconnect Nav update website page.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I understand you will lose the SiriusXM radio service after one-year if you choose not to renew. After five years you'll lose all travel/weather/911/Traffic/Assist services.
The navigation system is managed by Mopar Uconnect. I've been trying myself to find out how much new maps would cost, but the Renegade is not listed on the Uconnect update website... yet.
See attached pic for my SiriusXm subscription info and a screen capture of the Uconnect Nav update website page.
That clears things up, even if part of the the answer is we don't know yet. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My understanding is that some of the car functions are controlled thru the U-Connect units so I would doubt that you could simply replace it with another. It also displays the parkview backup camera on it's screen. I don't have my Renegade but that's what I found in a quick read of the manual.
I think you're right. A lot of after market units can display backup cameras, but car functions, especially if they're built into the head unit, probably not.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I want to say if I can remember correctly, they wanted over $200 to update my maps on my Juke. I didn't update. The roads havent changed that much
Now do you have to pay for Uconnect service?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I want to say if I can remember correctly, they wanted over $200 to update my maps on my Juke. I didn't update. The roads havent changed that much
Now do you have to pay for Uconnect service?
Ugh.. you could buy a new GPS for that... My boss has a Cadillac and GM wants
$400+ to update his...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.