Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2016 renegade I just bought. I want to add a tow hitch to it. The issue is that it appears that to add a tow hitch it requires a new bumper and a big expense compared to the kit I found from renegade ready that mounts the hitch under the bumper.

My question is has anyone used this kit or done anything like this? How do you like it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I saw that but I was hoping to not have to remove my bumper and all that jazz

·
Registered
303 Posts
Depending on what kind of driving you do, remember an under bumper hitch greatly decreases ground clearance.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4wd
14 Posts
Hey everyone. I have a 2016 renegade I just bought. I want to add a tow hitch to it. The issue is that it appears that to add a tow hitch it requires a new bumper and a big expense compared to the kit I found from renegade ready that mounts the hitch under the bumper.

My question is has anyone used this kit or done anything like this? How do you like it?

I have this Curt hitch I installed myself, like stated it reduces ground clearance by at least 3” and it scrapes if I back into a parking spot on curbs. You have to widen holes in your frame if you’re comfortable with that. I have experience as an Auto Body Technician so I got away making the holes smaller than instructed but I still didn’t like doing it. With all the appropriate tools it took me about 2 hours by myself with a lunch break in there.

·
Super Moderator
3,574 Posts
Thanks for sharing I would never give up the factory hitch. Sorry I think Curt is ugly & ground clearance loss is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have a towbar fitted and it appears to be beneath the bumper. There is a small 50mm x50mm (2") section cut out of the bottom, rear of the bumper where the leg of the towhitch exits and then sits higher. The tow ball sits around level with the fog light. That is what I had in mind when you said yours was fitted beneath the bumper.

What I didn't envisage was the example you have shown.

Look, on one hand I have to congratulate you for fitting it yourself and then I have to take that compliment away from you. Why does any "Auto Body Technician" want to go scraping their tow hitch assembly upon the kerb?

Keep in mind that trailers should be level and perpendicular to the ground for towing. That means you can only tow a very low trailer unless you drastically increase the towball height which creates it's own issues with structural integrity and tow weights.

I know we could all pitch in with the do's and don'ts of towbar mounting but your concept is not for me, sorry. (n):cry:

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4wd
14 Posts
I have a towbar fitted and it appears to be beneath the bumper. There is a small 50mm x50mm (2") section cut out of the bottom, rear of the bumper where the leg of the towhitch exits and then sits higher. The tow ball sits around level with the fog light. That is what I had in mind when you said yours was fitted beneath the bumper.

What I didn't envisage was the example you have shown.

Look, on one hand I have to congratulate you for fitting it yourself and then I have to take that compliment away from you. Why does any "Auto Body Technician" want to go scraping their tow hitch assembly upon the kerb?

Keep in mind that trailers should be level and perpendicular to the ground for towing. That means you can only tow a very low trailer unless you drastically increase the towball height which creates it's own issues with structural integrity and tow weights.

I know we could all pitch in with the do's and don'ts of towbar mounting but your concept is not for me, sorry. (n):cry:
I had to get a 4” raise for my tow ball to get my boat trailer to sit level, but it makes me concerned with tongue weight but I’m hoping since it’s a small lightweight boat, 300lbs, and a small trailer that it won’t be an issue for now. As for why I went this route it was about $250 all in for the hitch and wiring to get me towing until I get the stock conversion kit or the Avid bumper.

I get your point of this hitch not being for you, it probably isn’t the right move for a lot of people, but it got me by for now being the cheaper option so finances could go to other things, me and my wife had our baby a month after that photo was taken.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I fully understand why people create ways to fit items to vehicles and I do appreciate your honesty but it's just not for me.

Good luck with the baby as it won't be long and they will driving the boat. Time flies past so quickly when they are young. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Keep in mind that the weight of your boat includes the weight of everything in it and the trailer weight ie

Engine, batteries, fuel, trailer spare wheel and boat fittings/accessories.

Though at 300lbs or 136kg you won't or shouldn't have too much of an overall load. UK Tongue weight calculation link

·
Registered
534 Posts
I want to like the AVID products, I really do. But their web site is....abysmal at best. They only show partial pics of their products and when you click on the incomplete 3/4 angle view pics for more info, all you get is a text description. No photo's ? No straight on/left side/right side shots of their products ? I can not drop the kind of coin they are asking for such an incomplete web site presentation based on a text listing, that's so 1960's back-of-magazine type of advertising. I need to see full pics of their product with and without a spare tire mounted, pics of their trailer hitches. Word of mouth by others is only slightly helpful.

I may still bite the bullet and get a factory MOPAR hitch set up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Etrailer Hitch. My husband and I have no experience in doing any body work on cars and were able to install it ourselves in our garage. It works well for me, but it does sit very low, so it might be a problem for people that offload and need all available ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
A low hitch makes me think about the level of the trailer when hooked up to the tow hitch. Without going into nose weights etc I only want to try and keep it simple.

Any trailer should be level with the tow vehicle when both are connected for safe driving.

Consideration now has to be given to the tyre/axle height of the trailer Vs the Jeep. If your trailer has "trailer wheels" (stronger but small) then you need to hope that the stub axle will keep it as high as a level towbar. On the Jeep that can be what appears to look as quite low. You would think my trailer Jockey wheel will hitthe road or a speed bump but it's as high as some larger 4x4s.

I wish I could provide a kids drawing as that would make my words read a lot easier :cry::LOL:

Do you have a picture of your trailer when it it is connected to your Jeep

·
Super Moderator
3,574 Posts
LLR sorry I don't like them type of hitched they take away from ground clearance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts