Jeep Renegade Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Renegade Tow Hook

Hey guys,

So I have a 75th anniversary edition Jeep Renegade, which is the Latitude version. I wanted to see if I could put in some red tow hooks, like that of the trailhawk. I found some on a website which are AddOnsZL1. Those are not the OEM. However, I also found some OEM red tow hooks on Ebay. I was wondering if any of you knew if in the first place, I could put in a red tow hook. If so, can I put in the OEM ones? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
u would have to ask the dealer for the exact parts

my guess is 9 10 11 12 all the brackets and the hooks and bolts if it will work

not 100% sure ask the dealer , im sure others will chime in and help ya out

im tryin to put the rear hook on my latitude - i need the hook the bolts and the clips i know i will break some lol but i cant find them anywhere - i have to call dealer or stop by there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok nice. Yea I saw these ZL1 Addons which looked pretty decent, not sure if you saw these too.

But I would rather like to get the OEM editions. Btw, did you just pry open the eye tow cap on the jeep? Can you put it on and off for the front and back?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
yep u can - i have those zl1 they are only for tie downs not for pulling or towing - do not try to use it that way

1 is longer then the other - i think the longer one goes in the front i cant remember u will see when/if u get them

u cant really see the rear but its there - i no longer use the front as i have the brush bar now
it looked weird keeping it in there
i use the zl1 to tie down my tool boxs / cases i drag around

oh those caps/covers just pop off and on no problem - when i have the zl1 installed i remove them all together - there is a plastic teather that just clips into the bumper like a annoying shirt tag lolol just pull it out so u dont lose it and it wont annoy flapping around they go back in easy no problem

·
Registered
184 Posts
yep u can - i have those zl1 they are only for tie downs not for pulling or towing - do not try to use it that way

1 is longer then the other - i think the longer one goes in the front i cant remember u will see when/if u get them
I been thinking of getting those tow hooks so that, if I ever slid off the road in winter, the tow truck would have a place to attach. Are you saying those ZL tow hooks are not meant for that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is already thread on this forum for this.
You cannot just put the OEM TH hooks on your latitude because the main bumper is different and not strong enough (aluminum vs steel). Nor does it have the bolt holes to match the hook mounting hardware. If you buy the TH bumper and all the other stuff you may then have issues with the Latitude front bodywork fitting (dont know this for sure).
I bought all the hooks and hardware to put them on my TH (that didn't come with them for safety Regs in Europe) and buying the parts on eBay came to about $600.
There is another thread here on the forum of a latitude being pulled out of the mud with those non OEM tow hooks. It ripped his bumper clean off....

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The hooks are good. But the bumpers on the truck will not hold the forces used to pull/ tow. The bumpers will only be good to tie down goods or to use on flatbed tow truck to hold the truck in place. This is the reason I want the trailhawk bumper in the rear. Or get a renegade ready under mount hitch or renegade ready tow hitch kit. I would not use the bumper in the way u want.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have been looking into this. It is my plan to swap out for a Trailhawk front end eventually, but right now it is just too expensive. From my research--yes you do need all the brackets, and the Trailhawk bumper, and maybe the bumper cover to have the tow hooks. I'm not sure if the hooks will clear the chin on the Latitude, and anyway the hooks look better with the Trailhawk bumper cover. It is so so hard to find information on the
Is swap. There isn't even a diagram that actually pictures the Trailhawk front. Why, Jeep?

This makes putting a ragtop sunroof in my bug look like child's play.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check your manual.

The only version of the Renegade with actual tow hooks is the Trailhawk 4x4.

All other versions don't actually have "tow hooks" (though even MOPAR uses this confusing descriptor).

The other Renegade models do have mount points for an "eye bolt" that is only intended to be used on a level surface for a tow truck to carefully load the vehicle onto a flat bed -- NOT for pulling a bogged Renny out of the mud with a snatch strap.

·
Registered
476 Posts
@Fingers
Do you mind listing the parts you had to buy to add the hooks? I managed to find a Trailhawk bumper cover, so my parts collection for the project can begin. Were there three brackets per side or just two? And does anyone know why Jeep charges way more for one tow hook that the other?

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
your better off going to a junkyard and looko for a crashed trailhawk and get all the parts from the mooshed one

as long as its not a head on crash or front crash - im sure you will pay less and get everything u need -- plus u can easily see where everything goes and how it bolts up without guessing

now the torque of each bolt is another story

·
Registered
476 Posts
your better off going to a junkyard and looko for a crashed trailhawk and get all the parts from the mooshed one

as long as its not a head on crash or front crash - im sure you will pay less and get everything u need -- plus u can easily see where everything goes and how it bolts up without guessing

now the torque of each bolt is another story
Easier said than done. I can't find a junkyard that has one. Do you know how to find one? The biggest junkyard company here (owns three large yards) doesn't even have Renegades as an option on the search.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
the yards around here have a few mostly the sport or limited version - there are 3 i know of in my area , but i want the rear bumper and hook setup ---- and my luck each one of them is a rear crash !

keep looking you will find one - even if u have to look every week until u find one - if not spend the cash to get it all new - its not like u need it right now or u will pass out and die lolol

keep searching or search out of state yards .
good luck hope u find your unicorn lol as i hope i do as well !! i dont want the front hooks , just the rear bumper and hook ..

oh and sorry forgot to say --- most yards wont update as fast as they should - i suggest u call them and ask if they have any in the yard - then go out to it if they do

·
Registered
476 Posts
@elf883
Thanks, I will keep looking. I have been to a couple of junkyards on person. They looked at me like I had a third arm. "I've never even seen a Renegade", one guy said. Hey if you find the parts I need in your area maybe I could pay you to get them?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take a look at this picture.
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57242&d=1486053884
Yes you need ALL the sheet metal items on the Tow Hook package, however they will mount without them but these braces help spread the load and would be rather foolish not to get/use them.
Also you need the all bolts (which are not listed) and the large nut that screws into the back of the hook...see here:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57266&d=1486053884

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks! Very helpful.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a Trailhawk and the rear tow hook looks lonely, will or has anyone put an OEM red hook on the passenger side rear? Will it fit with just the cover popped out or would you have to cut out the hole opening. Really wondering since the kayak won't have put one point on the rear to tie down.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.