Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While turning slightly right to merge onto southbound traffic from eastbound at an intersection, I gave some throttle to accelerate from the turn and suddenly the traction control light comes on and I lose throttle control.
The Renegade was still running but all power was cut from the wheels for about 5-10 seconds until traction light came off.
I have no idea what happened, no slippery or sandy surface. Good thing no one was behind me because the loss of forward momentum was pretty serious.

Brand new Jeep Renegade '16 Dawn of Justice edition with only 400 miles on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had this happen to me twice now. Once was rolling through a stop sign and making about an 80 degree left hand turn. The second was a quick turn onto a road, again, a sharp turn. Same result as the OP, traction control light flashed a few times, power to the axles felt cut out for a second or two, then the light went out and power to the driveline was restored.

Coincidentally, I read on here, in another thread where a guy had his vehicle seemingly go "dead" when making U-turns a few times. I'm now wondering if it was the same issue.

I'm not sure if it's turning too sharply while the wheels are moving in a certain direction , and that extra force on them makes the system "feel" like there is some slippage perhaps? I don't know...

I may try driving with the traction control turned off for a while and see if it prevents it from happening again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Driving with traction control off is not a great idea. Just my 2c. If its acting up take it to the stealership. Much safer.

I agree, if it's acting up, it will go to the dealer. However, I want to drive with the TC turned off to see if the problem still exists. I don't think driving with it off on dry pavement would be a bad thing... I've driven cars most of my life that never had it, so shouldn't be a big deal...

Mainly, I was just curious if anyone else had experienced it. Apparently, two of us have so far...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same problem happen to me several times. Always on sharp turns at speed. TCS blinks on the dash, was wondering if this was an issue or not ?

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
I suspect it may be multiple things going on.

1) hard turns, open diff up front in the transaxle, combine these with romping on the gas hard, and you will try to spin the outside front wheel, even in an 80hp car (I know, becuase I've done it regularly in an 80hp FWD car).

2) Slipping wheels activating traction control isn't an unexpected thing.

So, I suspect there is an additional element contributing to it, like it's strategy rather than applying abs to the wheel is to reduce throttle input, and it does so after the TCU has used that throttle input to make a decision about how to shift, and now you have to get to the other side of being at really wrong RPMs for the gear you were shifting to and having to shift again immediately.

I'm also curious if the people having the problems are driving trailhawks or something else. Because I've set of TC, but not really with those results It seems to do the right thing. However the TH also has, in theory, some different software logic for left right torque split to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bet it is not the Traction control but the Electronic Skid Protection. Imagine the dynamics of the vehicle when doign a uturn w/ any momentum. I bet the ESC thinks the vehicle is tipping and cuts the power to the engine to make sure it does not tip. Now in reality this shouldn't happen when doing a uturn, but if you happen to lose control on rainy highway, it knows to try and correct the sideways movement of the vehicle with brakes and cutting engine power from the drive train.

See my post on turning off the entire TC and ESC controls and go do some u-turns. see if it cuts power etc etc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some of the turns I make are not extremely harsh. I'm talking 25-35 MPH at most. Most of the time it is turning left (90 degree) against on coming traffic where you need to go give it a little gas to get across the intersection. I'm more curios if this is a problem and I need to go back to the dealership. My dealership is liking talking to a wall nothing gets done if I have a problem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine has done the same thing a few times, always when turning left. It is the traction control, not the ESP. I think the TC system sees the outer front wheel spinning faster than the other three and believes it is slipping. Hasn't happened in a few weeks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've recently had this happening on my vehicle. It happened to me while going completely straight down my street at 25 mph the other day. This is a new issue for me since getting renegade back from the dealership 4/4.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I forgot to mention that I've had this happen numerous times, not just the once. It's happened while going straight and while turning. I also have a trailhawk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a Sport, a year old now and has around 6000 miles on it. I have had numerous problems and got them fixed one by one over the past one year. From the last 3 days, I have had this problem where the traction light blinks and the car loses power. It happened twice and I have dropped it off at the dealership. They called me back and said there were no codes and they dont see any issues. I also explained to them that this happened to me while I was making left and right turns at speeds less than 20 mph. Has anyone got this issue fixed? Any advise/suggesstions will help!
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
traction control comes on everyday driving

I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude. I has 10,000 miles and 6 months old. My traction control light comes on and cuts power when I do a sharp turn on dry roads. Put it in the shop and they kept it for 2 weeks and said there was nothing wrong with it. I love my jeep but this is ridiculous. Now its doing it in areas it never has before. I'm ready to check into the lemon law. Any thoughts out there

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude. I has 10,000 miles and 6 months old. My traction control light comes on and cuts power when I do a sharp turn on dry roads. Put it in the shop and they kept it for 2 weeks and said there was nothing wrong with it. I love my jeep but this is ridiculous. Now its doing it in areas it never has before. I'm ready to check into the lemon law. Any thoughts out there
I'm going the lemon law route with mine. I have signed a retainer agreement with an attorney but that's as far as I've got so far, hoping to hear more about the process from the attorney next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car is currently in the dealership to address this issue. I've owned my Renegade Latitude since August 2015 and never had this issue until 3/29/16 after I picked it up from the dealership and the thermostat was replaced. Not sure it is coincidental, but since 3/29/16, this issue has occurred at least one or twice a day. As noted, it primarily happens when making a sharp turn into traffic or at a light. Pretty scary stuff when the engine acceleration dies...

Just received a call from the dealership and they said they have driven it for 20 miles and did not have a problem nor did they see any codes appear. Told them to keep driving it. Hopefully, they will have an answer. Really starting to loose faith in this car...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Latitude and a Trailhawk. I primarily drive the Latitude and that's what I've noticed it in. having been aware of what caused this in the past, I am still playing with the Jeep a little to see if I can re-create the issue on-demand. So far, I have not... not exactly. I am able to see it more on left hand turns, and I notice it on sharp turns when I'm still moving (not a stop and pull out from a turn). My experience has been that while the vehicle is turning, and the RPMs are dropping. I'll keep trying to get more details.

With my situation anyways, I don't really think it's a problem with the Jeep, but maybe more of a sensor that has parameters that may need to be slightly modified. I don't think it's anything that will every through a diagnostic code.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My car is currently in the dealership to address this issue. I've owned my Renegade Latitude since August 2015 and never had this issue until 3/29/16 after I picked it up from the dealership and the thermostat was replaced. Not sure it is coincidental, but since 3/29/16, this issue has occurred at least one or twice a day. As noted, it primarily happens when making a sharp turn into traffic or at a light. Pretty scary stuff when the engine acceleration dies...

Just received a call from the dealership and they said they have driven it for 20 miles and did not have a problem nor did they see any codes appear. Told them to keep driving it. Hopefully, they will have an answer. Really starting to loose faith in this car...
I'm thinking it's an issue with some sort of new software update. As I said earlier I've had a **** ton of problems, but this one is new and only started happening after taking my vehicle in for service in March.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2015 Renegade 3800 miles. It is in the shop right now due to the traction control and losing all power. This is the 3rd time there for this and they are keeping it for a week to try and recreate the problem

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had mine since Nov 15. The traction control interrupts on one part of the road I live on & nowhere else.

When I drive over a small bridge that has a bit of a hump, then followed by a slight curve & put my foot on the accelerator to speed up again, then the traction control kicks in, loose power for a second or two, then OK. It does not matter whether it is dry, wet, cold etc.

However, if I do not put my foot down, then all OK & just wait until past the slight curve & I can accelerate as hard as I like.

Going over the bridge the other way & no problems.

A slight annoyance, but I can live with it.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts