Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum looking for opinions. We currently have a stock 2-door 2015 Wrangler that we use for street driving and also off roading (trails) during the winter months in Arizona. After this past winter I have noticed that having only two doors is a bit of an issue and I really wish we had purchased the 4-door instead. My husband went to the dealership the other day and came home excited about the Renegade Trailhawk. After looking at some reviews and videos online of the Trailhawk off roading I have some concerns about using that vehicle some of the places we have gone in AZ. It just doesn't appear to have the clearance and power needed and I worry that it might be damaged too easily. Not that we get very wild but some of the trails are rocky. Would really like to have some advise from current owners about the Trailhawk being used off highway. Also, advise about larger wheels and lifting, are they necessary for off highway with the Trailhawk? Does it have enough power for this activity? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The Renegade is not as capable off-road as the Wrangler.
There are modifications you can make to improve the Renegade's capabilities.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would say that the Trailhawk renegade is just as capable as some Wranglers in off roading...and can go many places the Wrangler goes. Not everyplace, but many places.
Now a FWD sport isn't going to do much off roading.

·
Registered
140 Posts
TrailHawk will most likely not do what you are wanting it to do, from the sounds of it. Even a lifted TH isn't as capable as a modded wrangler. Main limitations being ground clearance and lack of flex.

Edited to add: Don't get my wrong, I love mine. But I knew I didn't need a wrangler for what stuff ill be playing in offroad on the weekends.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I will put my renegade against a stock wrangler any day (non rubicon). I have gone thru some stuff in my renegade. It's 90% driver. Pick a good line and you will be fine.

A modified wrangler has it beat no doubt. And the renegade does have its down fall and that is mainly large rocks. But the skid plates do an excellent job of protecting the important stuff. Mine are all scraped to **** but it's a tough little jeep.

·
Registered
715 Posts
But the skid plates do an excellent job of protecting the important stuff. Mine are all scraped to **** but it's a tough little jeep.
Got any pics Nick? I still have yet to try mine out, but am interested to see your middle PTU slid.. That break over has me most worried other than the manifold piece sticking between the front skid. Obviously the cresting of hills and such will change the possibility of hitting that PTU, but am wondering if you're gotten close, or have hit it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Got any pics Nick? I still have yet to try mine out, but am interested to see your middle PTU slid.. That break over has me most worried other than the manifold piece sticking between the front skid. Obviously the cresting of hills and such will change the possibility of hitting that PTU, but am wondering if you're gotten close, or have hit it.
I'll take a picture tonight, Remind me to post it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses. As we expected, it's mixed reviews. I think for what we do we probably better off sticking with the Wrangler but the Trailhawk is sure a great Jeep! Thanks again and happy trails!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'll take a picture tonight, Remind me to post it.
I'd love to see the pic too, if you have it please post. Thanks
But the skid plates do an excellent job of protecting the important stuff. Mine are all scraped to **** but it's a tough little jeep.

Here are some pictures of my underside. Please excuse the mud. I don't believe I have ever rubbed the center diff cover. I try to keep it off the rocks though, that's really the weakness I see. Just not enough ground clearance for random boulders. I have rubbed the exhaust flex pipe a couple times.

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thank you Nick1236!! I appreciate your pictures, Im just weary as I have yet to really go offroad...and planning a trail run in July. Ive got bigger tires, and rock sliders, so it looks like Im ok :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
To the original point, the people at Motor Trend's Dirt Every Day took Black Bear Pass successfully in a stock Trailhawk without destroying it:

http://youtu.be/gthrdNtQuJQ

There's some muttering that FCA sponsored them to do it, but even if money changed hands the little Jeep makes it.

Obviously you're not going to remove the front bumper and go up the stairsteps in Pritchett Canyon, but some people have done some pretty serious trails with this little Jeep without doing any modifications to it.

If you have open differentials in your Wrangler then the traction-control-based wheelspin stop stuff might actually be an improvement in certain specific conditions. Granted, it's very easy to build-up the Wrangler.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Renegade Trailhawk will do more off-road than most owners would be comfortable doing....It is more capable than the people driving it, and they will reach the ends of their comfort level long before it reaches the ends of its ability...lol, if it can't conquer an obstacle, i am almost 100% sure it's driver error....

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Renegade Trailhawk will do more off-road than most owners would be comfortable doing....It is more capable than the people driving it, and they will reach the ends of their comfort level long before it reaches the ends of its ability...lol, if it can't conquer an obstacle, i am almost 100% sure it's driver error....
I agree the little Jeeps are plenty capable, but I definitely would that far ^.

Ground clearance is a big issue with the Renegade, as is the lack of flex to get over larger obstacles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why does everyone continually try to compare the two?
they are two completely different creatures, built with two completely different ideas in mind.

It's like constantly comparing siblings..
-Wrangler, the football playing (Friday night lights) high school jock.
-Renegade is nerdier little brother living in the shadow of his older siblings reputation, always being told 'why can't you be more like...'
hmm, sounds like an '80's teen movie plot huh?
sure:
Wrangler and Renegade
-Both are jeeps
-Both are/can be 4x4

But after that both are oriented differently:
-Wrangler is 'more hard core' offroader
while:
-Renegade is more 'family freindly'
And:
Wrangler is bigger., more powerful
Renegade is compact and oriented to efficiency
Lets not forget:
-Wrangler is pure Americana (like muscle cars and cruiser motorcycles)
-Renegade is 'World market' giving access to the jeep name and reputation into areas it's never been.

And don't forget, Wrangler traces it line all the way back through the CJ series to military service, Renegade is new (now in it 3rd model year), Wrangler has had 25 times as long to built that reputation whose shadow Renegade has to live under!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't see a comparison between the two. Solid axles, real transfer case, repairable off road, not driven by electronics.. versus renegade.

I can't speak for the current wrangler with ABS, traction control and more electronics... to me the simple, durable, off-roading g jeep with the bulletproof engine ended with the TJ.

I see no point in off-roading an independent suspension unibody vehicle with simulated 4wd.

·
Registered
676 Posts
New to this forum looking for opinions. We currently have a stock 2-door 2015 Wrangler that we use for street driving and also off roading (trails) during the winter months in Arizona. After this past winter I have noticed that having only two doors is a bit of an issue and I really wish we had purchased the 4-door instead. My husband went to the dealership the other day and came home excited about the Renegade Trailhawk. After looking at some reviews and videos online of the Trailhawk off roading I have some concerns about using that vehicle some of the places we have gone in AZ. It just doesn't appear to have the clearance and power needed and I worry that it might be damaged too easily. Not that we get very wild but some of the trails are rocky. Would really like to have some advise from current owners about the Trailhawk being used off highway. Also, advise about larger wheels and lifting, are they necessary for off highway with the Trailhawk? Does it have enough power for this activity? Thanks in advance.
Go back for the Wrangler and you will not be disappointed. Can not compare the two, they are not in the same league.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Go back for the Wrangler and you will not be disappointed. Can not compare the two, they are not in the same league.
Before you make that statement. How do you know their exact off road needs...
Maybe a lifted ,wheel and tire changed, rock slider TH will work just fine for them

1 - 20 of 56 Posts