Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
I would say that the Trailhawk renegade is just as capable as some Wranglers in off roading...and can go many places the Wrangler goes. Not everyplace, but many places.

and enjoy the forum!
Have fun with your little Jeep! We do!

·
Registered
341 Posts
New to this forum looking for opinions. We currently have a stock 2-door 2015 Wrangler that we use for street driving and also off roading (trails) during the winter months in Arizona. After this past winter I have noticed that having only two doors is a bit of an issue and I really wish we had purchased the 4-door instead. My husband went to the dealership the other day and came home excited about the Renegade Trailhawk. After looking at some reviews and videos online of the Trailhawk off roading I have some concerns about using that vehicle some of the places we have gone in AZ. It just doesn't appear to have the clearance and power needed and I worry that it might be damaged too easily. Not that we get very wild but some of the trails are rocky. Would really like to have some advise from current owners about the Trailhawk being used off highway. Also, advise about larger wheels and lifting, are they necessary for off highway with the Trailhawk? Does it have enough power for this activity? Thanks in advance.
I cut my teeth on old army jeeps and cj5's and they are still the best. I went through the bigger is better more and more horsepower stage with of course giant tires and lift. Then one day we were in the rough trying to climb a mountain with mud snow bogs and steep incline some places rocky with lots of close spaced trees. We were constantly getting stuck, but it was great fun, then a guy dropped in to see what all the fuss was about and he had a 1947 cj5 with skinny tires and the original flathead 30hp engine. We chatted for a bit and then he saiud he would try just for fun. The rest of us laughed thinking he dosent have a chance in .... of making it if we can't make it with all our souped up rigs winches and every do dad money can buy but he did. He simply putted right on by us and even drove around Arnold whose tricked out cj7 was stuck in a mud hole hardly even spinning a tire. He made the top turned around and came back down and sat and chatted for a bit sipping on a beer. His old jeep with 30hp redline at 3grand < 3 grand was 60mph in top gear and that was with your foot on the floor>and skinny little tires totally stock jeep taught me a lesson. .

That said you must think of the trailhawk rene as comparable to the old jeep. It dosent need 500hp and giant tires in the hands of a skilled driver it can go pretty much any where. I learned with mine to use the manual shift function to get engine revs up for more tourqe. If you leave it in the auto mode it is far less capable. Another advantage it has over the very wide wrangler is its small and like the old jeep above it can get into places the wrangler can only dream about. I love my rene tH but plan on getting a 2dr rubidon with the dana 44 axles. They have wised up and now are available with a four banger again but not sure the rub is available with that engine yet. Oh, did i mention the rene TH can drive past lots of gas stations without having to fill up

·
Registered
341 Posts
Me too. :D Ahh those were the days as a young man playing soldiers and going places that the 4 Ton trucks couldn't reach. I loved the short wheel Landrover the best. :love:
Yep, those were great. Never was in the service but loved the outdoors and a jeep was the best ticket to out of the way places. LR tended to be a little tippy in the steep stuff the jeep was more forgiving. The LR i used was a hardtop and seemed a little top heavy but kept one out of the elements much better than the old jeep.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I cut my teeth on old army jeeps and cj5's and they are still the best. I went through the bigger is better more and more horsepower stage with of course giant tires and lift. Then one day we were in the rough trying to climb a mountain with mud snow bogs and steep incline some places rocky with lots of close spaced trees. We were constantly getting stuck, but it was great fun, then a guy dropped in to see what all the fuss was about and he had a 1947 cj5 with skinny tires and the original flathead 30hp engine. We chatted for a bit and then he saiud he would try just for fun. The rest of us laughed thinking he dosent have a chance in .... of making it if we can't make it with all our souped up rigs winches and every do dad money can buy but he did. He simply putted right on by us and even drove around Arnold whose tricked out cj7 was stuck in a mud hole hardly even spinning a tire. He made the top turned around and came back down and sat and chatted for a bit sipping on a beer. His old jeep with 30hp redline at 3grand < 3 grand was 60mph in top gear and that was with your foot on the floor>and skinny little tires totally stock jeep taught me a lesson. .

That said you must think of the trailhawk rene as comparable to the old jeep. It dosent need 500hp and giant tires in the hands of a skilled driver it can go pretty much any where. I learned with mine to use the manual shift function to get engine revs up for more tourqe. If you leave it in the auto mode it is far less capable. Another advantage it has over the very wide wrangler is its small and like the old jeep above it can get into places the wrangler can only dream about. I love my rene tH but plan on getting a 2dr rubidon with the dana 44 axles. They have wised up and now are available with a four banger again but not sure the rub is available with that engine yet. Oh, did i mention the rene TH can drive past lots of gas stations without having to fill up
Exactly this. I took mine off road a few weekends ago and I was doing things the much bigger Jeeps were doing with less hangups. The big Jeeps have such long wheel bases, that's why they get such big tires and lifts. The little Rene just clears obstacles so much easier, as the front wheels come down the backs are going up and you don't high center like a longer wheel base does. I watched a new JL 4 door on 40s try to make a rock ledge and failed, just kept getting hung up. Then I watched a little side by side, probably not all that higher up than the rene, about the same dimensions just crawl up with no issue what so ever. Proved my theory lol. These are amazing Jeeps off road.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Exactly this. I took mine off road a few weekends ago and I was doing things the much bigger Jeeps were doing with less hangups. The big Jeeps have such long wheel bases, that's why they get such big tires and lifts. The little Rene just clears obstacles so much easier, as the front wheels come down the backs are going up and you don't high center like a longer wheel base does. I watched a new JL 4 door on 40s try to make a rock ledge and failed, just kept getting hung up. Then I watched a little side by side, probably not all that higher up than the rene, about the same dimensions just crawl up with no issue what so ever. Proved my theory lol. These are amazing Jeeps off road.
yep, exactly what ive noticed. But you need to use the manual setting on tranny ti get enough engine rpm to crawl over some obsticles. Amazing little jeep for sure and very capable

·
Registered
49 Posts
I didn't use manual mode at all... the 4LO mode held it in first good, but I did notice rock mode really changes it up. Holds you back... i preferred mud mode and adapt my right foot lol.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I didn't use manual mode at all... the 4LO mode held it in first good, but I did notice rock mode really changes it up. Holds you back... i preferred mud mode and adapt my right foot lol.
I've been in very steep places and you have to crawl, i mean really crawl and once your engine quits your in deep do do so i use the manul tranny setting locking it in the lowest gear so i can have some engine rpms to insure i don't stall.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my understanding is there is no lo range its done with software
4LO on the TH locks in it 1st gear. Any other time it starts and stops from 2nd gear in normal driving conditions. The 4WD system will transfer power where it needs it based on slipping, that's what is controlled by the software. It's not changing gears in 4LO.

·
Registered
341 Posts
4LO on the TH locks in it 1st gear. Any other time it starts and stops from 2nd gear in normal driving conditions. The 4WD system will transfer power where it needs it based on slipping, that's what is controlled by the software. It's not changing gears in 4LO.
I didn't realize it used 2nd for first except when in 4lo. Thanks for the info(y)
I do know these little guys are amazing in what they can do and do it with ease.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The TH does pretty well off road. It'll go most places a Wrangler will go, as long as we're not discussing a Rubicon.

What it won't do is stand up to the bumping and banging that a Wrangler will take. If occasional off roading si your style the Rene is good. But if you plan on extensive tough off roading, you'd need a Wrangler.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The TH does pretty well off road. It'll go most places a Wrangler will go, as long as we're not discussing a Rubicon.

What it won't do is stand up to the bumping and banging that a Wrangler will take. If occasional off roading si your style the Rene is good. But if you plan on extensive tough off roading, you'd need a Wrangler.
according to jeep that badge means the vehicle has been tested on the rbicon trail.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts