Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
another recall to add to the list for this car.

the recalled jeeps were built between 8/25/2014-6/25/2016

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/201...-for-problem-with-optional-trailer-hitch.html

"The trailer-hitch assembly may have been attached with only a single fastener per side, not three per side as required," the NHTSA said in its recall summary. "Without the proper number of fasteners, the trailer-hitch assembly may separate from the vehicle, and any towed vehicle may no longer be properly connected, increasing the risk of a crash."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bumper Hitch Recall

I received an email from CarComplaints.com today informing me that Renegades built between 8/25/14 and 6/25/15 were being recalled due to faulty factory installed bumper hitch:

“The hitches are supposed to be attached with three fasteners per side, so with just one fastener the tow bars could become loose and cause noise from the rear of the SUVs. If nothing is done, the entire tow bar can separate from the SUV and cause serious problems for every driver on the road.”

I've only used my bumper hitch with a cargo carrier for light loads but this could be very serious.

Anyone else familiar with this?

Thanks,
kaba

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
845 Posts
I too did the Renegade Ready hitch installation myself, so I bet I know which 4 bolts they are missing. I wouldn't trust a bike rack to stay in place with the two remaining fasteners. Best to keep your distance if you see a Renegade towing something! So many people ignore recalls.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Glad I got the factory hitch. Saved me time and money, and it's not my fault if it fails. Someone else will be paying that bill. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Maybe I can crawl under first to see how it is mounted and to see if any bolts are missing. Rather do that first than sit at a dealership. Or is this just a way to have your Renegade visit the mother ship..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked under my 2016 TrailHawk last night and identified the problem. There are 6 welded studs (welded to/thru the uni-body) that the receiver mounts to. 3 are above the exhaust tip, and 3 more on the other side. Both sides are in something of a triangular pattern for the fasteners. As the studs (bolts) are welded in, the problem lies with the nuts...which are the missing component. In my case, there are indeed 2 nuts installed, rather than the 6 that are supposed to be there. I contacted my local dealer about this, this past Monday afternoon, but still have yet to hear back from them, as technically the recall notice I received said that there is not a repair schedule yet in place. I looked online and found what should be a suitable replacement. At McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com):

99908A102

M8-1.25 Zinc Yellow-Chromate Flange Locknuts (Class 10) (these look to be identical to the 2 installed Jeep fasteners)

They're only availabe in bags of (50), but they're only $12.26 for the pack plus shipping. I have plenty of plans for my Renegade and trailer and I don't want to wait possibly weeks for this to get sorted out if I can do it myself. It appears that the additional 4 nuts that need to be added are able to be installed without removing anything from the Jeep. I'll back it up on my ramps to give myself a little more room, but even that isn't completely necessary. Only tool(s) that should be required will be a 13mm wrench or deep-well socket and ratchet.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
"The trailer-hitch assembly may have been attached with only a single fastener per side, not three per side as required," the NHTSA said in its recall summary. "Without the proper number of fasteners, the trailer-hitch assembly may separate from the vehicle, and any towed vehicle may no longer be properly connected, increasing the risk of a crash

Owners of these vehicles may notice a rattling noise coming from the rear of the vehicle while driving.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.