Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My salesman called saying he could now order 2016's. He also said I could pick between brands of tires. I'd like to hear from forum members as to which brand they think would be the best choice - Kumho, Goodyear, Continental, Dunlop or Michelin

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tim

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
There are really only two choices for lite truck tires that will fit. The wranglers that come stock, or the geolanders.

Don't let them up sell you on passenger car tires. I doubt those options are factory choices. C

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no upcharge on the tire choices. The sheet the salesman gave me lists under options:
TZL - Kumho
TZA - Goodyear
TZC - Continental
TZD - Dunlop
TZH - Michelin

· Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
My salesman called saying he could now order 2016's. He also said I could pick between brands of tires. I'd like to hear from forum members as to which brand they think would be the best choice - Kumho, Goodyear, Continental, Dunlop or Michelin

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tim
I'd have to see the actual tires they're offering as choices. Never heard of Kumho, but I guess I'd generally trust the other brands to be of decent quality,

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Kumho makes some pretty tough tires. Of all the stuff I put on my last car they were the only ones to survive NJ potholes without a huge weight penalty over stock.

But you need to know what tires, other than the factory OEM. FCA isn't doing this, and the dealer isn't doing it for free, I can guarantee that. They are making money somewhere on this.

· Registered
610 Posts
Kumho makes some pretty tough tires. Of all the stuff I put on my last car they were the only ones to survive NJ potholes without a huge weight penalty over stock.

But you need to know what tires, other than the factory OEM. FCA isn't doing this, and the dealer isn't doing it for free, I can guarantee that. They are making money somewhere on this.

I just did a quick search on Tire Rack to see what's available for all terrain and slightly wider than stock size. Hankook, Kumho and Yokohama all of nice (affordable) options in 235/65-17.

Hankook Dynapro AT-M
Kumho Roadventure AT KL78
Kumho Roadventure AT51
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S

· Registered
610 Posts
I just did a quick search on Tire Rack to see what's available for all terrain and slightly wider than stock size. Hankook, Kumho and Yokohama all of nice (affordable) options in 235/65-17.

Hankook Dynapro AT-M
Kumho Roadventure AT KL78
Kumho Roadventure AT51
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Since I can't edit the post, just want to add that it looks like 235 might have clearance issues at full turn (for sure with 1" spacer, not sure if there will be issues with no spacers).

In 225/65-17, there are only two all terrain options on Tire Rack:
Yokohama Geolander
Pirelli Scorpion ATR

In 235/60-17, Bridgestone Dueler A/T. Much lower wear rating than the others at 360 B A (others are around 500).

In 225/60-17, Yokohama Geolander.

· Registered
715 Posts
Michelins are the way to go HANDS DOWN for a road tire. If they make it, and AT2 would be their all terrain. Kuhmos aren't too bad, but if the option is there, Michelin. Yoko ATS are by far the best performing and looking all terrains so far around these sizes.

· Registered
161 Posts
Not sure about these days, but Kumho used to license Michelin technology for some of their bigger commercial truck tires. They were about 98% the quality of Michelins for about 70% of the price. This was about a decade ago. Not sure if they did the same for any passenger or non-CDL vehicle tires.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Not sure about these days, but Kumho used to license Michelin technology for some of their bigger commercial truck tires. They were about 98% the quality of Michelins for about 70% of the price. This was about a decade ago. Not sure if they did the same for any passenger or non-CDL vehicle tires.
I dunno, but on my last car, I had dunlops, pirellis, bridgestones and continentals on it. They all succumbed to bad roads. The Khumo's were cheaper, quieter, and held up to the abuse better. They are tough tires from my experience, regardless of how they get to be that way.

· Registered
196 Posts

Ive never heard of someone being able to "pick there tires" its whatever the car manufacture gets a good bulk price on is what goes on the car not the best but not horrable now personally I go Michelin or Goodyear though the Kumo's that came with my latitude seem nice so far

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I chose to go with Michelins. The only information I had to choose from was brand names, not the specific tire model. I don't expect much from OEM tires so I'll give them a try and see what happens.

· Registered
715 Posts
SO TORN!! It seems my Michelin/BFG discount is more friendly to the wallet (this will literally be my 3rd set of tires in 3 years) than the Yoko ATS will be. Its about a 45$ difference...BUT big factor is, BFG AT KO2 # 95341 is a D load tire. Heavier, bulkier, and more badass looking...but mileage will suffer Im sure of. Any one using a heavier load rated tire? Those 16s I saw someone has some mud looking tires on here..just dont want to drop 630+ if Im only gonna get under 25mpg.. **** BFGs for looking so nice :|

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.