Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I experimented with some AutoDip, basically high gloss black plasti-dip. After cleaning the surface to be painted with autodip with some dish soap to remove all the car wax, it still did not adhere 100%, so I will have to re-do it, but it looks pretty good from 10 feet away... :/ I will have to wait a few days before it fully cures, then peel it all off and try again. To fix the bubbling issue I broke down and bought some expensive $19 pre-dip spray from dipyourcar.com that should do the trick...need to also order another can of autodip...also expensive at $36 shipped for 1 can :( but it is cheaper and looks just as good as having vinyl wrap installed ($200)... Plus it peels right off when I feel like taking it off. If anyone has any other tips for prepping the surface so that rubber based paint will apply without bubbles in it please let me know!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought all Trailhawks came with black roofs.
@tazzel It's not a trailhawk but latitude and OP want to do a Trailhawk black roof mod.

Nice from far, you really need to fix this bubble issue.
My jeep is a Latitude! Look at my latitude front bumper and wheels! I added the trailhawk hood decal and then I did the roof sides in gloss black autodip from www.autodip.com

I am going to have to peel it all off once it cures and then start over :(

·
Registered
236 Posts
My jeep is a Latitude! Look at my latitude front bumper and wheels! I added the trailhawk hood decal and then I did the roof sides in gloss black autodip from www.autodip.com

I am going to have to peel it all off once it cures and then start over :(
Keep us updated. They'll be many a Michelangelo attempting this.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about doing exactly this but with some 3M black vinyl. I haven't worked with vinyl much though, not sure how it would come out.
Keep us updated. They'll be many a Michelangelo attempting this.

I know a guy that does vinyl work and he quoted me $200, and $160 of that was labor, but if you do it yourself you will need squeegees and exacto blades and experience to get it done right, since cutting the vinyl to the exact size is going to be tricky around the roof rails. Which is why I decided to use gloss black rubber paint (autodip) and mask off the area, as that would be easier, less money, and less risky than trying to cut around everything without cutting into my roof rails or paint.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HTML:
Should of just bought the Trailhawk :p>:D:ReneBlueWave:
I would have! But you see I require a manual transmission, and adding a hood decal, and some black side roof painting is easier than doing a 6 speed swap and doesn't void my warranty... (on top of that, from what I've read, the 9-speed auto in the trailhawk is garbage) >:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
HTML:
I would have! But you see I require a manual transmission, and adding a hood decal, and some black side roof painting is easier than doing a 6 speed swap and doesn't void my warranty... (on top of that, from what I've read, the 9-speed auto in the trailhawk is garbage) >:D
Same here for me. I have my Manual, 4X4, MySky, Nav - Latitude coming at the end of the month. I want to add the hood decal, and black roof for sure.

Where did you get the hood decal? Amazon has one for 40 bucks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
the reason it does not stick to your roof is because of wax/grease/ dirt - even though u cleaned with dish soap your leaving a film on the surface which it will not stick to

after u clean and dry it , this time get a spray bottle of rubbing Alcohol --- spray it on the roof wipe it good and your done . it will remove all the grease , wax, and other junk left

do alot of light coats as well !!

i was going to do mine in carbon fiber, but im to lazy to remove the rack haha - i have all the vinyl & tools i need - i use to do it on the side , its just a pia with work getting crazy these days to do it anymore .
so now i use the vinyl for my derby cars or motorcycle junk lol

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same here for me. I have my Manual, 4X4, MySky, Nav - Latitude coming at the end of the month. I want to add the hood decal, and black roof for sure.

Where did you get the hood decal? Amazon has one for 40 bucks.
Sounds good man, best combo there is! About the hood decal - I got it on eBay for like $35. I looked at a bunch of them, as some knock-offs are not the right shape, so be careful when you choose the hood decal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.