Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crawled under the car today just to check out the underside. The front skid plate will have to come off to change the oil. There are 10 bolts that hold it on, and 5 more Torx screws that hold the edge of the bumper to the skid plate. After that, it looks to be straight forward.

The other trims will be much easier since they don't have the skid plate. As a bonus, I found a build sheet stuffed in between the skid plate and the oil pan. It was likely attached to the bumper before assembly. At the top of the build sheet is the word 'paraurti' ('bumper' in English) and all the usual build sheet codes for that section of the build.

The sheet was printed 28/01/2015, 04:27:16 (January 28, 2015, 4:30 am). Looks like my car was built on a Wednesday.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I crawled under the car today just to check out the underside. The front skid plate will have to come off to change the oil. There are 10 bolts that hold it on, and 5 more Torx screws that hold the edge of the bumper to the skid plate. After that, it looks to be straight forward.

Well, if that is true, it's a major design mistake--just the kind of "Easter Egg" that Jeep should have been avoiding.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Did you remove the skid pan? I’m asking because I want to know if the pan can be removed and reinstalled by oneself or is it a 2 man job? Maybe one man and a floor jack. I don’t think the pan is all that heavy but it maybe just large enough to make it awkward/difficult to hold in place with one hand, or maybe a knee or two, while trying to remove/replace bolts with the other.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The skid plate doesn't look like it is that heavy. I won't remove it until the first oil change. And it might be possible to get the filter off and snake it out, but it will make a mess on the skid plate that would be nearly impossible to completely clean off. It will be extremely difficult to get at the drain bolt without first removing the skid plate. There is no way I could get my torque wrench in there to torque the drain bolt.

I'm thinking to cut appropriate holes for the filter & drain bolt. And I agree it was a mistake. I'd bet the 2016 Trailhawks will come with a modified skid plate for easier access to change the oil.

·
Registered
194 Posts
How is the oil pan attached? I ask because my 2003 Liberty is going in to have it done and due to bolts being frozen and how the pan is placed my mechanic has decided it will be easier to keep the vehicle for 2 days and pull the engine to replace it :eek:. I keep consoling myself that the cost will only be 2.5 TH payments and it is worth it to keep the vehicle going for another year until I can get my Renegade :|.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't look closely at the oil pan, but the skid plate is attached with 10 bolts (~10mm). In addition, there are 5 more Torx screws that hold the lower bumper cover to the edge of the skid plate.

Removing the skid plate for every oil change will likely prevent any of the bolts from getting rust locked. I use a little grease on the threads of bolts like this to make it a breeze to remove them 5,000 miles down the road.

I plan to modify my skid plate by cutting access holes for the filter & drain plug so I don't have to remove the plate each time. I'll figure that out when I change the oil for the first time.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
How is the oil pan attached? I ask because my 2003 Liberty is going in to have it done and due to bolts being frozen and how the pan is placed my mechanic has decided it will be easier to keep the vehicle for 2 days and pull the engine to replace it :eek:. :|.
LOL. I'm facing that myself on my 2007 Liberty. Common issue. I'm just scraping and using rust converter to keep the paper mache oil pan together for as long as I can.

Good thought though to check the skid plate and oil pan.

Maybe I should check the placement of the gas tank too - ala Liberty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The local chain moss bros dealerships started offering lifetime free oil changes with a purchase of a vehicle. So I'm not worried about the skid plate and my oil changes.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first oil change is free, but I'm doing it myself. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and can take my time and properly torque each bolt properly. The kid who has to change oil in 20 cars during his shift may not take the time to ensure every bolt is properly torqued.

·
Registered
221 Posts
http://www.mossbroscjdrmorenovalley.com/lifetime.htm

Welcome to the new Lifetime Oil & Filter Change program! If you purchase a new or used vehicle from any Moss Bros. Auto Group dealership from now until December 31, 2015, you are automatically eligible for no cost lifetime oil & filter changes as long as you own your vehicle. And now, you are eligible for no cost oil & filter changes whether you buy from us or not! Just test drive any new vehicle from any of our eight dealerships and if you purchase a new vehicle of the same make elsewhere within 7 days, you are still eligible to receive the oil & filter changes.
How You Qualify:

• Buy any new or used vehicle from a Moss Bros. Auto Group dealership
  • Buy a new vehicle of the same make available at a Moss Bros. Auto Group dealership from a competitor within seven days of taking a test drive at Moss Bros.
  • Have all factory recommended maintenance performed at a Moss Bros. Auto Group dealership
Customer service is a top priority at Moss Bros. Auto Group and that's why we always remind you, "At Moss...You're the Boss!"(TM). We want our customers to have a great experience and offer you unique benefits for giving us a chance to earn your business. Vehicle performance and resale value are consistently mentioned by customers as important factors when choosing a vehicle, so we're here to help. With proper maintenance, your vehicle will last longer and maintain a higher resale value when it comes time to trade it in. Our Lifetime Oil & Filter Change will help you achieve these important goals and enjoy your vehicle as long as possible.
Again, we appreciate the opportunity to earn your business, and we hope you enjoy receiving a lifetime of free oil & filter changes. Remember, "At Moss...You're the Boss!"(TM)

Benefits

• No cost oil & filter changes for as long as the customer owns the vehicle.
  • Factory-trained technicians performing your vehicle maintenance
  • Longer vehicle life with proper maintenance
  • Help maintain highest vehicle resale value
  • Savings of hundreds of dollars over your lifetime of ownership
  • Discounted minor, intermediate, and major services because we pay for the oil & filter change

For more information about the Lifetime Oil & Filter Change program, check out our FAQ page, or feel free to contact us directly.

From now until December 31, 2015, purchase any vehicle from a Moss Bros. Auto Group ("M.B.A.G.") dealership, or after shopping at a M.B.A.G. dealership first, purchase a New vehicle from any competitor within 7 days for no cost oil/filter changes. Available as long as customer owns the vehicle and has all manufacturer recommended maintenance services performed at a M.B.A.G. dealership. See dealership for program details.

·
Registered
221 Posts
From talking with the sale rep, He said that the Renegade is equipped with a oil sensor. So when the oil goes bad the service light will come one. So it doesn't matter how many miles I drive or how long I have the car. The sensor would read out the oil and determine when the oil is dirty enough and then notify the me when it's time.

As long as the service light is on, I can take it into any Moss Bros dealership and they will change the oil for free. You can check the information in the previous post I pulled from their website.

The TrailHawk is the 3rd vehicle I've purchase from Moss Bros. They have multiple locations within an hour drive of each other so their inventory is huge. If they don't have the car you want in one lot, they might have it in the few near by dealerships.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From talking with the sale rep, He said that the Renegade is equipped with a oil sensor. So when the oil goes bad the service light will come one. So it doesn't matter how many miles I drive or how long I have the car. The sensor would read out the oil and determine when the oil is dirty enough and then notify the me when it's time.

As long as the service light is on, I can take it into any Moss Bros dealership and they will change the oil for free. You can check the information in the previous post I pulled from their website.

The TrailHawk is the 3rd vehicle I've purchase from Moss Bros. They have multiple locations within an hour drive of each other so their inventory is huge. If they don't have the car you want in one lot, they might have it in the few near by dealerships.
Where is your location?

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use a little grease on the threads of bolts like this to make it a breeze to remove them 5,000 miles down the road.
You may want to look into Anti-Seize Lube. Prevents the threads from becoming corroded and stuck but prevents bolts from loosening on their own like grease does. I've used it wherever needed for years.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have anti-seize paste and do use it occasionally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got my first oil change today and free from the dealer. I have 1250 miles on it and I know they (dealership) say 6000 miles but I wanted to get the shaving out (if any) from the break in period. It took about 45 mins and $62.00. Yep that's crazy,, I will be checking around for better pricing.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got my first oil change today and free from the dealer. I have 1250 miles on it and I know they (dealership) say 6000 miles but I wanted to get the shaving out (if any) from the break in period. It took about 45 mins and $62.00. Yep that's crazy,, I will be checking around for better pricing.
Wait; was it free or was it $62?

I too have a "free oil change" that came with my car, but I'm doing mine myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree blocking access to the Filter /drain plug is a design mistake. For a DIY that's just a clear message that a auto manufacturer does not want us messing with stuff that could be a potential revenue source for there dealers.
At least Nissan puts a separate filter/drain access plate in their Exterra's front skid plate. I also plan to do my first oil change myself and will cut access ports in my TK front skid plate. This plate is not part of the chassis structure, and the truck can still be driven without it, the plan is to remove it and send it out to be cut professionally.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.