Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the username suggests, there is a Jeep in my future. I'm currently in the market for a Renegade and I've come across some great deals on 2018 TH model. My dilemma is that I've always driven a stick so I don't know if I want to switch over. From what I've read the TH 2.4L 9 spd. AT handles well and some prefer it to the 1.4L MT. I am interested in getting into over-landing but I'm obviously going into it a novice. Is the TH THE way to go for over-landing? Does anyone have a Lat. MT who takes it off-road that would like to share their experience? Does anyone have any opinions on a 2" vs. 4" lift and which A/T tires better suit ea. lift height?
Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome aboard futurejeepowner! 🤠

I love my Latitude, but if I was doing it again, I'd hold out for a TrailHawk. And yes, for me, overlanding, "soft"roading, anything off pavement, I'd recommend the TH. You just don't know what you are going to run into out on the trail, and there may be no turning back, or help if you get stuck.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would also go with a TH for what you want to do. The TH will give you the benefit of skid plates and tow hooks which the Latitude does not have, better approach and departure angles because of the bumpers. The springs are stronger (which provide a small lift). The TH also has rock mode with low range and hill descent. I would personally go with a 2" lift and good tires like BF Goodrich KO2's although there are some other very good tires available. The automatic trans has the auto stick feature which will still allow you to manually shift between gears, not a true manual but it is not bad, I use it a lot. I don't know much about the manual transmission, it might be worth searching the forum for info about it. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. From what I've read so far it's easier to do a 2" lift so I was thinking I would go that route anyway. I'll check into the tires.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It is a DH, that will give you rock sliders which are good. It looks to be in good shape, the tires look A/T and appear to be in good shape. Purchased vs leased will usually have more mileage. My 2015 has 85k.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm partial to the Alpine White (it's what I have), but I honestly don't think there's a bad color in the Renegade pallet. Certainly nice to have the low miles on the white one, and it should have lots of warranty left on it.

TH is the only way to go! For around $500 you can add a factory hitch.
The first one has the aftermarket "under the bumper" hitch, which I'm not a fan of. If was adding one, I'd get a factory style unit. Much more nicely integrated, and no loss of departure angle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts