Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Philip M Jansen the Vehicle Line Executive overseeing renegade was asked at the NY Show if the Renegade had been across the Rubicon, no it has not.

Jansen revealed that Jeep ranks Trail Ratings 1-10, obviously 10 is the best. Renegade pulled down a 4, leading Jansen to say the Renegade would not be appropriate for the Rubicon. Jansen says that the Renegade is more focused on power than torque, not enough torque to climb boulders, or ground clearance, or articulation, but SHH...

http://www.allpar.com/history/auto-shows/NYC/2014.html

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This shouldn't disappoint many people, doesn't seem like the Renegade will be the type that hardcore off road guys will even consider buying.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Trailrated use to mean they ran the jeep through their Rubicon replicate at the jeep facility and it passed. This Trailrated 1-10 is a new thing Fiat is introducing. If they are truly usng a trailrated scale, they need to show where on the scale each trailrated vehicle falls.

Scott

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trailrated use to mean they ran the jeep through their Rubicon replicate at the jeep facility and it passed. This Trailrated 1-10 is a new thing Fiat is introducing. If they are truly usng a trailrated scale, they need to show where on the scale each trailrated vehicle falls.

Scott
in the allpar article they say the Wrangler is rated at an 8 or 9. So Renegade is half as capable as a Wrangler. I'd like to know where KL fell on the scale. Also in the link it was noted that that Renegade has not actually been through even the replica facility

Editor’s note: Pete Doll later confirmed that the Renegade had not been tested at the Chelsea Proving Ground’s replica of the Rubicon Trail circa 1998.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good info! 4 is not bad. Probably some good hills and rock in there. Sure not a run through the toughest parts of the Rubicon, but I bet they try it anyway in the future. Why not right? All beyond my plans for this little UTE, but good to know. BTW - if you follow the standard trail rating system anything above 4 requires rear locking diff. So that makes sense.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Scott
that is true

having different courses of different levels and having the cars pass through should be a way to determine the level of "trail rated" a Jeep can be

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
4 is indeed good, now I wonder if they would be able to push that up to a 5 in the future as they improve on the Renegade through its production cycle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
honestly, I don't care about what trails it can and can't do, since I won't do any of them. I'm interested in a trailhawk because it's a little taller and a little more rugged looking. If I wanted to go rock crawling, I'd buy a wrangler. I want a nice little SUV to get me to and from work that's great on gas with good 4 wheel drive for the snow, so Renegade is all I need :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
There are some videos out showing the Cherokee climbing rocks and I thought they were rather impressive. But, given the difference in the crawl ratio between it and the Renegade, we may have to just wait and see how it does. I am not a regular off-roader by any means (wish I had rock rails on the Libby when I did do it because it can scar, lol).

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Well I'd be curious to see what "Trail Rated" rating they'd give to the Cherokee. I've seen some videos of the 2013 Cherokee Trailhawk handling some decent off road action.

The biggest difference between the Cherokee and the Renegade is a locking rear differential from what I can tell (unless the suspension is drastically different).

The ground clearance on each is the same and the angles are slightly better on the Renegade. I am not sure that the Renegade could handle all of Moab, but i'm pretty sure it can handle everything I'd need it for (trails, small creeks, etc).

Excited to learn more.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'd be curious to see what "Trail Rated" rating they'd give to the Cherokee. I've seen some videos of the 2013 Cherokee Trailhawk handling some decent off road action.

The biggest difference between the Cherokee and the Renegade is a locking rear differential from what I can tell (unless the suspension is drastically different).

The ground clearance on each is the same and the angles are slightly better on the Renegade. I am not sure that the Renegade could handle all of Moab, but i'm pretty sure it can handle everything I'd need it for (trails, small creeks, etc).

Excited to learn more.
Renegade will not take MOAB, Jeep has come right out and said it, well not press release said it, but said it to the right people asking the right questions ;) (allpar mainly)

but we've discussed this here MANY times already, I don't think anyone is EXPECTING renegade to handle MOAB. The bashers come in and get hung up on that point exclusively, renegade can't do what my rust bucket Cherokee can, Renegade can't even do what my JK can do, NO ish ITS NOT NO JK otherwise it would be a JK...

I think most here are in the same boat, some small trails and creeks up around the family property/cottage/fishing hole and thats that. If we were expecting Wrangler we'd all go out and get one no? :D

welcome aboard by the way!

·
Registered
402 Posts
A quote from Jeep's chief engineer:

What we do is try to position each of our Jeeps both subjectively in the segment and then objectively, with very digital scores in terms of trail rating capability. The Renegade is designed to be solidly a 4 trail rating. Cherokee is a 6, Wrangler is a 10 and the Grand Cherokee is right around an 8.

That doesn't mean they're against 4 trails, but more an internal capability metric that defines what that capability is.

If you look at the segment, I would say a Juke probably wouldn't even get a 2 trail rating. A Hyundai Tucson? Maybe a 1.5. A Ford Escape? Maybe a 3 or maybe not.

I wouldn't have you take the Renegade down the Rubicon — that's not where this vehicle is focused — but it will do many parts of Moab and it will do very well in mud, snow and sand; those kinds of normal off-road events normal customers experience.

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
It ain't a Wrangler

IT AIN'T AND IN MANY WAYS THAT'S A GOOD THING.
In a Renegade, you have a fighting chance of surviving a crash, you won't get wet through a leaky top, you will be able to hear conversation at highway speeds, you will get 21st century mileage, and there will be fewer trips to the dentist to replace loose fillings. I will probably never go on the Rubicon Trail. If I do, I will rent a vehicle designed for off road for those few days.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts