Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang!

Seems the more and more i read about the Renegade it, all the reviewer suggest the trail-hawk is the one to go for. Any opinions on this? It is the one I am most likely going to buy a TH...but ---- It would be nice to hear other takes on this.

BTW, Here is the latest review i just read online: 2015 Renegade first drive

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I don't think it's a "must-buy", but it certainly is the direction I am leaning. I find it more pleasing on the eyes for one, and the skid plates and added capability also tick some boxes for me.

I guess the non-TrailHawk trims seem the same as the rest of its class to me personally. If I wasn't interested in doing a bit of off-road (nothing like Moab), I'd probably go for a MINI Cooper S Countryman All4 (because it appears to be a bit sportier than the rest of the bunch).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think it is the only trim that makes the Renegade different and unique from competition, that are, let`s admit it, on higher level of reputation in terms of durability and reliability.

Just like the Cherokee Trailhawk, that was the trim that makes Cherokee differentiate itself from massive competitive quality options, I think the Renegade TH is the one to go for if you care about a Jeep unique functionality and that is off-road capability...

If you don`t then I am sure equivalent models in other makes can be a legitimate option at least for peace of mind in terms of reliability

Just my opinion...

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
I first learned of the Renegade while looking for a new vehicle similar in specs to a truck I use to own. It was 1995 Toyota 2WD Pickup (5-speed manual) that I miss a whole **** of a lot. That thing was tiny and had barely more clearance than your average sedan, but that was enough to get me on some of the rougher forest roads to do some exploring.

When I started looking (in the US) for new, SMALLER vehicles, that have a decent amount of clearance (4WD a major bonus), I realized that these days there isn't a lot out there. Then I heard about the Renegade. An "econobox" with a relatively small footprint, pretty good MPG (supposedly), a decent amount of clearance (by my standards), optional 4wd, and starting trim within my budget (~ 20K USD). To say the least I was STOKED!

My problem is that I want the TH bumpers with the better approach angles put on a 4x4 sport edition so I can afford it. I actually don't mind the tiny engine and am thrilled by the thought of driving a manual again, but that lip on the Sport, Latitude, Limited bumpers just pisses me off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I first learned of the Renegade while looking for a new vehicle similar in specs to a truck I use to own. It was 1995 Toyota 2WD Pickup (5-speed manual) that I miss a whole **** of a lot. That thing was tiny and had barely more clearance than your average sedan, but that was enough to get me on some of the rougher forest roads to do some exploring.

When I started looking (in the US) for new, SMALLER vehicles, that have a decent amount of clearance (4WD a major bonus), I realized that these days there isn't a lot out there. Then I heard about the Renegade. An "econobox" with a relatively small footprint, pretty good MPG (supposedly), a decent amount of clearance (by my standards), optional 4wd, and starting trim within my budget (~ 20K USD). To say the least I was STOKED!

My problem is that I want the TH bumpers with the better approach angles put on a 4x4 sport edition so I can afford it. I actually don't mind the tiny engine and am thrilled by the thought of driving a manual again, but that lip on the Sport, Latitude, Limited bumpers just pisses me off.

I am with you on the lip of the non-TH versions. I just purchased an Opening Edition with the 140hp diesel and 6sp manual. Despite wanting a TH, the $6k difference in pricing for a similarly equipped version (Opening Edition vs. TH) was something I just could not justify when I looked at the underlying differences. The main differences were as follows:

• 170hp diesel
  • 9sp auto
  • skid plates
  • additional 0.8" of ground clearance
  • front bumper
  • rock mode

When I looked at the cost and the equipment of the OE vs the TH, I opted for the OE as I felt the majority of the TH differences could be overcome with aftermarket mods, plus I would get to keep a manual trans which was a primary driver.

Here is what I plan to do to upgrade my OE:
  • the 140hp diesel engine can be remapped boosting it to 164hp
  • skid plates can easily be added at a minimal cost
  • additional ground clearance can easily be achieved with spacers on top of the struts which appears to be how the stock TH is being lifted
  • the TH front bumper can be purchased from Jeep for a few hundred dollars

The only thing I end up giving up is the rock mode which I felt was a small give for what will probably be an incremental investment of $1k give or take, and a overall savings of roughly $5k.

So, whether you choose to simply replace the "lipped" front bumper with the TH version, or wait for other aftermarket options, I think your options will be plentiful as the Renegade gains popularity.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think most people are leaning toward the TH version because it most closely resembles what a Jeep is supposed to be and do.

Having said that, the spec sheets on this forum show that the Limited comes with far more standard features and will likely be similar in price. So it's a tough call.

Reactions: 7slot

·
Registered
49 Posts
TH yea or nay?

I probably--OK, almost certainly--don't need all the off road features of the TH, which makes me wonder:
1. Would a TH be a rougher rider in everyday use?

2. Would a TH be significantly more expensive to maintain given its specialized parts?

3. Would TH likely have greater or less value when selling?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it is the only trim that makes the Renegade different and unique from competition, that are, let`s admit it, on higher level of reputation in terms of durability and reliability.

If you don`t then I am sure equivalent models in other makes can be a legitimate option at least for peace of mind in terms of reliability

Just my opinion...

Cheers
you know what, this is an EXCELLENT point that I'm struggling with. Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat all have deplorable ratings according the the 2014 JD Power quality survey, with Fiat coming in dead last by a huge margin. That honestly i making me a little apprehensive about the Renegade, and has me considering the Mazda CX-3 as well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi gang!

Seems the more and more i read about the Renegade it, all the reviewer suggest the trail-hawk is the one to go for. Any opinions on this? It is the one I am most likely going to buy a TH...but ---- It would be nice to hear other takes on this.

You have to think about auto reviews as an exchange. The manufacturer provides you the journo with a paid trip and car to drive in order to immerse yourself in manufacturer doctrine. In exchange you sell as many cars for them as possible (which includes naturally recommending the highest trim pack with the costly trinkets. Its abundant throughout the profession...

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
Hi gang!

I think perspective is skewed at the moment. Right now, it's a non-existant product for this market. Those of us sitting around trying to get what information we can are, in most cases, some sort of vehicle enthusiast. The TH is the only one that makes a case for an enthusiast base, so that is what is talked about most.

Your latest review though says get the 1.4 and whine about not getting a diesel, so it hardly says get the trailhawk. Mostly, it could have been written entirely by skimming this forum and jalopnik threads on the renegade and citing the opinions and controversies.

hate on the 1941 badging (I kind of agree)
hate on the mud spaltter (I'm kind of neutral)
say it's ugly
say the 1.4 is a good engine
whine about diesel availability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Limited. I have a Wrangler I can use when I want to do some off-roading or something like that. I will be selling my 04 Envoy if I by a Renegade so I will need something I can take on trips and such.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's good to know that more folks are getting the TH version, that they want more than just a basic Jeep, they want something more out of it, something that's more of a true Jeep.

Seeing what production numbers are like for the TH version VS the others will be interesting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you know what, this is an EXCELLENT point that I'm struggling with. Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat all have deplorable ratings according the the 2014 JD Power quality survey, with Fiat coming in dead last by a huge margin. That honestly i making me a little apprehensive about the Renegade, and has me considering the Mazda CX-3 as well.
We are in the same boat ;)

The design is great, the style, the choice of colors etc, very modern yet Jeep spirited vehicle. Yet me too I am afraid of future issues in the Renegade as I am now experiencing with its older brother, the Patriot I own... And I only want the TH for my outdoors adventures so this is why i am looking at an economical off-roader and not any SUV or CUV... Oh yes and Subarus ;)

I am even now kind of secretly and cynically wishing the TH trim will be overpriced here in Canada so it can be a clear excuse / reason to remove it once and for all from my list... And go for a Subaru

·
Registered
81 Posts

The design is great, the style, the choice of colors etc, very modern yet Jeep spirited vehicle. Yet me too I am afraid of future issues in the Renegade as I am now experiencing with its older brother, the Patriot I own... And I only want the TH for my outdoors adventures so this is why i am looking at an economical off-roader and not any SUV or CUV... Oh yes and Subarus ;)

I am even now kind of secretly and cynically wishing the TH trim will be overpriced here in Canada so it can be a clear excuse / reason to remove it once and for all from my list... And go for a Subaru
Same boat indeed. When comparing the Renegade to the CX-3 I prefer everything the Renegade has to offer, except the reliability question marks....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Reliability will take a year or two before anybody knows how good or bad the Renegade is. I have a 2014 Dart with the 2.4 / 6 spd auto and after 11k mi. its perfect so I would feel good about the motor in the TH and the 9 spd auto appears good so far but the rest of the driveline is a ? for me. I would hope FCA puts together a durable driveline to build Jeeps reputation. I would want 4x4 but not sure I need the TH but that would depend on price.

·
Registered
194 Posts
At least for the short term we can see how they will do after the initial break in, but of course it will be a while before we really get a true sense for what it could be like in the long run.
Maybe a year?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
At least for the short term we can see how they will do after the initial break in, but of course it will be a while before we really get a true sense for what it could be like in the long run.
Maybe a year?
When you look at Consumer Reports reliability component items by year, engine, trans, electrical, etc. the general trend for many cars is it takes 2-4 years for the buggy areas to get worked out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well as you know if the parts, assembly and quality control is descent on this little one then one won't need to wait for more than a year to detect anything because in my opinion and experience with a Jeep, if the quality issues are there, they will pop-out since the early days of the car and will not necessarily improve in the future model years.

In my case the Patriot I own and bought new is a 2010 and it was the 3rd generation of Patriots if I am not mistaken, yet the issues we hear about in this model since its birth were not fixed in my 2010 model and I doubt they were in the models that came after.

My issues are mainly weak and cheap suspensions, that made all kind of annoying and scary noises since the first year... And I had to visit the service every year to fix the squeaks and noises and make it quiet... And I am due soon to get the suspension fixed again because it is really complaining loudly :)

Lucky me that I bought an extended warranty based on an advise in a review back then...

Moreover, since last summer, the engine started to vibrate slightly on IDLE (red light stops) and is getting more pronounced... The guy at the service was funny to tell me a couple of months ago : "it is normal for a 4 cyl. engine"... My answer was : "Oh sorry sir but how many cylinders were in it when I bought it? It was 4 and without vibrations"...

Oh my Patriot 2010 has about 95.000KM (60.000 Miles)...

Yet I have to admit that until now, no electronic or electrical issues (yet). Oh well, one tire censor went dead a year after I got it but nothing else failed in that field...

This is why I think waiting for a year or two to detect the quality of the car or for the second or third generation of Renegades is not necessary a good idea in the case of Jeep. If they managed to get descent quality parts, assembly and quality control in this model year, it should be fine, if not, then the strategy of money saving with cheap parts etc will be like the one in the Patriot/Compass family...

Of course there is no such hthing as trouble free cars out there even the most reliable give unpleasant surprises now and then... But there is a limit...

All in all, my advise is that if one wants absolutely a Renegade for X Y reason, I suggest an extended warranty because you might really find it useful. The worst case, you won't need it and then when it is time to sell it or trade your car, it will be a leverage for a good price (if still valid indeed)

Cheers!

·
Registered
234 Posts

If you have readily available service centres go Subaru, the only thing holding them back is their relative lack of size. Then again, that could be exactly what makes them so great...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.