Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Trailhawk vs limited

37K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  mistahhdj 
#1 ·
what model should I get? Is it really worth getting the trailhawk?

#4 ·
I too pondered this question.....

I live in the mountains and I loved my wrangler for the fact of the clearance, and I thought about the TH....for the crawl ratio, but I don't do any 'crawling' per say...I do more dirt roads/mud roads(in season) and deep snow roads....

So I weighed what I wanted, didn't want to 'order' a vehicle..and then found the Limited offered more and of what I really 'needed'.

So you need to weight what you need and want....I love my limited though! I smile when I walk up to it, drive it and sing at the top of my lungs with the stereo...LOL...

Either way, you'll still be smiling and happy! ;)

#5 ·
The answer depends on what you plan to do with it.
Lots of highway cruisin' and want chrome?... The Limited.
Offroading and don't want chrome?.... The TH.

#6 ·
It's not a difficult question to answer really. Ask yourself this:

What kind of off-roading will I be doing at the most?

1) unpaved roads where the surface is fairly even, without obstacles the size of small to medium dogs.

or...

2) unpaved roads where the surface can be uneven, deeply rutted, or possess obstacles the size of small to medium sized dogs.

If 1), then Limited. If 2) then TH.

Lastly, if you care at all about MPG, the Limited will yield slightly better MPG.

#7 ·
@;

I went with the Latitude, but that's me. It was the difference of about $45/month on my payments, but I had a number and wanted to stick with it.

I honestly can't tell if I'm missing anything. I guess you don't know you're missing something if you never had it to miss in the first place, right? :)

As it is, I love driving it, I love tinkering with it, and I love looking at it.

I feel my Renny-Lat is every bit as capable as I need it to be, and I'll continue adding to it as time goes by to expand it's abilities.

I say, if you have the opportunity to test drive each different model you're at an advantage to get a feel for each, and the capabilities they offer.

But don't buy the Trailhawk simply because it's been "trail rated" by Jeep. Back before the days of $15 "trail rated" body badges from Jeep, I had to earn each trail emblem with my '98 Cherokee myself. It's trail rating came with effort, dents, scratches, and upgrades.

I plan on doing the same thing with my Renny-Lat, one trail at a time, :)

#10 ·
Yup that's why I went with a latitude saved $50 bucks a month got a $250 lease on a commando green with black inside only option it has is the upgraded 18in black and polished rims which look unique compared to other models, don't care for leather and find the other features like duel zone climate and power driver useless in the limited

#8 ·
I bought the TH because I wanted the Low Range option - lot of snow in my area and I'm usually the one making the path on my way home from work so wanted the extra clearance and the low range option just in cast.

Like everyone has said it's personal preference and what you think you will need

#9 · (Edited)
Depends on what u use it for the trailhawk looks cool but if u don't use it on rock trails and are not into the outdoor adventure scene its a waste your losing decent features on the trailhawk that come standard on the limited such as heated seats and steering, leather seats, duel zone climate control, power driver seat, 40/20/40 rear seats, 18 inch rims, all the bright chrome touches such as the grill on the limited are a personal choice, I went with a commando green latitude/black cloth inside leased, since commando is being cut next year and I find the luxury features on the limited a waste and top of line for a lease is not worth it, got no options except the upgraded 18in black and polished alloys which in my opinion are the best looking rims for any model

#12 ·
My TH has the 40/20/40 split rear seats, dual climate zones, power driver seat with 4 way lumbar, remote start. I could have had heated seats with the addition of the cold weather package which I didn't have to have. I also have the upgraded speaker system w/ subwoofer. For where I drive, I wanted the additional ground clearance and the skid plates, and all of that trail rated stuff.

#13 ·
here in Germany we have completely different engine/gearbox options. The TH comes standart with 170hp 2.0Diesel and the 9Low Automatic transmition, the Limited has several engines and transmition options to be combined. My Limited is powered by the 2.0Diesel, but in the Limited it cranks out 140hp (same tourqe numbers as the TH: 260lbs/ft). Trans is just the same 9Low Automatic, but without the "Rock mode". It gets 36 mpg and goes very strong, for me it was the perfect fit.

#14 ·
Renegade Limited vs Trailhawk version.

I'm old school and new! Been 4x4 wheeling and two wheeling (fwd and rear wheel) for years. It all comes down to the "nut behind the wheel".
Depending on your serious or not serious need for extreme off-roading makes all the difference in the world what you choose.
I've taken my Scion xB and my old 4x4 Ramcharger over serious rutted trails, hills, snow and lava roads and have never been stuck nor undercarriage damage. Sure there is a big difference between both but its all how you handle it.

Positive comparing of the Trailhawk to the Limited model, TH has height (clearance 8.7"), M/S tires (not off-road tires), rock mode, curvy lower front, skid plates, descent-assist and low-range.

Negative toward Trailhawk is thousands more in price, no interior color choices (only black w/ little orange trim), poor to bad mpg's both on and off road, weights hundreds more and auto trans skips first on hwy due to trans/transfer case ratios setup (giving sluggish feel to hwy performance).

Renegade Limited model's price, mpg and interior will beat the Trailhawk!
Also most of TH's advantage off-road can be over come on the Limited for around 1,500 to 2,000 with after-market parts which will still come under the price of the Trailhawk.

Lighter body on Limited transforms into less engine and transmission strain, higher mpg on and off-road.
Proven Daystar lift-kit which lifts body (1.5") and allows for two size taller tires. Overall the Limited now has 9" clearance and slightly taller body than TH.
Add taller All-Terrain or even Off-Road tires (mpg goes down slightly but still better mpg than TH).
When off-road use auto-transmission's manual shift to stay in low gear and turn off anti-skid to make up for no low-range and decent assist.

When were talking 4x4 equipped Renegade models, were talking 4x4 capable! Unless your going extreme off-roading regularly with your Renegade and out to bang it up, roll or scratch it up! The Limited 4x4 is an excellent off-road and on-road model over the Trailhawk.

#16 ·
I ended up going with the Limited mainly due to the fact that I don't do much offroading, and I am not really planning on it, however I will be doing a LOT of highway miles and road trips in my Little Renny, and the "Luxury" features of the Limited come at a slightly lower price than the Trailhawk. I wanted the Trailhawk originally, due to the more rugged look, and depending on how much I want one down the line, I might buy another in a couple years, but I love my Limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.