Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Just want to check if this is the right trans fluid for our new/used 2018 renegade latitude with 9 speed Auto. Amazon says it's not the right fluid but atf-4 is. Who would know better than the folks on the renegade forum. By the way this forum is amazing. Spending hours going through it.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi folks. Just want to check if this is the right trans fluid for our new/used 2018 renegade latitude with 9 speed Auto. Amazon says it's not the right fluid but atf-4 is. Who would know better than the folks on the renegade forum. By the way this forum is amazing. Spending hours going through it.
The "8&9 SPEED ATF" is the correct fluid for the 9 speed.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The "8&9 SPEED ATF" is the correct fluid for the 9 speed.
I just wanted to confirm that. Assuming aelittleant's transmission is the same 948TE 9-speed as in my 2021 Trailhawk, here's what my Owner's Manual shows:
Rectangle Font Number Circle Paper product

The only question I had was what does the "ZF" mean. That's apparently the developer of the transmission -- ZF Friedrichshafen AG.
Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle Symbol

Even though my transmission was made in the U.S....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marek K I have the broadcast window sheet that came with the vehicle and it states Transmission 9 Speed 948TE Automatic but does not say ZF. Owners manual says use only ZF 8 and 9 speed transmission fluid only.

Reason I posted the picture is I trust the folks here to know more and who have used this fluid in there transmission. Just wanted to cover my backside. We only had it for a week. 🙂

Also did auto repair for 30 years started in the early 70's when the driver told the car what to do. Now the cars tell us what to do. Sometimes they just do what they want🤔

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
does not say ZF. Owners manual says use only ZF 8 and 9 speed transmission fluid only.
Yeah, I know what you mean about awanting to be 100% sure. Me too. That's why I'm so anal about oil and coolant specifications.

I'm like 99.9% sure that the stuff you're looking at is the right stuff.

First, according to what I see, ZF isn't a specification as such. It's the company that developed the transmission (so maybe sort of a specification).

Second, as you can see above, my 2021 Owner's Manual doesn't mention "948TE" as part of the fluid specification. That, obviously, is the designation of the transmission itself.

So I'm maybe 99.99% sure. :)

You could call a Jeep parts department; they should be able to tell you.

By the way, why are you looking at changing your fluid at this point? It's supposedly a "lifetime" fluid; there not even any normal way of checking the level. To me, that would mean change it at about 100,000 miles -- which your 2018 should not be anywhere near...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean about awanting to be 100% sure. Me too. That's why I'm so anal about oil and coolant specifications.

I'm like 99.9% sure that the stuff you're looking at is the right stuff.

First, according to what I see, ZF isn't a specification as such. It's the company that developed the transmission (so maybe sort of a specification).

Second, as you can see above, my 2021 Owner's Manual doesn't mention "948TE" as part of the fluid specification. That, obviously, is the designation of the transmission itself.

So I'm maybe 99.99% sure. :)

You could call a Jeep parts department; they should be able to tell you.

By the way, why are you looking at changing your fluid at this point? It's supposedly a "lifetime" fluid; there not even any normal way of checking the level. To me, that would mean change it at about 100,000 miles -- which your 2018 should not be anywhere near...
Thank you Marek for your input. For me I have a hard time believing in lifetime" fluid. If trans goes out at 90,000 miles that would be it's lifetime. Like you I am completely anal about my vehicle's.

I look at it this way fluid's are cheap compared to engine and transmission. Living in north east Vermont and dealing with rust is my number obsession.

If I see rust I have to go see a psychiatrist just to get my head straight. 🙄

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup. Not to put too-fine a point on it, but here's the view just now out our back door:
View attachment 2396355351

This is why we retired here a couple years ago and bought the Trailhawk...
Beautiful view. We went through Loveland pass and I darn near wet myself that is one beautiful and scary ride. Then we heard things exploding in the vehicle and 3 bags of potato chips went off. Chips all over the place. 🙄

1 - 12 of 12 Posts