Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The "8&9 SPEED ATF" is the correct fluid for the 9 speed.
I just wanted to confirm that. Assuming aelittleant's transmission is the same 948TE 9-speed as in my 2021 Trailhawk, here's what my Owner's Manual shows:
Rectangle Font Number Circle Paper product

The only question I had was what does the "ZF" mean. That's apparently the developer of the transmission -- ZF Friedrichshafen AG.
Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle Symbol

Even though my transmission was made in the U.S....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
does not say ZF. Owners manual says use only ZF 8 and 9 speed transmission fluid only.
Yeah, I know what you mean about awanting to be 100% sure. Me too. That's why I'm so anal about oil and coolant specifications.

I'm like 99.9% sure that the stuff you're looking at is the right stuff.

First, according to what I see, ZF isn't a specification as such. It's the company that developed the transmission (so maybe sort of a specification).

Second, as you can see above, my 2021 Owner's Manual doesn't mention "948TE" as part of the fluid specification. That, obviously, is the designation of the transmission itself.

So I'm maybe 99.99% sure. :)

You could call a Jeep parts department; they should be able to tell you.

By the way, why are you looking at changing your fluid at this point? It's supposedly a "lifetime" fluid; there not even any normal way of checking the level. To me, that would mean change it at about 100,000 miles -- which your 2018 should not be anywhere near...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts