Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey trailhawk owners, it's time for a drain. I need help finding out how many quarts to buy? I'm leaning towards get the amsoil signature series. I have an automatic transmission is and gears three-five stick. At times it feels like I'm getting rear ended. I'm just getting to 70thousand miles.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I haven't checked to see if there's a drain plug, but there's no dipstick.
Sad face.
I, too, ain't too happy about the lack of a dipstick. A dipstick not only let's you check the level of your oil, but also the condition. You can look and smell the oil and decide if it needs changing or if your tranny has pending issues. You can see if there is water getting into your tranny by the color of the oil.

But now with today's "disposable" society, it's sealed like a Bic lighter. And just like a Bic, we are expected to use it until it breaks then throw it out and buy a new tranny.

No need for anyone to post that most modern trannys are sealed. So what ? A sealed tranny is NOT a good idea no matter the brand/model. Well, it is a good idea to the dealers and mechanics that install new tranny's, not a good idea to owners that like to maintain their own vehicles.

I can only assume my tranny oil is in good condition. I also assumed the modern 2.4L engine wouldn't use oil between changes. We all know how that turned out...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I, too, ain't too happy about the lack of a dipstick. A dipstick not only let's you check the level of your oil, but also the condition.
We also have a '12 Liberty in the family.
My son reported some ungood behavior, I drove it, definitely transmission issue.
Read online about how you can use the oil dipstick, etc.
Did that; burnt fluid, low level.
Was still under warranty, so took it to the dealer.
Told the "service" (ha!) manager my conclusion, including how I used the oil dipstick.
He told me I don't know anything about cars, etc etc.
Condescending jerk.
Anyway, get a call later that day; transmission is being replaced.
About 65K miles, IIRC.

Good thing there's no dipstick.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey trailhawk owners, it's time for a drain. I need help finding out how many quarts to buy? I'm leaning towards get the amsoil signature series. I have an automatic transmission is and gears three-five stick. At times it feels like I'm getting rear ended. I'm just getting to 70thousand miles.

Amsoil says to use the mopar fluid if you read the fine print at their website

Automatic Transmission,948TE......SL076 [1]
Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (ATLQT)
OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTLQT)

[1] Use only MOPAR ZF 8 & 9 speed ATF P/N 68218925AA
Transmission Fluid or equivalent. Previously this fluids
P/N was 68157995AB and 68157995AA. Failure to use the
correct fluid may affect the function or performance of
your transmission.

·
Registered
340 Posts
We also have a '12 Liberty in the family.
My son reported some ungood behavior, I drove it, definitely transmission issue.
Read online about how you can use the oil dipstick, etc.
Did that; burnt fluid, low level.
Was still under warranty, so took it to the dealer.
Told the "service" (ha!) manager my conclusion, including how I used the oil dipstick.
He told me I don't know anything about cars, etc etc.
Condescending jerk.
Anyway, get a call later that day; transmission is being replaced.
About 65K miles, IIRC.

Good thing there's no dipstick.

So your saying the liberty uses the same tranny as the renegade?

·
Registered
121 Posts
We have the same issue on the 2015 challenger and the 2015 ram pickup. It was on the ram forum I read about using the oil dipstick which works well for both. The 2005 ram does have the tranny dipstick, and after about 80,000 miles the stick was proof it was time for a change. Now at 132,000 miles, fluid is still like new. Much more peace of mind with the tranny dipstick!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here's an article about the transmission and how to check the fluids.

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/948te-checking-fluid-levels/
With the help of this article (thanks LaRock) I found what looks like the correct tool on Amazon:
From the image the scale is the same as the one the article describes.
I assume an accurate transmission temperature could be measured with a thermocouple inserted in the same hole. Probably better than a scan tool to get an accurate temperature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry I'm new here but for a renegade 2.4 liter engine and ZF 10 speed transmission you have to go in behind the drivers front wheel (remove it). There is a specialty tool made to check the fluid level from the top plug on top of the transmission. it is very hard to get to and it is very hard to remove and add transmission fluid. I had to rig a hand syphon squeeze pump and a plastic tube that would stretch into where you need to access it. I will say this, the fuid at 59,000 miles for me was almost burned completely up and it was like very dark water. it will not last much longer than this in my opinion but I would pay 200 and have someone do it for you it will cost 80 or more dollars for tools and fluid anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts