Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2016 Renegade Limited with 17,000 miles on it. I purchased the ATP 2.0 lift on black Friday and have had it sitting next to my desk until 3 days ago. I decided to finally get it installed along with some 235/60R/18's. All work was performed at my local Jeep dealer also. After leaving I noticed a noise that I can only describe as a chatter coming from the transmission. It happens once the trans temp is above 100º and my speed is above 30 mph or so. It happens under acceleration and deceleration but goes away if I put it in neutral. I've tried a few things to see if I can make it go away other than putting in in neutral such as enabling 4wd and turning tcs on and off. Just curious if anyone around here has heard of this before.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds like something didn't get torqued up properly. Did you check to make sure the center coupler bracket was tightened up after the spacers for it where installed (ATP drops everything in the rear- exhaust bracket, rear sub, center coupler bracket, etc)?
If it's doing it under load (both acceleration and deceleration), than it's something moving from driveline torque changes. The center coupler bracket would be the first place I'd check, if it were me.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
Bring it back to the place that did the lift. Have them fix it. No problem before the lift so it is something they did or did wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bring it back to the place that did the lift. Have them fix it. No problem before the lift so it is something they did or did wrong.
Already did that... they went through and checked it out the next day. They made an appointment that is 2 weeks out to look at it further as they determined it had nothing to do with the install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like something didn't get torqued up properly. Did you check to make sure the center coupler bracket was tightened up after the spacers for it where installed (ATP drops everything in the rear- exhaust bracket, rear sub, center coupler bracket, etc)?
If it's doing it under load (both acceleration and deceleration), than it's something moving from driveline torque changes. The center coupler bracket would be the first place I'd check, if it were me.
I'll take a look in the morning and double check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything looks good there, double checked it this morning.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is another reason I'm not fond of the lift kits that drop the rear sub via spacers. They change many more points than a "just spring spacer" kit does. A "Just spring spacer" kit changes the angles on the (already changing) CV joints, where as the kits that use drop spacers for the mid coupling, rear sub, exhaust (all required because of dropping the rear sub) affect multiple locations (transmission/transfer case output shaft, different angle on the center coupling, and slight different angle on the rear diff joint. NONE of which were ever meant to move or be altered).
I'd rather use a "just spacer" kit and replace CV's once in awhile (they can last a VERY long time) than to deal with the ramifications of altering every thing else in the driveline front the front all the way to the rear. It adds way too much complexity to it).

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I have a 2016 Renegade Limited with 17,000 miles on it. I purchased the ATP 2.0 lift on black Friday and have had it sitting next to my desk until 3 days ago. I decided to finally get it installed along with some 235/60R/18's. All work was performed at my local Jeep dealer also. After leaving I noticed a noise that I can only describe as a chatter coming from the transmission. It happens once the trans temp is above 100º and my speed is above 30 mph or so. It happens under acceleration and deceleration but goes away if I put it in neutral. I've tried a few things to see if I can make it go away other than putting in in neutral such as enabling 4wd and turning tcs on and off. Just curious if anyone around here has heard of this before.

Thanks,
Joe
I had the same issues with Avid 2.5" lift right after installation.
I had the shop look over it 4 times and we still couldn't figure it out...i did an unconventional approach since it appeared the front cv axle angle seemed too much. The drivers side cv axle had more travel than should have when we had it in drive on the lift. I replaced this one only and the old one did seem to be slightly bent, i also swapped the front 2.5" strut spacers for 1.5". Left the rear with the 2.5". We went thru and realigned all the tires again and checked for anthing loose since the ticking sound was consistent during acceleration but did not speed up n slow down. put some spacer fiberglass mat around the exhaust under the rear diff skid plate, bent the muffler bracket a bit to keep it off the back bumper, and made sure the heat shield wasn't touching anything...and it went away.
And yes my obsessiveness wants to put the 2.5" strut spacers back on to see what happens...but not right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same exact problem, it’s driving me nuts. Had the Daystar lift with the Eibach lift springs on. The ticking noise seems consistent during acceleration & deceleration, when I put it in neutral the noise goes away instantly. Been to the shop several times can’t seem to locate the issue. Asking if anyone can please share some light on it, thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

Time for you to: A, have the shop remove it and give you a refund or B, go to a different shop to have them fix the first shops mess up.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks,
Joe
I had the same problem. Were you able to find out what is causing the issue?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts