Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Transmission Issues

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  damdestruction 
#1 ·
2016 Renegade Trailhawk w/ 96k miles

Ive started to have some issues with the car that seem transmission related and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these:
1) most notably, the car has suddenly started to shudder badly when I shift into reverse after start up. Its not as bad after its warmed up and Ive driven around but its still noticeable. This just started happening one day after we turned the car on.
2) starting around 60k miles the car started making high pitched whines when at higher RPMs and typically while going up hill. Its most noticeable on an incline and when a shift happens. This has started to get worse and im hearing it moreso with around town driving. It getting worse correlates to the time on the reverse shudder issue too.

Weve dealt with the standard occasional frustrations that people report with this transmission (shift lag, hard shifts, etc) but these new symptoms make me feel worried about driving the car for too long with out getting it check out. Also read that the steering fluid being low could cause the whine??

Finally, curious to know what people with 2016 TH are getting for MPG. I put in a K&N filter that gouged our MPG and dropped it down to 19 at one point. I switched back to a lighter weight filter and its back up to 21.9 which is about where weve always been but that seems low. It frustrates me how often I have to fill up this little tank!

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
27?! Thats insane. I think the highest weve ever had was about 23.5 and that was probably for the first 30k we owned the vehicle. Weve put on slightly larger tires and have a small thule cargo box on from time to time but 27mpg is a biiig difference than what im getting. Thanks

#5 ·

suddenly started to shudder badly when I shift into reverse after start up... Shudder; time to visit the dealer. Might be time for a fluid change (I know, the transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle. That just means, when it fails, it is time for a new transmission). It might sound mean, but the honest answer is, automatic transmissions are only designed to live for around 100k miles. If you get more then that Great, if you are close to that, it just might be time.

I change my transmission fluid every 30K just to try and get more life out of my automatic transmission.

Also read that the steering fluid being low could cause the whine?? We don't have power steering fluid, we have Electronic Power Steering Assist.

K&N filter that gouged our MPG and dropped it down to 19 at one point... The K&N won't usually hurt MPG, unless they are over oiled. usually.

#7 ·

Ive started to have some issues with the car that seem transmission related and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these:
1) most notably, the car has suddenly started to shudder badly when I shift into reverse after start up. Its not as bad after its warmed up and Ive driven around but its still noticeable. This just started happening one day after we turned the car on.
2) starting around 60k miles the car started making high pitched whines when at higher RPMs and typically while going up hill. Its most noticeable on an incline and when a shift happens. This has started to get worse and im hearing it moreso with around town driving. It getting worse correlates to the time on the reverse shudder issue too.

Weve dealt with the standard occasional frustrations that people report with this transmission (shift lag, hard shifts, etc) but these new symptoms make me feel worried about driving the car for too long with out getting it check out. Also read that the steering fluid being low could cause the whine??

Finally, curious to know what people with 2016 TH are getting for MPG. I put in a K&N filter that gouged our MPG and dropped it down to 19 at one point. I switched back to a lighter weight filter and its back up to 21.9 which is about where weve always been but that seems low. It frustrates me how often I have to fill up this little tank!

Thanks in advance.
Hi Runawayhound,
We're sorry to learn about your transmission concern. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed, feel free to reach out to us via PM.
Alex
JeepCares

#9 ·
UPDATE: Turns out it was my motor mounts. I believe it was the passenger side and the transmission mount (underneath). That took care of the shudder and clunky shifting. Surprisingly, the high pitched whine has been minimized too. Car drives like new again. Wasn't cheap though, paid just over $900. $300 parts, $560 in labor and of course $35 in mystery "shop supplies". Besides the recalled radiator fan, replacement ignition coils and plugs that I was able to do my self and new front brakes this has been the only major work needed on the car in nearly 100K. Not bad and fingers crossed going into the future! Hope this update helps someone else out there.

#16 ·

Thanks in advance.
I have noticed the same thing. As with yourself, I have dealt with some hard shifting from time to time and thought that maybe I started moving to quickly when it would about die going from reverse to drive. However, the more I read hear the more concerned i am about how much this issues is going to now cost.

#18 ·
I have a 2020 Renny that I have had problems with since I drove it off the lot. First, the Uconnect wouldn't connect with my phone, finally did, but then the display screen would go black, radio on, car won't turn off, while driving down the freeway at 75 at night, every light in the car went black, and steering locked up. After multiple trips to the dealer they still have yet to fix anything on her. Now I have service engine, service transmission, service hill assist, AWD not available, ABS needs service, service parking break. I can not even remember all the warnings, Now my dealership is telling me that the abs module needs to be replaced. I have been so disappointed and angry with this jeep, I am ready to be rid of it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.