Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in Oct 2015. Noticed that over time, the 9-speed transmission was clunking when put in reverse (sometimes loud & jerking enough that it felt as if engine dropped); also when daily driving noticed a "drag", as if transmission was not fully engaging or was "skipping" when changing gears. Finally took into dealer for first oil change (@ 6,900 miles) and explained transmission concerns to dealer. Dealer put through diagnostics and verified clunk and whine noise intermittent from reverse to drive; also verified noise coming from transmission. Dealer confirmed w/Jeep Corp that transmission needed to be replaced.

Had to wait a couple of weeks for transmission to arrive. Dealer had my Trailhawk for about 10 days, as we did not feel comfortable driving (dealer provided a nice loaner the entire time).

New 9-speed transmission is now installed (heard installation was a bit of a challenge due to small/packed engine compartment). Just picked up my Trailhawk this morning and so far, running like a champ!

(Note: last Jeep I had was a ’94 Cherokee Sport that had the engine replaced during the first year….ran like a champ for the next 15 + yrs until I sold it w/over 100,000 miles.)

Hoping my long awaited “return” to Jeep will bring good fortune…again! My current dealership is a stand-up one, so I am gonna be positive and chalk up as another life experience/journey.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Glad it's all back to splendid operation. Makes me wonder about that often pinged "Noise around 30 MPH" thread. From replacing rear differentials to rear differential modules to now replacing an entire transmission unit. Experts on this out there care to comment?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update: Since new tranny install we've been diving our Renegade Trailhawk daily and so far no clunking or no "dragging" at all...which included a 24-hour 150 mile round trip. The TH handled quite well entire trip. Question why the original tranny issues in the first place on a brand new TH...resulting in a new tranny install??? I've heard from a friend that has a Wrangler and he too needed new tranny after 2 yrs or so. Makes me wonder about investing in extended warranty (which I had on my '94 Cherokee Sport and paid off when engine mounts broke twice).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.