Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2015 trailhawk with 9000 miles on it. It's the 4 cylinder 9 speed. It is currently at the dealer for the 4th or 5th time because it won't automatically shift into 8th or 9th. The engines runs at 3300 rpms at 80 mph on the highway, straight, no traffic, steady speed. When you manually shift it to 8th, the rpms drop to 2200-2500. If you speed up it shifts back to 7th and stays there til u manually shift it. We have also had it shift into 8th or 9th in the city running at 45 mph.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I found if you let off the gas and then accelerate slightly, it "slides" into the higher gear. Strange I know but I have also had problems with it "bogging" down when you take your foot off the gas then reapply gas. I also have a 2015 Cherokee V6 with the same transmission and it does not shift like this. I will be very surprised if the dealer finds "anything" wrong with your car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My FWD latitude usually turns at around 1700 or 1800 rpm, if I'm running at 65 it is usually in 8th. Just a little
slower it is in 7th still at around 1700 rpm. When I get above 70 mph it will usually shift in to 9th. Yours seems
to be turning at too many rpm or mine is slow.

I have tried shifting into 9th manually at lower speed and it wouldn't go. I just assumed it's not going into 9th
because the rpm would be too low. I need to play around with it some more. I don't get on the interstate very
often though.

Clifton

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
That sounds wrong. How long have you had it? What is the build date?
Has it had any software updates?
I would take it to a dealer to have it checked out.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
What did the dealership have to say about this, Kellyh? There is a TSB that may be related to your concern, but it doesn't specifically address shifting into 8th.

TSB 21-030-15 REV. A

SUBJECT:
Flash: Transmission Shift And Drivability Enhancements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with the latest available software.

MODELS:
2015 (BU) Jeep Renegade

NOTE: **This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.4L Engine (Sales Code ED6) and 948TE transmission (Sales Code DFH).**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
**In addition to correcting the DTCs listed below this software update includes the following enhancements.**

• **Garage Shift Improvements (Shifting from Park or Neutral to Drive or Reverse).**
• **1-2 Shift Quality Improvements.**
• **Improved Engine Performance under certain operating conditions (High Altitude,
High Ambient Temperatures and High Humidity).**
• **Hill Shift Pattern Optimization.**
• **Improved Redline Shift Performance.**
• **Improved Upshifts, Downshifts, Coast Down Shifts and Tip Shifts.**

A small number of customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find one or both of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
• P0711 - Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor A Circuit Range-Performance.
• P1DAD - Input Shaft-Output Shaft Direction Correlation.
• P1CC9 - Unable to Engage Gear.
• P1D98 - Incorrect Gear Ratio Clutch B or D Defective.
• U1424 - Implausible Engine Torque Signal Received.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vehicle is currently sitting in the shop at the dealership for the 5th time. Been there done that, hence why I am here. They have done software updates, but found nothing else wrong.

I have already filed an official request with Chrysler. The dealership agrees with us that its not right (running at 3300 RPMs in 7th at 80 MPH), but Chrysler is saying its fine. My next step is contact a Lemon Law lawyer. At this point I think this is the only way to get Chrysler to agree something isn't right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is sitting in the shop with the same issue and they haven't figure it out... 2015 Trailhawk 4 cylinder 9 speed, 7400 miles. It started happening right after they updated the software while it was in the shop for the first oil change last week. Coincidence? Bad software? What happened with yours Kellyh?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Mine is sitting in the shop with the same issue and they haven't figure it out... 2015 Trailhawk 4 cylinder 9 speed, 7400 miles. It started happening right after they updated the software while it was in the shop for the first oil change last week. Coincidence? Bad software? What happened with yours Kellyh?
The phase in bold type above makes me reluctant to bring my car in to the dealer since it has been running flawlessly since I got it in April. Hopefully I won't need to bring it in for anything (I do my own oil changes).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've loved mine since I got it in August, it was running flawlessly as well! The software must be the problem... I need my baby back!!! The crappy minivan they gave me to drive is testing my patience. Ahh!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The phase in bold type above makes me reluctant to bring my car in to the dealer since it has been running flawlessly since I got it in April. Hopefully I won't need to bring it in for anything (I do my own oil changes).
Does your warranty not depend on you having the vehicle serviced?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Disappointed…

I just picked up my Trailhawk... the dealer agrees that there is an issue with the software, but Chrysler says it's fine and there is nothing they can do. I asked if there was any way they could remove the updates they did last week and they said no, "it is what it is according to Chrysler". I'll have to call and complain... if they could take those updates away - I'd be a happy camper again.

I can't seem to find anyone else having issues with software updates recently. My build date was 4/15, and I purchased it in 8/15, and last week was the first time in for an oil change. I assume that the software updates they did last week were new since August... Anyone?

·
Registered
580 Posts
In the US the vehicle may be serviced by anyone, including the owner. If the owner has a warranty claim, he may have to provide evidence that required maintenance was performed. For example, showing a receipt for 6 quarts of oil and an oil filter is sufficient proof that and oil change was done. Warranty denial is addressed by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This act, for example, also states that no manufacture may force their own fluids (oil, coolant etc) as exclusive option on the consumer if equivalent products that meet the required specs are available.

I have never been denied a warranty claim based on having performed vehicle maintenance myself. I actually have never been asked to show proof of having performed any maintenance, and I am a total DIYer.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
An oil change is all that is typically needed for service these days for years and I do that myself. I will check the other items as specified in the manual too but most fluids don't need to be changed for years. I thoroughly go over the car before I bring it in for PA safety inspection so I know everything mechanical will pass in advance.

I cringe when I think of new software being loaded in my car. It has worked quite well since I drove it home in early April and I would rather not have the dealer mess with it. I will certainly change my mind if something goes wrong with the car. And if new software is required to fix it, then I'm okay with that. But I will wait until there is a problem and then they will fix it under warranty.

Yeah, I called it a car. Get over it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just curious does it do this all the time, or just sometimes?

I took a roadtrip, and noticed somewhat similar issues, granted I was driving 77 through WV & Virginia mountains and just assumed the hills were causing it. I switched to manual shifting for the hills, and once it was flattish again, I let it go back to auto but still seemed to get hung up in 7th sometimes.

Normal around home flat highway driving, I don't pay too much attention, but I think it shifts into 8th. I may start paying more attention.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is doing it all the time on flat highway driving, and only started after the software updates. If I manually switch it to 8th then put it back to auto it goes back to 7th an revs back up. I took it out on the highway today and took it up to 85 in auto and it was still in 7th running around 3500 rpms.. I wonder what that is going to do to my gas mileage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
... not sure if this the right thread to ask this or even if the question is valid, but does the drive mode make a difference with the transmission function issues being discussed. I would imagine people are selecting the AUTO Mode for highway driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finally touched base with my Chrysler case manager... they are asking me to take it to another dealer for a second opinion. She said that the software updates cannot be undone, and there isn't a "fix" for the issue I'm experiencing. On another note... after a long road trip last weekend, when it gets stuck in 7th, if I flip to manual mode then right back to auto, it will shift into 8th, and if done again, will shift into 9th. However, if it is stuck in 7th and I manually shift to 8th gear, I can put the gas pedal to the floor and nothing happens. Fingers crossed they admit there is a problem and fix it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wifes trailhawk does this on the interstate only. I'm assuming that the lil engine doesn't have enough hp to move that bulk efficiently at high speeds in 8th or 9th.

It's also more exaggerated if used with cruise control.. i.e.. slowing for a semi in the fast land and then choosing resume.

Look at your MPG though.... When it is in 7th at around 80 Ill get 22 23 mpg and if I manually shift to 9th.. the mpg drops. There is barely any difference in 7th and 8th gear mpg at that speed.

I manually shift it from 7th to 8th casue I dont like running high rpms. I was always told that high RPMS are what hurt engines.

I was shocked to see the mpg go down when going into 9th... which leads me to believe that the engine is a lil weak for all the gear it has.

When doing highway speeds.. around 60 62.. it will use 8th and 9th.

I'ts definatley not an autobahn burner.. but for a light offroad country getaround... its perfect.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My wifes trailhawk does this on the interstate only. I'm assuming that the lil engine doesn't have enough hp to move that bulk efficiently at high speeds in 8th or 9th.

It's also more exaggerated if used with cruise control.. i.e.. slowing for a semi in the fast land and then choosing resume.

Look at your MPG though.... When it is in 7th at around 80 Ill get 22 23 mpg and if I manually shift to 9th.. the mpg drops. There is barely any difference in 7th and 8th gear mpg at that speed.

I manually shift it from 7th to 8th casue I dont like running high rpms. I was always told that high RPMS are what hurt engines.

I was shocked to see the mpg go down when going into 9th... which leads me to believe that the engine is a lil weak for all the gear it has.

When doing highway speeds.. around 60 62.. it will use 8th and 9th.

I'ts definatley not an autobahn burner.. but for a light offroad country getaround... its perfect.
If you are shifting up and milage gets worse, you are actually lugging the engine, because the engine does not have sufficient power in this particular gear at that speed. This is really bad for bearing wear, because you are producing a high load on the bearings, which may lead to loss of hydrodynamic librication. High RPM in and in itself are not causing increased wear, presuming sufficient lubrication. At high RPM, bearing load is low. I redline my engine every day repeatedly (My Audi tops out at 65 mph in 2nd gear). Keeps the valves clean. ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts