Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I look at the mpg to tell is its working efficiently.

Since it was staying in 7th and not shifting into 8th and the mgp were about the same.. I don't think its a TCU programming issue.. Its working as expected.

I'm just going to let the computer do the shifting and not worry about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2015 trailhawk with 9000 miles on it. It's the 4 cylinder 9 speed. It is currently at the dealer for the 4th or 5th time because it won't automatically shift into 8th or 9th. The engines runs at 3300 rpms at 80 mph on the highway, straight, no traffic, steady speed. When you manually shift it to 8th, the rpms drop to 2200-2500. If you speed up it shifts back to 7th and stays there til u manually shift it. We have also had it shift into 8th or 9th in the city running at 45 mph.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
i have a 2015 1.4 170hp 9speed auto same problem won't shift to 8/9th in auto dealer says thats how they work ???? i think they lie

·
Registered
10 Posts
My TH stays in 7th when on the highway traveling 70-80MPH. It took me a long time to get use to it, but like the dealer says it seems to be normal for these cars. I still want to put it in 8th or 9th manually but you can watch the MPG drop when you do. It has been said already, these cars don't have enough power to go into 8th/9th at that speed.

Around 65MPH no problem going into 8th/9th. Keep up on maintenance and these engines will have no problem running 3000+ RPM. They are made for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, my TH does the same thing. Sometimes annoying but I've gotten used to it (well, kind of).
I've quit complaining and gotten used to it, (for the moment anyway). If I just flip to manual and right back to automatic on the highway, it shifts and it makes me happy. I had a long conversation with a tech at a local dealer, (one I trust very much!) and he insisted they all do this and only a few of us are complaining about it. He also said that they had similar issues with the Cherokees which they never really got solid answer for why they were doing it. They thought it had something to do with the transmission temp, once the weather warmed up here in Michigan and a software update or two, the issue with the Cherokee was resolved... I decided to hold my further complaints 'til it warms up... Here's hoping! I love my Trailhawk - hoping warmer weather and a couple of adjustment will get it back to normal too. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up my new (was sitting on the dealer lot) 2015 Trailhawk and noticed this right away. I did mention it to the service tech and he was going to look into it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Our 2.4 was doing it then not and then it did other strange things like not shot out of 1st
And stopped a few months ago and has been fine
I could drive up a hill and it would down shift but once over the hill not up shift.
I am waiting for warmer weather here as summer is coming and I think it will start to act up again
I took my skid plate off and had no issue after
I am soon to put it back on and hot weather coming so we will see

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just turned 10000 on mine on the way back from the dealership with that and other problems. Told me they couldn't duplicate the problem so did nothing. It duplicated for me 4 times on the drive home. Cruise set at 73, approach a freeway hill and it downshifts into 7th and stays there until I shift it manually. 15 trailhawk.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just turned 10000 on mine on the way back from the dealership with that and other problems. Told me they couldn't duplicate the problem so did nothing. It duplicated for me 4 times on the drive home. Cruise set at 73, approach a freeway hill and it downshifts into 7th and stays there until I shift it manually. 15 trailhawk.
Were you able to conduct a ride along while your vehicle was at the dealership? – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wish I had not been off of the forums for so many months. This is interesting will any of the original posters reply if they have had any resolution? I am on my 6th tow and over 90 days out of service. You can read my other post on the full update. But after doing more learning it sure seems like there is a problem with the dog clutches. Well not the mechanical side of it but rather the software side of it. My current working theory is that when the dog clutch engages on the 7% grade and the transmission shifts from 5th to 4th the pull on the transmission slows the revolutions down and the algorithm in the computer is not calculating for it and so the rpms stay to high. Which then causes it to not "find" the gear which then stalls the engine. I think possibly spacing of the gears and/or the viscosity of the transmission fluid or the heat shielding for the computer modules might also be in play since it always does it on a 100+ degree day on the exact same place on the mountain.

And no an engineer won't ride with me. And no the dealerships will not authorize overtime to the techs to drive it at the time of day it does it (on my way home from work). And no FCA does not return my calls very timely at all and ignore me when I ask for an engineer or a buyback.

I would love it if anybody has the address for the programmers so that maybe I can send some extra tape for their glasses and some Starbuck's cards because they haven't been able to figure this out in the entire 12 months I have "owned" the thing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My commute to work is part hwy and back roads. I decided to check what gear I'm in during my hwy part. Once I get over 65-70 my car is indeed in 8th gear, I can manually shift to 9th, though. 8th gives me a nice cruising speed. I've taken it up to 85 and still no 9th gear, so not sure when it will ship into 9th.

I've checked this daily over the last week and yeap, it's in 8th every time. I do have a 2016 TH. I've very happy with the transmission and hope it stays that way.

Good luck to everyone having problems.

jjp

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
It sounds to me like unless you are on the German autobahn, the 9th gear isn't much use. I get the impression the nine speed slush box is a gimmick. How often is one going to be travelling fast enough for 9th gear to be of any use? Perhaps FCA should have just used an eight speed gear box.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can attest that my Trailhawk uses 9th on the highway pretty often, but then again it never uses 1st gear unless I shift it there. I think it's good to have the range.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It sounds to me like unless you are on the German autobahn, the 9th gear isn't much use.
It is useful with diesel engines. We have speed limit 80 mph on highway, I usualy put cruise control betwen 70 an 80 (depends on traffic). At that speed engine goes around 1700-2100 rpm in 9th gear and is ideal concidering torque.

Problem is towing. Towing speed limit is 62 mph and computer wants to drive at 1500 rpm, which is a little to low for towing and eventual inclines or wind conditions. In that case just have to switch manual in 8th gear (1800 rpm at 62 mph)

·
Registered
72 Posts
It sounds to me like unless you are on the German autobahn, the 9th gear isn't much use. I get the impression the nine speed slush box is a gimmick. How often is one going to be travelling fast enough for 9th gear to be of any use? Perhaps FCA should have just used an eight speed gear box.
My TH engages 9th all the time on the highway if I'm driving normal speeds. If I try to cruise at over 70 mph, it will stay in 7th to produce enough power to maintain those high speeds.

No gimmick here, just a vehicle that isn't very aerodynamic and that isn't overly powerful so it needs to rev up higher if trying to cruise at high speeds. My TH does start in 2nd though, so I can't speak about the gearing of a non-TH 2.4.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
My TH engages 9th all the time on the highway if I'm driving normal speeds. If I try to cruise at over 70 mph, it will stay in 7th to produce enough power to maintain those high speeds.

No gimmick here, just a vehicle that isn't very aerodynamic and that isn't overly powerful so it needs to rev up higher if trying to cruise at high speeds. My TH does start in 2nd though, so I can't speak about the gearing of a non-TH 2.4.
So what are normal speeds? 60 mph? Less, more?

If you try cruising over 70 and it stays in 7th, what is the point in having another two cogs? Cruising at 70 or 80 mph and it should be in top gear. Every vehicle I have had, car from a small runaround hack to a luxury motor, or motorcycle has always cruised in top gear. As it should be.

I know the Renegade isn't the most aerodynamic vehicle, so surely it would have either been better to use a 7 or 8 speed slush box or give the engine a touch more oomph so it would cruise in top gear. So with 180 ish hp, either give it 190 or 200 hp or use 7 or 8 cogs. What it works like on a little Fiat with a petrol engine, I dunno, but a Jeep is a different vehicle.

As Morning Moon says, it works with a diesel engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So what are normal speeds? 60 mph? Less, more?

If you try cruising over 70 and it stays in 7th, what is the point in having another two cogs? Cruising at 70 or 80 mph and it should be in top gear. Every vehicle I have had, car from a small runaround hack to a luxury motor, or motorcycle has always cruised in top gear. As it should be.

I know the Renegade isn't the most aerodynamic vehicle, so surely it would have either been better to use a 7 or 8 speed slush box or give the engine a touch more oomph so it would cruise in top gear. So with 180 ish hp, either give it 190 or 200 hp or use 7 or 8 cogs. What it works like on a little Fiat with a petrol engine, I dunno, but a Jeep is a different vehicle.

As Morning Moon says, it works with a diesel engine.
My normal cruising speed tends to be around 65 mph since most of the freeways have a 60 mph limit near me, and people drive slowly across all the lanes. There are roads that have a 70 mph limit around here and that is when my Renegade will hold 7th gear over 8th or 9th. It's also largely terrain dependent (uphill vs downhill vs level ground), but my transmission functions exactly as it's supposed to in my experience. I've never wished for less gears, I love the amount of ratios that it provides, the engine would seem even more sluggish with less ratios.

It doesn't have the power to cruise in top gear at 80 mph like you want, the top gears are for fuel efficiency and fuel efficiency goes out the window at those speeds in this type of vehicle, and it doesn't have the low end to cruise at those speeds without downshifting. My Renegade is by far the slowest vehicle that I've ever owned (well, other than my Honda Grom), but thanks to the amount of ratios and gearing, it feels pretty peppy around town.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got done driving home from dinner on the freeway, at 60 mph, it was turning about 1500 rpm in 9th gear. At 70 mph, it was at about ~1750 rpm in 9th gear but then quickly downshifted to 8th when the road got less level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2015 trailhawk with 9000 miles on it. It's the 4 cylinder 9 speed. It is currently at the dealer for the 4th or 5th time because it won't automatically shift into 8th or 9th. The engines runs at 3300 rpms at 80 mph on the highway, straight, no traffic, steady speed. When you manually shift it to 8th, the rpms drop to 2200-2500. If you speed up it shifts back to 7th and stays there til u manually shift it. We have also had it shift into 8th or 9th in the city running at 45 mph.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
My 2019 Renegade latitude wont switch to 8th or 9th gear on its own doing highway speeds either, also if I manually switch it to 9th, it wont hold speed, itll start to slow down, I seem to get way lower mpg than I should be but I never really thought it was something wrong with the car until I started reading the posts on this forum

21 - 40 of 43 Posts