Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Registered
Yep two months sitting untouched most cars with a lot of electronics will kill the battery.
Somehow FCA got sold batteries that were defective. My battery died in less than a year and I experienced the disconcerting "Christmas Tree " light episode. Terrible feeling. The battery was replaced and everything is ok now. Problem did not reappear.
If you experience anything like this. It's the battery.
Did you have your battery jumped before getting the new battery?

Registered
I own a 2015 Renegade Latitude. Im a nurse been working 60-70 hours a week with the Covid19 pandemic. Got off work early today drove to the river 10min from my house to relax. Was there an hour went to start the car the airbag, check engine, transmission light show began with no engine action. My dad came and jumped it and it started but the check engine and transmission lights are still on and it's locked in park. I really don't have time to deal with a malfunctioning vehicle. I thought there might be an issue with the oil change that I just got 2 days ago but after reading all of the posts on here it's obvious that there's a battery/computer issue. JEEP this is ridiculous and should be a listed as a recall. I'm praying the new battery that we get tomorrow will fix the issue. 馃ゴ

Registered
Sorry to hear of your battery problems and welcome to the forum. There are threads about this happening in other Renegades.

Registered
MsJys, sorry to hear about your issues whilst parked at the riverside for 1hr enjoying yourself during lockdown. Perhaps that 10 minute journey could have been better used by driving directly to your house like any responsible person IMHO would have did, more so a Nurse like yourself. Especially with the possibility of meeting other people should the car fail to start.

Please forgive my retired FireFighter mentality for kicking in when I chat but you had effectively and knowingly broken the rules and put all other road users etc in jeopardy and in turn had there been a crash then it was ALL EMERGENCY SERVICES that you placed at risk alongside your nursing colleagues.

However, thankfully it was a lesson learned and your Father brought your incident to a happier conclusion. We all love our Dads :love:

Rant over!!! :D

If you back page onto page 2 of this topic there are a couple of methods that can get your started once you know what to do. There quite a few additional posts on the forum relating to dead batteries and jump starting incorrectly and thereby causing many of the issues that you have described. I know the topics are there becuase I initiated one of them having also suffered a flat battery just a few weeks ago. In this instance I followed a procedure for jump starting the Jeep that yet another member had posted for us all to read. It worked without any side effects.

Easist method was connect both vehicles together but don't start any engines. Give it a few minutes for a little power to transfer from the good battery to the flat battery. Now turn your engine over and that way you wont blow any of the electrics.

I know it's easy. I can hear you saying, "Sh1t I wish had known that sooner". Believe me, we have all been in your shoes before. ;)(y)

Registered
MsJys, sorry to hear about your issues whilst parked at the riverside for 1hr enjoying yourself during lockdown. Perhaps that 10 minute journey could have been better used by driving directly to your house like any responsible person IMHO would have did, more so a Nurse like yourself. Especially with the possibility of meeting other people should the car fail to start.

Please forgive my retired FireFighter mentality for kicking in when I chat but you had effectively and knowingly broken the rules and put all other road users etc in jeopardy and in turn had there been a crash then it was ALL EMERGENCY SERVICES that you placed at risk alongside your nursing colleagues.

However, thankfully it was a lesson learned and your Father brought your incident to a happier conclusion. We all love our Dads :love:

Rant over!!! :D

If you back page onto page 2 of this topic there are a couple of methods that can get your started once you know what to do. There quite a few additional posts on the forum relating to dead batteries and jump starting incorrectly and thereby causing many of the issues that you have described. I know the topics are there becuase I initiated one of them having also suffered a flat battery just a few weeks ago. In this instance I followed a procedure for jump starting the Jeep that yet another member had posted for us all to read. It worked without any side effects.

Easist method was connect both vehicles together but don't start any engines. Give it a few minutes for a little power to transfer from the good battery to the flat battery. Now turn your engine over and that way you wont blow any of the electrics.

I know it's easy. I can hear you saying, "Sh1t I wish had known that sooner". Believe me, we have all been in your shoes before. ;)(y)
Well since the forum is for cars and car problems keep your rant to yourself pops. The issue would have happened whether I was home or not. Every day I put my life on the line for people EVERYDAY...the last thing I need is your attempt at sarcasm. Now my rant is over 馃槈

Registered
I put my life on the line for 30 years everyday and never complained for doing my job even with the possibility of DEATH on every "shout" but I still obey rules including abiding by "Lockdown Rules" unlike others. ie YOU

If you don't want any anyone questioning what you do then don't tell us.

It is indeed a forum for Jeep owners and their questions so keep it that way.

Quite easily you could have told us you had a battery issue and kept it that, DAUGHTER!!!

I do not believe there was any sarcasm on my part. The truth hurts ;);)

Registered
I put my life on the line for 30 years everyday and never complained for doing my job even with the possibility of DEATH on every "shout" but I still obey rules including abiding by "Lockdown Rules" unlike others. ie YOU

If you don't want any anyone questioning what you do then don't tell us.

It is indeed a forum for Jeep owners and their questions so keep it that way.

Quite easily you could have told us you had a battery issue and kept it that, DAUGHTER!!!

I do not believe there was any sarcasm on my part. The truth hurts ;);)
Gramps whatever your fascination is with me...I'm not interested go annoy someone else. Obviously after 30 years of serving you don't know how to socialize. If you have no info regarding the car keep your piehole shut. And leave me alone before I report you for harassing me. Grampa

Registered
Sorry to hear of your battery problems and welcome to the forum. There are threads about this happening in other Renegades.
Thank you we found an answer at a Jeep dealer. The mechanic said a low voltage battery will cause the problem. He said it's an easy fix new battery and code removal/reset and I'll have my car back in a few hours.

Registered
Thank you we found an answer at a Jeep dealer. The mechanic said a low voltage battery will cause the problem. He said it's an easy fix new battery and code removal/reset and I'll have my car back in a few hours.
Good to hear.

Registered
I am currently.. how do i drive my car? I dont wanna tow it to the dealer
Sorry, no better options unless you can buy a brand new battery and bring it back to your jeep and change it where it is. A jump isn鈥檛 enough juice for the electronics to clear and unlock the transmission. I had to have mine towed from a parking garage, took a whole day to get a low clearance t bar tower, home to the dealer to put a new battery in the next day and clear the codes. I lost 2 days of work and $600 to a low battery.

Registered
Hi all,
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk.

Was away for 2 months and when I returned home, the vehicle won't turn over and I am getting multiple warning lights (prior to leaving - no issues, worked fine).

I was able to start it with a portable battery charger and have let it run for 30min. However, I am still getting a service engine warning light, service transmission warning light and blinking odometer. In addition, I can not shift out of park.

When I did popped the bevel and tried to shift using the emergency override, the shifter gets stuck in neutral and I can not put it in drive. No issues moving between park and reverse. I was able to put it back in park, but there it sits.

I tried disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a bit, but once I reconnected it, same thing.

So now, I can start the Jeep but I can't shift it out of park and I have a couple of warning lights. To complicate matters, I'm on the 9th floor of a parking garage. Any ideas on how to get this thing moving again? Thanks. Super frustrated...
Mines had to be towed. The manufacturer transmission settings were reset...car is riding fine. Apparently when the battery dies it cause a few issues once a new 1 is installed.

Registered
Mines had to be towed. The manufacturer transmission settings were reset...car is riding fine. Apparently when the battery dies it cause a few issues once a new 1 is installed.
I had same problem with my car when the battery became weak and needed replacement. Here is the Jeep dealer fix as per there invoice:

Found the proxi and vehicle configuration to have been lost causing the vehicle to not shift. Will need to flash the PCM and re-configure the vehicle.
Flashed the BCM and DTCM from 0902 to OAIF as well as re-proxi aligned all modules.
Found the vehicle to run and drive normal while on test drive.

Registered
I had same problem with my car when the battery became weak and needed replacement. Here is the Jeep dealer fix as per there invoice:

Found the proxi and vehicle configuration to have been lost causing the vehicle to not shift. Will need to flash the PCM and re-configure the vehicle.
Flashed the BCM and DTCM from 0902 to OAIF as well as re-proxi aligned all modules.
Found the vehicle to run and drive normal while on test drive.
Exact same thing happened to nephew's Diesel Renegade in Brazil. He was listening to the radio for an hour before going home and the battery died. When he managed to turn it back on, the gearbox was dead. He managed to manually change from Park into Drive via the manual shift key but the car wouldn't move.
The car was towed to a Jeep dealer, proxi alignment was put back and they didn't even charge anything neither change the battery.

Registered
Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue - renegade in the parking lot (2015 with 21k miles), when I go to leave today the battery is almost dead, I replace the batter, and now transmission effort and I can't get car out of park (or neutral). Help!
What was needed to get your car back in service? Just happened to me today and I'm not sure what to do. Any help available would be great!

Registered
How many people has this happen to??? Could very well be a life and death situation (imagine having this happen and stuck in the middle of nowhere) "go anywhere, do anything" my ass. Jeep needs to fix this glitch. Seems all they want to do is hide from it. A class action may be the only route. Another one for Hagens/Berman I'm thinking.

Registered
Jeep need another class action for this. They are aware of the issue and do nothing. When ours came back from the dealer (after being towed in of course) what did they state of their work invoice? "Tightened battery cable" what a crock. Nothing about re uploading the software. Why, because they do not want to state the issue in writing.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts