Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Took a two hour drive on the highway semi-hilly, but not a lot of shifting trans temp got up to 170 (a little over 5/8) after about an hour, but remained steady for the second hour.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just took a road trip from Cleveland OH to Charlotte NC all down route 77 roughly 7-7.5 hours and only stopping to fill the tank. I noticed throughout OH the trans temp stayed right at 171. Once I got into WV and was doing a lot more shifting with the hills, it climbed up to 186. Once I noticed it at that temp I tried be a little more cautious on the shifting.

The temp dropped back to 176-181 and remained there for the rest of the trip. Now the Jeep was moderately loaded up doing 75ish. Kinda worried me being as the air temp was in the 50's, how high would it get when the air temp is 90 on the same trip.

Was at the dealer for something else, but asked the service manager and he said its not a concern until it exceed the coolant temp (generally over 200)

·
Registered
49 Posts
From what I was told but this transmission is not like your typical 4-5-6 speeds (well we obviously know this) but it also should be operating at a lower temperature then other transmission.

Per some information from some Cherokee owners with the 9 speed, if the temp reaches 204F then an electric fan kicks on. They say its very loud and noticeable if its on or not. A few have said if that fan was coming on, in normal driving conditions, the transmission failure was likely soon to follow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.