Jeep Renegade Forum banner

261 - 280 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is it possible to convert to that seven thread cable that handles electrical breaks on an ultralight caravan Im planning on renting?
Vincent

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dont think there is but Im not sure... Im guessing it doesnt have a brake controller because the plug on the jeep has only 4 treads instead of 7..

I finally scrapped the idea and converted the back of the jeep into a mini camper during my vacation this summer :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I dont think there is but Im not sure... Im guessing it doesnt have a brake controller because the plug on the jeep has only 4 treads instead of 7..

I finally scrapped the idea and converted the back of the jeep into a mini camper during my vacation this summer :)
Were you able to sleep in the back of your rene?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it, but in a pinch...

I owned a VW golf D that they bought back and i bought the rene. Me and a lady friend used the Golf for a week in the desert and slept inside very comfortable. I layed the front seats forward then put my double air bed in their was kinda nice, but cozy. Even closed the hatch a couple of nights. Of course there wqere no shower or bathroom facilties but we had the wide open spaces for that:). Havent done it with the rene but it is bigger than the Golf so should work just fine.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You guys are a braver bunch than I am....

As a "let's see" test, I laid down the passenger seat, the rear seats and stuck an air mattress across all. Then I laid down. No. Freakin'. Way. And I'm vertically challenged being only 5'6" tall (I don't think it's politically correct to call me "short" anymore.....)

I'd have to be blind-stinkin-caveman-speaking drunk for that to be tolerated more than an overnight trip. Not to mention all your gear stacked high alongside you, inches away. I think sleeping in a casket would be more comfortable. I think those that do sleep inside have convinced themselves that it was okay.

Thinking it's "okay" is like saying that pebble in your shoe doesn't hurt that much...

I had a VW Westfalia Camper, now that I spent weeks in. Sleeping inside my Renegade on purpose and planned ? Nope. In an emergency ? Certainly. I'd rather throw a sleeping bag in the dirt and sleep there or toss it on the roof and sleep there.

The old adage comes to mind, "Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.".

Those that do sleep in your Jeep; more power to you. Just not for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm thinking the perfect camper might be an Aliner Scout Lite. It runs about 1150 dry weight and 130 tongue weight. That's nice. This appears to be a relatively new model. Now Aliners aren't cheap, but I was able to find one for around 7K lightly used online. Still not cheap, but that would finance cheap AND it is the perfect weight. There are a couple of Youtubers with them including mods. That is a decent solution that checks the boxes on weight, etc. Nice. I know at one point in time, Aliner had what was essentially a bed on wheels version that you walked in and it was a bed but that was a long time ago.

You DO need to be cognizant of weight issues in one of these. I had a pop up at 1350 dry lbs 1900 total and a 180 tongue weight I towed for like 10 years with the OLD Subaru Foresters that had a 2400 lb tow rating so I know how far you can push something. Just because they say it has a 2000 lb tow rating, doesn't mean you should actually tow that much. You could probably retrofit electric brakes onto one of these and put in a brake controller IF you were worried about that. I would probably try to stay in the 1500 lb range max if I was going to tow with one of these. I have the tow package and may be using my small utility trailer upon occasion that Lowes sells pretty cheap. that also has a highway running package...as opposed to Harbor Freight trailers that are NOT made to really run on highways...

The smallest Lowes trailer is like 400 bucks with discounts and is 3.5 X 5 and I've seen them modded for camping. You can flip the axle easy (probably don't even need to) and get a few inches lift and it will hold a lot of stuff even unmodded for like camping. Very nice little trailers. I've used mine for taking garden tree limbs etc. to the transfer station etc., but I can see the potential for much more. Google youtube 3X5 by 5 Lowes trailer and take a look. The trailer itself weight less than 250 lbs and the back pulls off as an opening. I put a plywood bottom and sides on mine easy just for hauling stuff. It was cheap and easy. That might be fun... Some hinges, side supports a tent.... You all got me thinking...and that is dangerous... I have a travel trailer but....

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Those Aliner Scout Lite's flatten out nicely for towing. cute even.
I don't think that you would have any trouble towing that around.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You guys are a braver bunch than I am....

As a "let's see" test, I laid down the passenger seat, the rear seats and stuck an air mattress across all. Then I laid down. No. Freakin'. Way. And I'm vertically challenged being only 5'6" tall (I don't think it's politically correct to call me "short" anymore.....)

I'd have to be blind-stinkin-caveman-speaking drunk for that to be tolerated more than an overnight trip. Not to mention all your gear stacked high alongside you, inches away. I think sleeping in a casket would be more comfortable. I think those that do sleep inside have convinced themselves that it was okay.

Thinking it's "okay" is like saying that pebble in your shoe doesn't hurt that much...

I had a VW Westfalia Camper, now that I spent weeks in. Sleeping inside my Renegade on purpose and planned ? Nope. In an emergency ? Certainly. I'd rather throw a sleeping bag in the dirt and sleep there or toss it on the roof and sleep there.

The old adage comes to mind, "Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.".

Those that do sleep in your Jeep; more power to you. Just not for me.
I think it will work if you lay the front seat forward and then a double air bed will fit. of course you wont be flat your head will be on the front seat but it works. Try it you will be surprised. I used to sleep this way in my VW golf 2 door and was very comfy with my dady and i am 5' 10.5" tall. The Golf is smaller than the renegade. Oh and i did have extra clothing and stuff in the back which made the angle for your upper body less acute

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Jeep Renegade 4X4 Longitude 2.0 140bhp pulls, launches and recovers from sand my boat and trailer (including fuel, batteries and engine) for a combined weight of around 800kg. (I use a braked trailer) Thats well under what it can pull and it does it with ease. Round trip is around 180 miles on a combined motorway, urban and city.

There is no reason to believe some tales that this car cannot handle it. For 3 years (its a 2016 plate) my car has been regularly doing this task. To date I have only renewed 4 tyres.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Car is Renegade 4x4 2.0 Longitude. It's towing an Explorer Elite 2 boat with a total combined weight including trailer of around 950kg. Though I have shown the fuel consumption on a previous topic I will show it here to further demonstrate that the Jeep Renegade is not just a "A car with a Jeep badge" even if the engine is Fiat based. Boat has just been towed from Dover in southern England to Glasgow in the West of Scotland on a journey of around 520 miles. The Jeep itself as the tow vehicle had to get down there so the overall mileage for the return journey is 1041.8 miles as shown on the odometer.

May I once again suggest that IMHO the Renegade is personally for me a fantastic car. The boat sat perfectly behind the car and my engine even in cruise control was rarely dropped from 6th to 5th gear for uphill inclines on the motorway. A sheer delight to drive this car.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I am sure that your 2.0l gets a lot better fuel economy then my 2.4l gaser.
My average mpg is down to 17.9 with mods and upgrades. And that is without towing anything. lol

... we/I didn't have the option for diesel engine in my area.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I believe I've landed on my feet with "chipping" the Renegade as it's certainly working for me and must have paid for itself by now.

Have a look at the UK website above. I am not an agent of any sort for them but if Renegade owners don't pass on our experiences to each other then the forum wouldn't be a place of education.

You guys have so much to offer by way of practical applications and solutions and this is my small contribution.

18mpg would kill me in any car if it wasn't used for only a few local journeys every week :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Jeep looks to be sitting good with that boat in tow.

Here our Renegades are rated to tow 1k pounds, or 2k with a towing package, if I undretsnad my manual correctly. So you are just over the max with a tow package for a Renegade here in the States.

What is your diesel rated to tow?

Did you happen to notice what your trans temps were while towing Vs. non-towing?

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
This is a quote straight off the Jeep website:

2.0 MultiJet II 140 hp 4WD Max towing weight - braked trailer (kg) 1500

I had no temperature concerns when towing.

Hope that helps. (y)

261 - 280 of 317 Posts