Jeep Renegade Forum banner

281 - 285 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
On recollection the only overheating I recall smelling were the 2 rear tyres.

It also did it on another boat/trailer I had as there was too much nose weight.

Once the trailer was balanced that smell went away. I know this boat was a little heavier to hitch up. Thankfully my mate can easily fix that. :LOL:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I received a call from my mate yesterday with a further update of the boat I was towing (the pic is on the forum) at Xmas time and on one hand it's bad news or good depending on your view.

We all tow trailers but how many of us truly know the full weight of the combined trailer and load?

As the driver I believed in what I could see and as you are all likely to do, I drove the trailer accordingly for almost 500 miles in the belief I was within the legal towing weights for car and trailer combined etc.

Oh Boy what a shock!!! Its been 3 1/2 weeks since trailering the boat and the mate whilst moving the axle to compensate for a very heavy tow hitch seen a small but steady droplet of water from under the boat. He wipes it dry and it's still there. Tries again and peels back a tiny bit of anti foul paint and the droplet is now a drip. As he moves the towbar he hears a sloshing noise from within the hull. Closer inspection revealed a second drain plug and when opened it flowed for 45 minutes. The boat on the day we picked it up had been in water all it's days and had been transferred to the trailer hours before we arrived. No wonder in darkness that we failed to see a tiny droplet of water falling from the boat.

He reckons there was approximately 2 tonne of water within the inner hull (2m x 2m x 1m volume = 2 to tonne or 2k litres) that had slowly been draining off for 3 1/2 weeks hence he could hear the sloshing noise.

Now considering that my Jeep Renegade 2.0 4x4 towed it effortlessly I now think is testament to how reliable those cars really are.

None of us should ever think that our judgement when towing is infallible just as I found out my mistake.

Things could easily have turned out for the worse. lesson learned for me.

(ps. If this is in the wrong forum then please link it to my other post (y):D

281 - 285 of 285 Posts