Jeep Renegade Forum banner

281 - 300 of 317 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
On recollection the only overheating I recall smelling were the 2 rear tyres.

It also did it on another boat/trailer I had as there was too much nose weight.

Once the trailer was balanced that smell went away. I know this boat was a little heavier to hitch up. Thankfully my mate can easily fix that. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I received a call from my mate yesterday with a further update of the boat I was towing (the pic is on the forum) at Xmas time and on one hand it's bad news or good depending on your view.

We all tow trailers but how many of us truly know the full weight of the combined trailer and load?

As the driver I believed in what I could see and as you are all likely to do, I drove the trailer accordingly for almost 500 miles in the belief I was within the legal towing weights for car and trailer combined etc.

Oh Boy what a shock!!! Its been 3 1/2 weeks since trailering the boat and the mate whilst moving the axle to compensate for a very heavy tow hitch seen a small but steady droplet of water from under the boat. He wipes it dry and it's still there. Tries again and peels back a tiny bit of anti foul paint and the droplet is now a drip. As he moves the towbar he hears a sloshing noise from within the hull. Closer inspection revealed a second drain plug and when opened it flowed for 45 minutes. The boat on the day we picked it up had been in water all it's days and had been transferred to the trailer hours before we arrived. No wonder in darkness that we failed to see a tiny droplet of water falling from the boat.

He reckons there was approximately 2 tonne of water within the inner hull (2m x 2m x 1m volume = 2 to tonne or 2k litres) that had slowly been draining off for 3 1/2 weeks hence he could hear the sloshing noise.

Now considering that my Jeep Renegade 2.0 4x4 towed it effortlessly I now think is testament to how reliable those cars really are.

None of us should ever think that our judgement when towing is infallible just as I found out my mistake.

Things could easily have turned out for the worse. lesson learned for me.

(ps. If this is in the wrong forum then please link it to my other post (y):D

·
Super Moderator
4,087 Posts
Or just add the brakes to the trailer you have now.

Reactions: bfloyd4445

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jetski towing

I am towing two Jetskis. I has done great on the road and at the ramp!! I installed the under the bumber hitch
Where did you get the under bumper hitch? I have no clue where to start looking for parts and accessories. That sounds much better than changing my bumper out.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Renegade Altitude 4x4
94 Posts
Where did you get the under bumper hitch? I have no clue where to start looking for parts and accessories. That sounds much better than changing my bumper out.
You may want to check with U-Haul...a lot of times they have tow kits available for vehicles that don't require modification of your rear bumper.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
419 Posts
As Renegade Camping said, U-Haul does make hitches for countless vehicles. Try this link, these are the options for the Renegade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally even though a Class III hitch is over kill for our purposes, I would always choose that if I had the choice... As 90% of trailer accessories use this. Now since you already have a smaller hitch I would either drill out and use the riser ball or live with the slight drop. If money is no issue, then sell the old receiver and buy a new one.
I agree. I had the class III installed yesterday nothing is overkill when you are covered. It weighs not much more than the puny ones. Looks better. I'll see off road if too low but priorities. I go off road alot but I rather have trailer pulled. Glad to know I made the right decision. people said buy and adapter to get to 2'' ball receiver.... You'll never use that hitch capacity on a renegade yada yada... I ignored them did what I thought was right for my Jeep.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Renegade Sport Upland Edition 4x4 with Northern package
25 Posts
I urge everyone to go slow when thinking of this vehicle for towing, ESPECIALLY if you don't have the factory tow package. Towing is not it's strong point. Add to this the fact that the 9spd is the only recommended transmission, and a strong transmission is key for towing, along with the short wheelbase, etc, ...the red lights are there people.
If you're remotely thinking of doing any kind of serious towing, consider another vehicle. Anything more than lawnmowers, dirt bikes, wave runners, etc, should NOT be considered.
Has anyone tried towing with their Renegade? If so, how heavy of a trailer have you towed and what engine/transmission combo do you have? How does the Renegade perform while towing?
Hi everyone, i have a 2018 jeep renegade upland edition 2.4I W 9spd transmission and I towed a 5 x 8 uhaul trailer this past march from upstate New York to central Florida.
No issues to report other then gas consumption, which was to be expected considering the extra weight. You just have to take your time when towing. Yes, the tow requirements for the renegade is a 2.4 L / 9 speed automatic transmission with a max weight of 2000 lbs. That's for trailer/cargo/ and anything inside the jeep as well. Good luck and happy trails

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi everyone, i have a 2018 jeep renegade upland edition 2.4I W 9spd transmission and I towed a 5 x 8 uhaul trailer this past march from upstate New York to central Florida.
No issues to report other then gas consumption, which was to be expected considering the extra weight. You just have to take your time when towing. Yes, the tow requirements for the renegade is a 2.4 L / 9 speed automatic transmission with a max weight of 2000 lbs. That's for trailer/cargo/ and anything inside the jeep as well. Good luck and happy trails
Really? 2000lbs max weight? That doesn't sound right...that out of the manual? I need to look that up as I'd surely expect it to be able to handle more than that. It's not as though I'm looking to tow an 18' trailer with the thing, but I may step up into a small adventure trailer at some point. Have this one in mind...

At a base model weight of 700lbs, it's pretty ideal and I don't foresee the Renegade having any issues pulling it along.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Really? 2000lbs max weight? That doesn't sound right...that out of the manual? I need to look that up as I'd surely expect it to be able to handle more than that. It's not as though I'm looking to tow an 18' trailer with the thing, but I may step up into a small adventure trailer at some point. Have this one in mind...

View attachment 2396348624

At a base model weight of 700lbs, it's pretty ideal and I don't foresee the Renegade having any issues pulling it along.
Yes, the manufacturers gross weight towing capacity is 2000 lbs. Found the information in the owners manual of my 2018 jeep renegade upland edition .

·
Registered
25 Posts
You may want to check with U-Haul...a lot of times they have tow kits available for vehicles that don't require modification of your rear bumper.
I had my under bumper hitch installed at uhaul. Comes with lifetime warranty for hitch and 2 year warranty for wiring. Best if you look it up at uhaul.com , choose which hitch you want, class II or class III. Then set an installation date and time. All in all the price was about 500.00 USD for the hitch, wiring harness and the installation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had my under bumper hitch installed at uhaul. Comes with lifetime warranty for hitch and 2 year warranty for wiring. Best if you look it up at uhaul.com , choose which hitch you want, class II or class III. Then set an installation date and time. All in all the price was about 500.00 USD for the hitch, wiring harness and the installation.
I called the dealership to see what they'd charge to add the tow package to my Renegade, and if I recall correctly, they wanted something in the neighborhood of $2k. As I'll not be rock crawling with my Renegade, I'm not all that concerned with what a non-factory trailer hitch will do to my departure angle, so $500 is sounding pretty sweet compared to thousands from the dealership.

281 - 300 of 317 Posts