Jeep Renegade Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Renegade Sport Upland Edition 4x4 with Northern package
25 Posts
I called the dealership to see what they'd charge to add the tow package to my Renegade, and if I recall correctly, they wanted something in the neighborhood of $2k. As I'll not be rock crawling with my Renegade, I'm not all that concerned with what a non-factory trailer hitch will do to my departure angle, so $500 is sounding pretty sweet compared to thousands from the dealership.
Yeah, when I checked with the dealer they wanted around 1500.00 to install a factory hitch. As I wont be doing any rock crawling myself the under bumper hitch works just fine. All in all the hitch from uhaul is a good fit and a good deal. At least for me it works for my towing applications. Good luck and happy trails

·
Super Moderator
4,087 Posts
Buy it from Madness one of our sponsors & put it in your self.
We did it to a club members it only took a few hours and it is the stock hitch! This is the best one for our little Jeeps!
Madness Click me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I read in the owners manual that its only recommended with the 2.4 automatic transmission and is rated to tow 2000lbs...
im curious myself what others might be towing. I thought about getting a hitch myself.
I have a 2016 TrailHawk with the factory tow package and I tow a small teardrop camp trailer. It weighs 900lbs. (dry weight) I have found that even with this you have to be aware of several things. First, climbing hills you find that you will be shifting to higher gears and, depending on the speed, really revving the engine so you may have to slow down if on a very long hill. I found this one out when I was in a 65 mph zone and the hill was both steep and long. Soon, as I was trying to maintain with traffic, a light came on warning that the oil temperature was too hot and to slow down. Next is passing where you will need a MUCH longer space allowed. I also found another smaller issue in that my trailer was set up to be able to charge the trailer battery through the electrical connection as it was a 7 pin connector. This brings up another point that the Renegade has a 4 pin connector and you will need an adapter for a 7 pin trailer. As for charging the battery on the trailer, it could not be done. Even the dealer could not find a way since the Renegade computers monitor everything and will not allow for such a hook up. I did solve the issue by a work around, at least for the TrailHawk since there is a 12 volt outlet in the rear (or the inverter behind the front seat) and that was to run a small battery charger and run the wires to the battery thereby keeping it charged for longer trips. Of course you will also loose some mileage as well. I can get (depending on where I am) anywhere from about 17 to 21 mpg when towing.
All that said if you are towing anything, just be aware of the limitations and enjoy. I do.

·
Registered
2016 Sport Manual
41 Posts
I installed the Avid Radius rear bumper on my 1.4 manual and towed a U-Haul motorcycle trailer with a Ninja 250 on it, my Jeep didn't seem to notice the difference, no fuel economy change (though I only towed it about 70 miles total counting picking up and returning the trailer) and it basically handled like normal but with some rattling behind me of the trailer and having to be careful changing lanes.

I wouldn't do it regularly, but to get a parts bike home it wasn't any issue. I mostly just wanted the hitch for a bike rack, this is just a nice convenience to be able to tow small stuff too. (Yes, I added trailer wiring)

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Rattling at the rear can sometimes be easily resolved:

• A little smidgeon of grease on the tow ball works a treat.
  • Tightening up the ratchet straps after a few miles works as they tend to loosen off slightly
  • If you have a attached a security chain from the trailer to the tow-hitch you may occasionally hear that rattling.
Lane changing is easy if you just take your time and gently ease into the lane. The trailer will follow along nicely. Ensure that you have the correct pressure in the trailer tyres. Ensure you have the appropriate nose weight on the tow-hitch. Too heavy and you weigh down the rear of the Jeep thus leaving steering a little light at the front. Too light and it will tend to wobble around and partially snake about the lane. Perhaps that is causing you an issue when lane changing.

Without using scales etc you should be able to lift the trailer with 2 hands without excessive leg squatting, using 2 of you or puffing and panting.

Hope that helps (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2016 Sport Manual
41 Posts
Not trying to sound ungrateful for your effort post but I've been towing trailers for years, all I was saying is everything went perfectly and the only thing noticeable about having the trailer attached versus without it was making sure there was enough space to merge with a trailer and the rattling was the trailer itself being squeaky and had a few extra security chains of different length on it, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
No worries and you are not being ungrateful. We have members on the forum towing for the first time, others occasionally and like you and I frequently. :D:D:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone tried towing with their Renegade? If so, how heavy of a trailer have you towed and what engine/transmission combo do you have? How does the Renegade perform while towing?
You can tow up to 2000 and get a class III tow hitch. I have a 4X4 Deserthawk automatic. I believe the standard with the 1.4 is less weight. Talk to a dealer if not the 2.4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed the Factory Hitch , Wiring, Bumper, and Insert Cover Needed about 15 - 18 Various Clips for the Inside Right and Left Rear Quarter Panel Covers and the L/s outer Rear Fender Cover. I do have all the Part #'s if you need them . it was not very hard just Time consuming Trying not to break the covers and CLips. :|
Can I have the all the part numbers thanks in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone tried towing with their Renegade? If so, how heavy of a trailer have you towed and what engine/transmission combo do you have? How does the Renegade perform while towing?
many in the number of Renegade groups. I have a class II hitch from Uhaul. Works great. I towed a 1-bedroom Uhaul trailer full with no issues. members of the group tow capers like NuCamp, the TAB 400. I have a friend with a Toyota standard truck pulling a 30" airstream. That's wouldn't be me. I'd pull 2000-2500 respectfully. You get better pictures and answered questions in a group FB.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I built this to tow with my Renegade. First tow was with the Wrangler though. View attachment 2396351072 View attachment 2396351073
Nice idea. Is it long enough to stretch out in and sleep? 2dr!! A real jeep. Thiose long 4dr wranglers are suv's not jeeps in my book, they have greatly restricted ability to get into tight places. I've been toying with buying a rubicon 2dr or a new Bronco. The Bronco has featuresjeep dosent offer. I miss my 1980 CJ5

·
Registered
64 Posts

I towed this a little under 1000 miles, from ND to WA. The biggest issue was mileage. I stayed around 55-60 mph because that's what U-Haul recommends and in the flat windy parts of Montana I was getting around 16mpg. I actually got better mileage (20ish) once I got into the foothills since the wind died down. On the tripover, without the trailer, I got around 24mpg in moderate winds.
It tracked great, even in the wind. I had around 500 lbs of stuff inside all forward of the center point.
I have the factory hitch.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have a 2016 TrailHawk with the factory tow package and I tow a small teardrop camp trailer. It weighs 900lbs. (dry weight) I have found that even with this you have to be aware of several things. First, climbing hills you find that you will be shifting to higher gears and, depending on the speed, really revving the engine so you may have to slow down if on a very long hill. I found this one out when I was in a 65 mph zone and the hill was both steep and long. Soon, as I was trying to maintain with traffic, a light came on warning that the oil temperature was too hot and to slow down. Next is passing where you will need a MUCH longer space allowed. I also found another smaller issue in that my trailer was set up to be able to charge the trailer battery through the electrical connection as it was a 7 pin connector. This brings up another point that the Renegade has a 4 pin connector and you will need an adapter for a 7 pin trailer. As for charging the battery on the trailer, it could not be done. Even the dealer could not find a way since the Renegade computers monitor everything and will not allow for such a hook up. I did solve the issue by a work around, at least for the TrailHawk since there is a 12 volt outlet in the rear (or the inverter behind the front seat) and that was to run a small battery charger and run the wires to the battery thereby keeping it charged for longer trips. Of course you will also loose some mileage as well. I can get (depending on where I am) anywhere from about 17 to 21 mpg when towing.
All that said if you are towing anything, just be aware of the limitations and enjoy. I do.
You mean lower gears, higher gears would lug the engine, lower gears would increase engine rpm delivering more power for climbing hills. I like you use the manual mode quite a bit especially when going slow in the dirt.
Interesting what you say about charging. I havent towed yet but i thought the tow package included a trailer pulug in? I'll have to check.

·
Registered
417 Posts
View attachment 2396351088
I towed this a little under 1000 miles, from ND to WA. The biggest issue was mileage. I stayed around 55-60 mph because that's what U-Haul recommends and in the flat windy parts of Montana I was getting around 16mpg. I actually got better mileage (20ish) once I got into the foothills since the wind died down. On the tripover, without the trailer, I got around 24mpg in moderate winds.
It tracked great, even in the wind. I had around 500 lbs of stuff inside all forward of the center point.
I have the factory hitch.
Is that a winch you have on the front? How is it mounted?

301 - 317 of 317 Posts