Jeep Renegade Forum banner
321 - 340 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I urge everyone to go slow when thinking of this vehicle for towing, ESPECIALLY if you don't have the factory tow package. Towing is not it's strong point. Add to this the fact that the 9spd is the only recommended transmission, and a strong transmission is key for towing, along with the short wheelbase, etc, ...the red lights are there people.
If you're remotely thinking of doing any kind of serious towing, consider another vehicle. Anything more than lawnmowers, dirt bikes, wave runners, etc, should NOT be considered.
What about a 1200lb pop up camper?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone!

my husband and I are moving to FL next week. I have a renegade/ husband has a smart car. Has anyone tried to take a smart car through a tow dolly? Renegade already has a hitch installed. Smart car is supposed to weigh 1800 lbs but when I add that I was the tow dolly on the uhaul page I get a message saying the renegade and smart car combo is not recommended - no explanation why.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone tried towing with their Renegade? If so, how heavy of a trailer have you towed, and what engine/transmission combo do you have? How does the Renegade perform while towing?
Hi everyone!

my husband and I are moving to FL next week. I have a renegade/ husband has a smart car. Has anyone tried to take a smart car through a tow dolly? Renegade already has a hitch installed. Smart car is supposed to weigh 1800 lbs but when I add that I was the tow dolly on the uhaul page I get a message saying the renegade and smart car combo is not recommended - no explanation why.
people do tow with a renegade like ski boats, jet skis, light RV's. I towed a Uhaul trailer moving 600 miles. No issues. I have a class 3 hitch from UHaul. On the FB Renegade group, one person towed up to 2500 with a 2.4. No issues said. I would worry more about the oil consumption and heat of the engine. The book says up to 2000. I think Jeep underrates that to be safe from liability.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Freck me, I posted a few years ago about the "tonnage" I towed as my mates boat was unknowingly full of water.

A wee smart car will be fine.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Renegade Sport Upland Edition 4x4 with Northern package
30 Posts
Hi everyone!

As I have said in a previous post, I have a 2018 renegade upland edition 4x4 and I towed a 5x8 trailer from New York to Florida and back with no issues. My uhaul installed hitch is rated for up to 3500 lbs . The renegade is rated for up to 2000lbs. I was probably over the 2000lbs with what was in the trailer and inside the renegade, which includes 3 people. However, I did make frequent stops for fuel and to kinda let the car rest too. I did notice that the fuel consumption is higher when towing . Just take it slow, drive at a slower speed.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi everyone!

thats because when you add the weight of the dolly you are over the recomended wqeight limit for the renegade. If I was you i would go buy a used dolly and go for it just drive SLOW, 55-60 max and it will be fine. You do have the 2.4L engine right. And when going up hill you may have to use the paddle shifter to keep it in a lower gear so your in the best rpm for power. Make sure all lights work and keep in mind that you must start slowing down way in advance of a stop to save your brakes

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Renegade Sport Upland Edition 4x4 with Northern package
30 Posts
As I have said in a previous post, I have a 2018 renegade upland edition 4x4 and I towed a 5x8 trailer from New York to Florida and back with no issues. My uhaul installed hitch is rated for up to 3500 lbs . The renegade is rated for up to 2000lbs. I was probably over the 2000lbs with what was in the trailer and inside the renegade, which includes 3 people. However, I did make frequent stops for fuel and to kinda let the car rest too. I did notice that the fuel consumption is higher when towing . Just take it slow, drive at a slower speed.
The other thing that I would recommend is to put the heavy stuff towards the back of the trailer ( meaning the heavy stuff in first ).
And when going up hills use the lower gears. Break a lot earlier than you normally would as well. Remember you're pulling extra weight.
Good luck and safe travels.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The other thing that I would recommend is to put the heavy stuff towards the back of the trailer ( meaning the heavy stuff in first ).
And when going up hills use the lower gears. Break a lot earlier than you normally would as well. Remember you're pulling extra weight.
Good luck and safe travels.
Good advice but you must remember that going down a steep hill loaded in the front all the trailers weight will be shifted onto the car. This can put a tremendous strain on the rear axle suspension and tires.
What i do is put the heavy stuff over the trailer axle then adjust the trailer tongue so that it is level when hooked to the car. When hauling 55 gallon drums of honey my weight is between 10 and 15,000 pounds I find this method works best. I often cross three mountain ranges with the honey. I used to do the 10% thing on the hitch but found leveling makes for a better ride and less strain on my truck. I used a three foot level on the tongue to check for plume. This method makes for far less strain on rear axles rear suspension and tires.

Just check and double check everything and drive slow. Its ok to be the slowest rig out there and it will get you there almost as fast and in one piece.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Nice! Any advice about what gear to drive on? Maybe 4 wheel drive? Will be driving 1400 miles.
2 wheel drive all the way. I was sitting at 55mph the whole way on motorway.

4wd is only used if I go off road especially launching and recovering my boat. As mentioned above do not permanently drive in 4wd or you will "wind up" the drive and then face a massive bill for repairs.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
do have the 2.4L engine right. And when going up hill you may have to use the paddle shifter to keep it in a lower gear so your in the best rpm for power. Make sure all lights work and keep in mind that you must start slowing down way in advance of a stop to save your brakes
It amazes me that ordinary drivers cannot understand this simple concept of taking the foot off the accelerator and let the vehicle simply slow down.

Oh no, its constantly, touch the brake and we see the red lights, brake again, more red lights. But wait one! They were right up each others asses (tailgaters).

As Floyd says, hang back, reduce speed without braking is a brilliant and easy concept that you really do need to adopt.:love:

·
Registered
480 Posts
2 wheel drive all the way. I was sitting at 55mph the whole way on motorway.

4wd is only used if I go off road especially launching and recovering my boat. As mentioned above do not permanently drive in 4wd or you will "wind up" the drive and then face a massive bill for repairs.
I thought the rene was all wheel drive as needed but could be locked in via software to full time 4x4. I know mine works that way

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
I could never try to explain how the 4x4 system works on the Renegade. All I know is that my model is badged as 4x4 and I turn a rotory dial to engage it opposed to proper 4x4's with the 2 gear levers

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
I understand the video, fully.

The point is that unless I am mistaken a Renegade without the 4x4 capability is merely a 2 wheel front drive vehicle. It can never have the 4 wheel capability as described in the video simply because it doesn't have it fitted.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I could never try to explain how the 4x4 system works on the Renegade. All I know is that my model is badged as 4x4 and I turn a rotory dial to engage it opposed to proper 4x4's with the 2 gear levers
if you have a trailhawk you are in AWD untill you lock it into a particular mode by turning the knob. Great system my only complaint is there is no true diff lock mode

321 - 340 of 345 Posts