Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently we have been having random starting issues. We get in depress brake pedal and press the start button. Dash lights up but the engine does start. Sometimes the start is delayed several seconds. Other times is takes several attempts to get it fired up.

Once started it runs fine, no warning lights on dash. It usually only happens once a day, most often in the morning or sometimes if it has been parked several hours.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

17 Sport with 6,000 miles.
My 2017 Renegade just started to do the exact same thing, dealer is a week out on appointments, did your dealer ever find a resolution?

·
Registered
4 Posts
HELP! My 2015 jeep renegade limited won't start. All the electronics work, its not showing any fault or warning lights.
Sometimes it will just click, other times it sputters & doesn't catch. What can I do??

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Looks like it's time to call the towtruck.

Alternatively try a different battery after disconnecting your original battery and reconnecting one you know has a full charge.

Be careful if you decide to Jumpstart your Jeep as it's been known to cause further electrical issues if not done properly as per your manual.

A couple of posts previous and the guys says it was his injectors. Your Jeep may be different but at least you are getting a few replies to keep you pondering :D

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I just fixed one like this a couple weeks ago I would crank but not start after it sat for a while or overnight u might have to crank it a couple times or it would nust take a few seconds sometimes in my case it was injector #3 bleeding off.
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the form.

Good information, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like it's time to call the towtruck.

Alternatively try a different battery after disconnecting your original battery and reconnecting one you know has a full charge.

Be careful if you decide to Jumpstart your Jeep as it's been known to cause further electrical issues if not done properly as per your manual.

A couple of posts previous and the guys says it was his injectors. Your Jeep may be different but at least you are getting a few replies to keep you pondering :D
Thank you!
This time it was the battery, although I'm still noticing it takes a little longer to "catch" when I press the start button.

It may be of note, my jeep is booked in April 6 (reliant of course on Covid-19 lockdown rules), to have the turbo replaced. Apparently a known issue, and one which I would like to have been advised of.

The "symptoms" I noticed were, sometimes you'd put your foot down to accelerate and there was a significant lack of power (acceleration). Secondly, intermittently the cruise control would disengage and become unavailable for the remainder of the trip. Sometimes it would resolve after the car had been switched off for awhile. Other times it would do it again.
Not ideal on a highway!

Nevermind, I'll see if it works!
Thanks again

·
Registered
45 Posts
  1. I'm glad that solved your problem.ive been having a similar problem. For me, all I had to do was clean the battery terminals. They weren't corroded, just oxidized .

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I was confused by Sean's post ie oxidisation v corrosion but that's my fault. Googling and reading another forum produced this little gem of info that may be the root cause of a lot of your electrical issues.

It also gives a great variety of methods for cleaning your terminals. Click the link.

Clean your terminals

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was confused by Sean's post ie oxidisation v corrosion but that's my fault. Googling and reading another forum produced this little gem of info that may be the root cause of a lot of your electrical issues.

It also gives a great variety of methods for cleaning your terminals. Click the link.

Clean your terminals

Clean your terminals
Ah...I see the red sentence thingamajig!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 TH and just stated to have the same issue as Priell3 did, the break peddle is hard to push down and the start button does nothing. If I try many times, or wait a random amount of time, it will eventually start. Did anyone ever get this problem fixed?

I have my Jeep at the dealer and they found nothing wrong, no bad codes, no problem, battery checked good. So I get to pick it up, but I know I will be back in a day or two with the same issue.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I have a 2017 TH and just stated to have the same issue as Priell3 did,...
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

As stupid as it may sound, disconnect the battery for a minutes and reconnect. I have a feeling the Fiat place a quick disconnect on the negative battery terminal for a reason... lol just sayin

I lot of errors can be corrected by disconnecting the negative cable, or after a couple years, the factory battery may need to be replaced.
I had to replace my battery twice in two years. Pick up a yellow top Optima and never had a battery related issue again.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have a 2017 TH and just stated to have the same issue as Priell3 did

I have my Jeep at the dealer and they found battery checked good.
Hi Gibbs, keep in mind that a 12v battery must read approx. 12.7 volts to be around 75%-80% charged. I think it's around 12.65v that a battery is considered flat.

All it takes is the garage to have a quick look and see 12v......something. Then pass it is as being in working order when in reality the battery is bordering on being flat.

Please note that you are not alone with being advised to get a new battery as I too suffered the same as you. I dragged my heels, poo pooed the forum members until I bought a new battery. That was the day of reckoning. At last I had seen the light and now the Jeep starts perfectly. (y)(y)(y)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts